Elliott & Nickey

After interview questions

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So I went to my interview today and I was accepted, however I have some questions. I was given a CD disk from my medical, what do I do with this? I heard before about the big brown envelope (BBE) does this come in the mail with my passport/visa? Also I wasn't given back my police certificate, do they return this to you in the mail? Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Elliott & Nickey said:

So I went to my interview today and I was accepted, however I have some questions. I was given a CD disk from my medical, what do I do with this? I heard before about the big brown envelope (BBE) does this come in the mail with my passport/visa? Also I wasn't given back my police certificate, do they return this to you in the mail? Thanks.

Its yours to keep. It's basically just your xrays, just stick it in your suitcase, not useful for much but a memento. Your BBE will arrive by courier post or you can pick it up from the depot, depending on which option you chose. You may open only the part containing the passport/visa. The other envelope must not be opened, and you should carry this with you in your hand luggage. Present it to the immigration officer at your POE.

I honestly don't recall if they give you back the police certificate.. but it's not really an issue as you shouldn't have any use for it in the future. But no they won't return it. Always best to offer copies unless they specifically ask for originals or remember to ask for the originals back in case the officer forgets during your interview.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
10 minutes ago, yuna628 said:

Its yours to keep. It's basically just your xrays, just stick it in your suitcase, not useful for much but a memento. Your BBE will arrive by courier post or you can pick it up from the depot, depending on which option you chose. You may open only the part containing the passport/visa. The other envelope must not be opened, and you should carry this with you in your hand luggage. Present it to the immigration officer at your POE.

I honestly don't recall if they give you back the police certificate.. but it's not really an issue as you shouldn't have any use for it in the future. But no they won't return it. Always best to offer copies unless they specifically ask for originals or remember to ask for the originals back in case the officer forgets during your interview.

Thank you for clearing that up, I really wasn't sure =)

When I handed over the envelope at POE I was looking over while they were opening it and I could see my police certificate that I handed over at my interview in there. I don’t know what they do with it from there but as previously said, you don’t get it back xx

Timeline
1 minute ago, _Mia_ said:

When I handed over the envelope at POE I was looking over while they were opening it and I could see my police certificate that I handed over at my interview in there. I don’t know what they do with it from there but as previously said, you don’t get it back xx

Ah okay, that's fair enough.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

So this raises the question that if you had something show up in on your ACRO/police certificate, do you need to get an extra certified copy to submit with the I-485?  In the I-485 instructions, it says under #11 "You must submit certified police and court records for any criminal charges, arrests, or convictions you may have."   Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  My fiance has his court records, but the ACRO/certified police record was kept by the Embassy and sounds like it will be kept by the border patrol.  He does have a copy of it, but it is not an original.

7 minutes ago, Rahrah0526 said:

So this raises the question that if you had something show up in on your ACRO/police certificate, do you need to get an extra certified copy to submit with the I-485?  In the I-485 instructions, it says under #11 "You must submit certified police and court records for any criminal charges, arrests, or convictions you may have."   Does anyone have any thoughts on this?  My fiance has his court records, but the ACRO/certified police record was kept by the Embassy and sounds like it will be kept by the border patrol.  He does have a copy of it, but it is not an original.

I'll refer you over to these few threads. They may be of some help.

It seems to me though that whatever you stick in the AOS application should be a copy, as no originals will never be returned to you ever. For those that have something in their background and have court records or other evidence, I'd think you'd need copies to send.

Edited by yuna628

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

Timeline
12 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

The big brown envelope is white. 😄

There is an outer wrapper which you open. Take out  your passport, leaving the BWE sealed. Discard the wrapper.

The plot thickens xD

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

As far as the police certificate goes, make some photocopie to keep before you turn in your one and only copy. When you  apply for AOS or citizenship, you can send in a photocopy since nothing original is mailed off with an application.  Should it come up at an interview, the original (if kept by embassy) would be in your file. That whole sealed packet you get from the embassy and turn in at POE is ordered out of storage by USCIS when you apply for AOS and is added to your file. When you interview for citizenship, everything you have ever sent or turned in for immigration will be on the desk. 

BUT.... Did the police certificate actually list the charges or did it say "no live trace"? If not listed, order a subject access report from ACRO for your future record needs. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.