Roel

State taxes as mil spouse.

18 posts in this topic

So here it goes and I'm wondering if anyone have any knowledge of this before I'll take this to professionals. 

So for the tax purpose I claimed the same State my husband claims (even though I'm obviously not the resident). I work for AAFES and during recruitment process I had to pick some State so I just did what I think was right. 

But the problem is since then I always have issues with State taxes - moments ago I got an update from iRS saying my state return was reduced to 0$. #######? Waiting on more explanation for that in mail. Last year I also had problems with this tax. 

During tax filling the person who was helping us mentioned that military spouses (or foreign spouses, sorry don't remember her wording) are somehow relieved from claiming State taxes. 

I was wondering if anyone knows about that? And how to take care of it?  Because after my 0$ return I kind of don't want to give any States my money anymore. (Except for federal tax ofc  :p) 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

16 minutes ago, Londonergirl said:

Don't you have a free tax office on post?

Didn't you read the first paragraph of the post before responding? ;)

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

13 hours ago, Roel said:

Didn't you read the first paragraph of the post before responding? ;)

Yes, I did very much read it - And I just wanted to be nice and make sure that you know that if you are a military spouse there MIGHT be a tax office that you can use for free on base. Most spouses here have no clue about that office where I live. But don't worry, I won't try to help again. :) 

I think the military spouse has to file in the state you are stationed in.  The military member can file the state that he's a resident of, regardless of if it is where he or she is stationed. 

Might be different by state to state, but that was how it was where I was.  

But, as londonergirl suggested, ask someone who knows for sure.  Other local spouses there may be able to answer too.  

In my experience, state taxes are always much more complicated than federal. 

Filed: Other Timeline

If you are employed, your employer might require you be a resident of the state in which you live. You and your military spouse would then have different states of residency. 

You need help.  And, yes, if your base offers assistance, take advantage of it.  DD has volunteered there and has been specially trained to deal with issues facing military members (and he is a non-practicing attorney so you can get more qualified assistance than in the mall or discount store).

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:34 AM, Roel said:

So here it goes and I'm wondering if anyone have any knowledge of this before I'll take this to professionals. 

So for the tax purpose I claimed the same State my husband claims (even though I'm obviously not the resident). I work for AAFES and during recruitment process I had to pick some State so I just did what I think was right. 

But the problem is since then I always have issues with State taxes - moments ago I got an update from iRS saying my state return was reduced to 0$. #######? Waiting on more explanation for that in mail. Last year I also had problems with this tax. 

During tax filling the person who was helping us mentioned that military spouses (or foreign spouses, sorry don't remember her wording) are somehow relieved from claiming State taxes. 

I was wondering if anyone knows about that? And how to take care of it?  Because after my 0$ return I kind of don't want to give any States my money anymore. (Except for federal tax ofc  :p) 

You always have to pay state taxes and it's usually the state where you work not where your spouse is claiming.

Edited by cyberfx1024

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2018 at 10:28 AM, Cyberfx1024 said:

You always have to pay state taxes and it's usually the state where you work not where your spouse is claiming.

Is it really? I pay state tax to the state I'm residing at. I work in a different state though and I pay no state tax there.... 

6 hours ago, Londonergirl said:

Is it really? I pay state tax to the state I'm residing at. I work in a different state though and I pay no state tax there.... 

What states are these? If you live close enough to another state and work in a different state. Then you pay taxes where you work. 

16 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

What states are these? If you live close enough to another state and work in a different state. Then you pay taxes where you work. 

hmm... Could you send me any info on this, please?  Maybe a link? :) 
I pay state tax to the state that I reside in. Then I pay federal tax of course. But I don't pay state tax to the state that I work in. 

2 hours ago, Londonergirl said:

hmm... Could you send me any info on this, please?  Maybe a link? :) 
I pay state tax to the state that I reside in. Then I pay federal tax of course. But I don't pay state tax to the state that I work in. 

What states is this if you don't mind me asking?

On 5/28/2018 at 1:22 PM, Cyberfx1024 said:

What states is this if you don't mind me asking?

Does it matter what states they are? (I don't mean that in a mean way) :) 
But when you wrote earlier '' If you live close enough to another state and work in a different state. Then you pay taxes where you work.''
Where is there information about that? Because I really don't think it works like that. I can literally take a few steps and I am in the other state that I work in. But as my residing address is for another state, that's where I pay state taxes to.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

It has nothing to do with the distance. It’s based on the agreement between the states. Some states have agreement with each other in which one living in one state but working in another state just files the tax return based on the state of residence. In some cases with no agreement, one needs to file in both states, as a non resident in the state of workplace and as a resident in the state of residence but will get the credit for any tax paid to the state of workplace so that one doesn’t need to pay state tax twice.  In some cases one may be required to pay state taxes based on the residence even if they work on a state with no state tax. 

So for people living and working in different states, those things need to be looked into from their states taxation websites.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.