Vi Mazzella

Discrimination...

157 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
:blink: OMG, some people just amaze me with their ignorance. I recently was asked if Germany isn't that country in Africa right next to Egypt and why I was white then?!?!

Algermany? :whistle:

heh

1/2 a point for that one ;)

How about Nigermany?

Ah....I get it now. They meant Jordan, of course.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
:blink: OMG, some people just amaze me with their ignorance. I recently was asked if Germany isn't that country in Africa right next to Egypt and why I was white then?!?!

Algermany? :whistle:

heh

1/2 a point for that one ;)

How about Nigermany?

Ah....I get it now. They meant Jordan, of course.

Awwww I was teasin ya! it was v funny.

Algermany was better. in fact I should have given you 3 points ;)

When my family moved to the United States, we have suffered from a lot of racism. The Europeans (those who lived here for generations, avoiding the collective term white) perceive us as cheap, thugs, grass eaters, dog eaters, and they also love to vandalize our property. Over the years, the occurrence of these incidents decreased. However, there are still remnants and residuals of these racism surviving in the streets.

Keep a low profile of yourself. That is just a recommendation. Try to blend it with the Americans. For example, when talking to someone use English instead of your native tongue. I always do that. Even when I speak to someone fluent in my tongue, I always use English as much as possible so that I wouldn't make onlookers (those who walk by) thinks I'm saying negative things about people.

LOL, paranoid much?

So, the "Europeans" hate Asians? News to this "European."

Its a shame that more Americans dont get out to other countries....they really are missing so much.

It's a shame that it's so expensive for some Americans to travel to Europe, Asia, Africa, etc. that most of them never go or save their entire lifetimes for that one single trip. Sh!tty exchange rates don't help much. The fact that non-Americans persistently delight in telling us what ignorant idiots we are probably doesn't help either. We can get harassed at home for free. ;)

I hope you are not insinuating that I called americans ignorant idiots. I was just saying that they miss a lot by not visiting Europe.

I do agree about the exchange rate though, I think another reason is the limited time off from work you are entitled to. Hardly seems worthwhile to leave the country.

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

I hope you are not insinuating that I called americans ignorant idiots. I was just saying that they miss a lot by not visiting Europe.

No, but as an American living in the UK I hear it every single day without fail. If I don't hear it from the lovely citizens of the United Kingdom, I hear it from the distinguished, unbiased BBC.

I do agree about the exchange rate though, I think another reason is the limited time off from work you are entitled to. Hardly seems worthwhile to leave the country.

I disagree. It doesn't take even half a day to fly to Europe from the west coast, I don't see that as being a reason at all. Growing up in the USA affords me a perspective that Europeans don't have...it's mostly about cost. People will take extra time off to take a vacation, and the vacation explanation doesn't explain why retirees may not decide to visit Europe.

I think it's too expensive, plus we know when we're not wanted.

I was just saying that they miss a lot by not visiting Europe.

What are they missing? What does Europe have that America doesn't? :wacko:

Yeah, I'm sort of with you on that. Even tho I live overseas, I hate to travel. We've only gone across the channel once since I moved here six years ago. Europe's on my doorstep, and I don't care. I haven't visited it and I don't feel I've missed out. I visited Europe more frequently when I lived in the USA. :lol: :lol: :lol:

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

No, but as an American living in the UK I hear it every single day without fail. If I don't hear it from the lovely citizens of the United Kingdom, I hear it from the distinguished, unbiased BBC.

I disagree. It doesn't take even half a day to fly to Europe from the west coast, I don't see that as being a reason at all. Growing up in the USA affords me a perspective that Europeans don't have...it's mostly about cost. People will take extra time off to take a vacation, and the vacation explanation doesn't explain why retirees may not decide to visit Europe.

I think it's too expensive, plus we know when we're not wanted.

Yeah, I'm sort of with you on that. Even tho I live overseas, I hate to travel. We've only gone across the channel once since I moved here six years ago. Europe's on my doorstep, and I don't care. I haven't visited it and I don't feel I've missed out. I visited Europe more frequently when I lived in the USA. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not even gonna respond, it wont matter to you anyway.

Good Luck in your life when you get back to the GOOD OLE US OF A!!!!!!!!!!!

Thousands of years of history, and culture

DCF - London

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

There's really nothing you can say; I don't think you're right, you don't think I am, nobody's going to change anyone's mind.

Ugh. UGH. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I HATE it when Europeans say this. Do they not realize that people with their own history and their own culture have been living in north and south America for tens of thousands of years? It's so ARROGANT of them to think that history did not start in the Americas until after THEY arrived.

Go tell a Native American that they don't have thousands of years of history and culture...see what they tell you. I dare you. Please film it.

24 June 2007: Leaving day/flying to Dallas-Fort Worth

There's really nothing you can say; I don't think you're right, you don't think I am, nobody's going to change anyone's mind.

Ugh. UGH. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I HATE it when Europeans say this. Do they not realize that people with their own history and their own culture have been living in north and south America for tens of thousands of years? It's so ARROGANT of them to think that history did not start in the Americas until after THEY arrived.

Go tell a Native American that they don't have thousands of years of history and culture...see what they tell you. I dare you. Please film it.

:whistle::whistle::whistle:

DCF - London

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

I have to agree with everyone on this one...it's a wonderful eye-opener to travel Europe and I'm glad to have done it.

I've seen things many Americans haven't...century old buildings, famous little towns, art - hell, I've seen a piece of art painted during the renaissance from an artist who's supposedly one of my ancestors! Anyways, i suppose for me, it was a wonderful and awe inspiring experience, one which I am so thankful I had.

At the same time, I've heard that 'Americans need to travel more' ironically from people who have never been to America! Pot, Kettle!

I suppose it all boils down to the individual...clearly HA and MW feel there's nowt in Europe that can't be had here....although, I relate quite a bit to HA in the respect that we're both very proud Americans who live/lived in the UK...and please don't underestimate how VASTLY different everything is, ahhahaah. But in York, I'm shocked that things living around things like the City walls, the shambles, York Minster, isn't a mindblowing experience for her! It soooooooo was for me...and not just for the initial part of my stay.

I do feel my expereinces there have changed me for the better. It's good to get out of the fishbowl every now and again.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I know many of you here posting are not rascists (including the Europeans). But, I know many around my neighborhood are. There is a difference between collective total, and collective partial. I made these two terms up to imply something that is obvious. However, I'm sure all of you understand the point. If not, then there is no other way I may explain.

I know myself that even my group (Cambodians) also discriminate too. I just want peace in my neighborhood. All this rascism crimes, and etc...are caused by nothing more but a few kids who has nothing better to do. It spreads to their parents, etc...and sometimes vice versa.

There is no definition to explain who is rascist or who is not. The only way to know is to experience it.

Edited by consolemaster

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

:thumbs:

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Nobody said that Native Americans don't have thousands of years of history and culture, of course they do, and very interesting it is too. I am sure that lots of Europeans that visit the US take away some very interesting facts and cultural information regarding early American civilization.

DCF - London

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

I love America and its where I want to live, but I don't find it to be the end all/be all of culture. I think where Americans could benefit from European travel is to see life beyond our shores, and get a sense of how other people live their day to day lives. I don't give a toss if they 'don't like' me. I'm not going to deprive myself of traveling somewhere I might find interesting or enjoy because the locals may not like me (boo hoo hoo).

Conversely, I'm not going to break my neck to go to a place I have no interest in - whether that's in Europe or any other part of the world.

By the same token, I think Europeans could benefit in the same way by traveling to America, and getting a different sense of us as well.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Latvia
Timeline

Mostly, people here are nice and by the way very interested and curious. :luv:

In their boring life our love story generally is very exciting and touching, some even cry (probably soap operas lovers) :crying: , so they always want to know some more details and ask questions, because, probably they never traveled outside their city.

And if they don't know where is Latvia, I just say that I am between Sweden, Russia, Poland, so mostly they get some clue, but some of then wont have it anyway. :dance:

The most amazing situation I had when I was in bank and I gave my Latvian drivers license, bank stuff was looking at it and asked, Where is this state - Latvia? I did not knew they write day and month different and issue different drivers licenses? :D

What you can do? Have some ironic thought and get going with your things. To suggest each dummy to look in 6grade geography book is impossible.

Some people just watch news (i wouldn't call their journalists the way I understand what is journalism about) and the world is terrible and nothing ever good happens. When they talk in news about something they don't even name country, or even, or give any clue, seems the main idea is dead people number and shocking pictures, information is not important. So whatever i hear people all the time use expressions - out there. Out there, somewhere in bad world, outside USA. And when I say, no we are not allowed to have guns in peace time, and things what you are used here, like school shootings, never! ever! ever! happen there, they just don't believe me and say - your press is not free, they just don't say it. So this is their little illusion secured world, and they don't even want to know anything out there. LOL. :lol:

07/29/2006 – I-129 sent to Vermont

08/04/2006 - NOA1

08/28/2006 - NOA2 - approved

09/01/2006 - NVC - approved

09/07/2006 - Warsaw embassy sent packet 3 (damn post services, never received any)

09/18/2006 - packet 3 sent (Nothing fails)

09/27 - received packet 4

10/10 - medical exam

10/19 - INTERVIEW!

10/20 - received visa

11/7 - arrived in USA, POE YFK

1/19 - Married

02/23/2007 - Civil Surgeon (checked just vaccines for $ 25)

05/04/2007 - AOS package sent to Chicago

05/11/2007 - NOA1

05/15/2007 - NOA2 - ASC appointment letter about biometrics

05/24/2007 - RFE about tax forms w-2 and 1099!!!

06/05/2007 - Biometrics

21/06/2007 - NOA3 - Transfered to California

10/07/2007 - AOS approved, card production ordered!!!

19/07/2007 - Half year marriage anniversary - GC arrives!!!

07/08/2009 - Package sent (My cover letter 40 peaces of evidence)

07/14/2009 - check was cashed

07/10/2009 - NOA 1 received, GK extended for a year

07/17/2009 - received biometrics letter with my case number

08/06/2009 - scheduled biometrics appointment

11/16/2009 - approval

12/01/2009 - touched - card production ordered

2/26/2010 - got ten year card

No more departures!!!

No more typing!!!

Ne mirkli Tu neesi atstājis manas domas,

Tā, ka manas domas aizmirsa pat aizmirstību.

Mīļotais ir ienācis manā teltī,

Un mana sirds ir mulsas pārņemta.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.