Vi Mazzella

Discrimination...

157 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Peru
Timeline

Hey guys.

I will like to know if you had some bad experience with discrimination in this country, I'm a latina living and working in NYC, specifically in the Upper East Side and if you are not familiar with NYC this is one of the richest areas of Manhattan.. The population is mostly white and jewish and honestly there are just a few latinos living there so if they see a latina they assume that we are cleaning people or nannies. I'm not against those jobs and the people that perform those activities is just that upsets me the fact that they get surprised when I tell them that I went to school (Peru) and had a very decent life. They think that 'cause we are latinos we are all here ilegally, NO!!!! I COULD BE LIVING IN MY COUNTRY BUT I FELT IN LOVE WITH A WONDERFUL MAN AND HE'S THE REASON WHY I'M HERE.

Vi

sofsmile-1.jpg

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You dont have to be a latino for people to think you came from a country that does not have what america has to offer.

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

When my family moved to the United States, we have suffered from a lot of racism. The Europeans (those who lived here for generations, avoiding the collective term white) perceive us as cheap, thugs, grass eaters, dog eaters, and they also love to vandalize our property. Over the years, the occurrence of these incidents decreased. However, there are still remnants and residuals of these racism surviving in the streets.

Keep a low profile of yourself. That is just a recommendation. Try to blend it with the Americans. For example, when talking to someone use English instead of your native tongue. I always do that. Even when I speak to someone fluent in my tongue, I always use English as much as possible so that I wouldn't make onlookers (those who walk by) thinks I'm saying negative things about people.

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
Agreed.... I have been told I should go back to Scotland and stop taking good jobs from American people.... I was also asked how long it took me to learn English after I arrived!!!!!!

Kez

:blink: OMG, some people just amaze me with their ignorance. I recently was asked if Germany isn't that country in Africa right next to Egypt and why I was white then?!?!

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

Filed: Timeline

Right after my husband arrived from Egypt, he snagged a job at a movie theater near our home. He requested they put "Moh" on his name tag because he was afraid of people seeing "Mohammed". Well, they printed "Mohammed" on his name tag anyway and one night, as he was taking tickets, a teenaged girl and her boyfriend walked to him with their tickets. The girl read his tag, "Mohammed? Oh my god! Are you going to blow up the theater?" Then she just squealed with laughter thinking it was the wittiest thing she'd ever said.

My husband has also had many Mexicans here confuse him for Mexican. He was in line at the grocery store and two Mexican men started talking to him in their native tongue. Mohammed told them "I'm sorry. I don't understand you." One of the guys became very irrate and accused him in English of being ashamed of his native tongue and being less of a man, and blah blah blah. Mohammed told him "Dude! I'm Egyptian!"

Never and end to it I guess.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Then she just squealed with laughter thinking it was the wittiest thing she'd ever said.
There's a good chance that it was.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Agreed.... I have been told I should go back to Scotland and stop taking good jobs from American people.... I was also asked how long it took me to learn English after I arrived!!!!!!

Kez

:blink: OMG, some people just amaze me with their ignorance. I recently was asked if Germany isn't that country in Africa right next to Egypt and why I was white then?!?!

No way. Seriously!?

Its a shame that more Americans dont get out to other countries....they really are missing so much.

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Yet here...in the neighbouring city that is the closest major source of employment most of the jobs require their applicants to be bi-lingual. Gainesville GA., also known as poultry capital of the world, employs thousands of latinos and latinas. Who cannot speak english. Which is why everyone else has to learn spanish. Which knocks many well qualified applicants out of a job if they are NOT bi-lingual. How fair is that?

Isn't that a form of discrimination?

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Kez

No way. Seriously!?

Really! I didn't know if I should laugh out loud or be all shocked, well, mean as I am I started to laugh. It was just the most absurd thing ever. Anyway, I've seen really ignorant people on German TV as well (those shows when they show reaallllyyyy ignorant people and everybody just laughes about the bs they say). I guess they are just everywhere!!!

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

Discrimination does exist in some people's mind. Some people treat others differently as soon as they find out that their English accent is not American. But most of the American are good.

Hey guys.

I will like to know if you had some bad experience with discrimination in this country, I'm a latina living and working in NYC, specifically in the Upper East Side and if you are not familiar with NYC this is one of the richest areas of Manhattan.. The population is mostly white and jewish and honestly there are just a few latinos living there so if they see a latina they assume that we are cleaning people or nannies. I'm not against those jobs and the people that perform those activities is just that upsets me the fact that they get surprised when I tell them that I went to school (Peru) and had a very decent life. They think that 'cause we are latinos we are all here ilegally, NO!!!! I COULD BE LIVING IN MY COUNTRY BUT I FELT IN LOVE WITH A WONDERFUL MAN AND HE'S THE REASON WHY I'M HERE.

Vi

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

I got 20 questions at Amscot when they wouldn't give my husband a money order b/c he hasn't gotten his SSN yet (greencard has not yet arrived) about what the money was for.

Yeah, that's not their policy and it's none of their business where 800 dollars is going. It wasn't even that much money, and as much as we generally don't blame it on race, this time I'm pretty convinced it was because my husband is brown.

Idiots.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.