AnaUmo

April 2018 NOA2 ----> NVC

3,361 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
7 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

I've read horror stories at the AOS interview stage. What tale are you going to tell them then? If it gets out that you crossed the border as a married individual (regardless if it's a legal marriage or not) rather than a single fiancé(e) at POE as your visa states you'd surely get denied for residency and possibly even worse deported and banned. I don't think it's smart. Marry legally on US soil and do your religious ceremony later. The risks are too great.

I was afraid of that only coz at the AOS if you tell them you had a religious ceremony in India then you are in for trouble. But then you can't show proof that you have had a ceremony for a marriage.

2 minutes ago, A_R said:

I was afraid of that only coz at the AOS if you tell them you had a religious ceremony in India then you are in for trouble. But then you can't show proof that you have had a ceremony for a marriage.

Not sure what you mean with “can’t show proof”. You would get legally married in the US and have your marriage certificate to show proof for AOS.

And yes....you can’t be married already and enter the US on a K1. That’s fraud and goes against everything you declared to obtain the K1 visa

Edited by K1visaHopeful
More

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
13 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Not sure what you mean with “can’t show proof”. You would get legally married in the US and have your marriage certificate to show proof for AOS.

And yes....you can’t be married already and enter the US on a K1. That’s fraud and goes against everything you declared to obtain the K1 visa

By proof I meant of an Indian/Hindu religious ceremony (photos) since it would be before I entered US.

Regarding the fraud part - I understand what you are saying but my question is does a religious ceremony count as marriage in the eyes of US law?  No legal formality would be done in India as a part of the religious ceremony.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
22 minutes ago, A_R said:

@Naes  I can't understand what you are saying . Issues regarding what ?

Religious ceremonies, unofficial ceremonies, even engagement parties may cause denial at the interview because the CO may decide you are too married for K1.

So I am not sure if there is anything religion specific in this situation (although country may affect..) but having religious ceremonies or unofficial weddings are not advisable. 

I did have a list of cases posted here with denials and problems, but I couldn't find my list... however I created a list (So I wanted to tell you it is a common problem that I had to create a list for..)

1 minute ago, A_R said:

By proof I meant of an Indian/Hindu religious ceremony (photos) since it would be before I entered US.

Regarding the fraud part - I understand what you are saying but my question is does a religious ceremony count as marriage in the eyes of US law?  No legal formality would be done in India as a part of the religious ceremony.

Oh okay I understand what you meant. 

I really don't think it matters if it counts in the eyes of US Law. If you entered the US as a married person after you declared you were already single and free to marry in your K1, USCIS may find you to have entered illegally.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, A_R said:

2 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Oh okay I understand what you meant. 

I really don't think it matters if it counts in the eyes of US Law. If you entered the US as a married person after you declared you were already single and free to marry in your K1, USCIS may find you to have entered illegally.

Guys before all this the problem starts with the officer at the consulate denying the visa..

I didn't check if all the cases are exactly what you are asking for but this is what came up with the google search I just did. I think first one is from India.

2 minutes ago, Naes said:

Guys before all this the problem starts with the officer at the consulate denying the visa..

I didn't check if all the cases are exactly what you are asking for but this is what came up with the google search I just did. I think first one is from India.

I think @A_R's argument is that the religious ceremony would take place in the small window of time AFTER the visa was approved but BEFORE POE (not yelling, lol). Therefore technically she (?) feels it's okay because she's already been approved. 

My stance is she'd be invalidating her K1 visa if she were to marry in any way before POE and not on US soil which is the restrictions of the K1 Visa.

Good links though, @Naes! I remember reading a lot of these when we were considering doing a commitment ceremony before we applied for our K1 too. 

Timeline

I think @A_R's argument is that the religious ceremony would take place in the small window of time AFTER the visa was approved but BEFORE POE (not yelling, lol). Therefore technically she (?) feels it's okay because she's already been approved. 

My stance is she'd be invalidating her K1 visa if she were to marry in any way before POE and not on US soil which is the restrictions of the K1 Visa.

Good links though, @Naes! I remember reading a lot of these when we were considering doing a commitment ceremony before we applied for our K1 too. 

Well the thing is cbp has the right to deny entry’s and right now they also have the right to ask to see your phone...

sooo I wouldn’t risk.

By the way I just wanted to add, this is just what I think because I actually showed my phone once (It wasn't asked but one thing led to another.. )

So I personally wouldn't risk anything.

Edited by Naes

1 minute ago, Naes said:

Well the thing is cbp has the right to deny entry’s and right now they also have the right to ask to see your phone...

sooo I wouldn’t risk.

Me neither it's too risky. 

I'm reading your links you shared and you have me nervous as we sent engagement pictures in with our K1. 

They were snapshots taken from when he popped the question when we met up with my "family" for my bday and my bestfriend videotaped it. (Yes they both actually surprised me in their plan). It's obvious on video that it was just him proposing but you never know what could be read into the photos. 

Meh, I'm not gonna stress. We were wearing fluorescent yellow raincoats in the middle of a hurricane. I hope that's enough, lol.

Timeline

Me neither it's too risky. 

I'm reading your links you shared and you have me nervous as we sent engagement pictures in with our K1. 

They were snapshots taken from when he popped the question when we met up with my "family" for my bday and my bestfriend videotaped it. (Yes they both actually surprised me in their plan). It's obvious on video that it was just him proposing but you never know what could be read into the photos. 

Meh, I'm not gonna stress. We were wearing fluorescent yellow raincoats in the middle of a hurricane. I hope that's enough, lol.

No need to stress. It is mostly cultural as some cultures have big engagement parties (we have it too ) and some embassies may make a big deal out of it (such as Ghana cause their engagement is ceremonial and can easily be considered as marriage traditionally)

no need to worry about proposal pictures. Or maybe even about these! But I’m just a worrier so I don’t touch anything :) 

Just now, Naes said:

No need to stress. It is mostly cultural as some cultures have big engagement parties (we have it too ) and some embassies may make a big deal out of it (such as Ghana cause their engagement is ceremonial and can easily be considered as marriage traditionally)

no need to worry about proposal pictures. Or maybe even about these! But I’m just a worrier so I don’t touch anything :) 

Hahaha! What month are you born/what's your sign?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, K1visaHopeful said:

Hahaha! What month are you born/what's your sign?

Cancer :jest: I don't know if we are considered worriers... I am sure we are considered coucou tho.

1 minute ago, Naes said:

Cancer :jest: I don't know if we are considered worriers... I am sure we are considered coucou tho.

Lol, no you shouldnt be a worrier. Loud, bossy and in control of everything you deem necessary for sure, but not a worrier🤣

My bestie (who took the engagement vid) is a Cancer. She tires me out!

And I was born on the day you sent your application in...minus 40 years, lol. So I'm the perfectionist, ####### retentive, nit picking, natural born worrier Virgo

Timeline
Just now, K1visaHopeful said:

Lol, no you shouldnt be a worrier. Loud, bossy and in control of everything you deem necessary for sure, but not a worrier🤣

My bestie (who took the engagement vid) is a Cancer. She tires me out!

And I was born on the day you sent your application in...minus 40 years, lol. So I'm the perfectionist, ####### retentive, nit picking, natural born worrier Virgo

See that’s my bestie (literally) born on the day I sent my petition (minus 30 years) and I believe her and I had a personality switch... actually not sure cause I think I kept that upper part about cancer and created a worrier perfectionist control freak and bossy... (I don’t know why my fiancé is marrying me...also another Virgo)

13 minutes ago, Naes said:

See that’s my bestie (literally) born on the day I sent my petition (minus 30 years) and I believe her and I had a personality switch... actually not sure cause I think I kept that upper part about cancer and created a worrier perfectionist control freak and bossy... (I don’t know why my fiancé is marrying me...also another Virgo)

Haha weird in more than one way. 

We say the same thing too (that we've be friends so long we've swapped our bad character traits, lol).

You'll do great with your matchup with your soon to be. There is no doubt in that whether you are a true Cancer or a Cancer with Virgo traits. Virgo men are compatible with both 😉

But it's 2:30am and Timbucktow is closing. 

Nite nite.

PS I hope somebody who finally signed up for notifications is wide awake listening to their phone ding as we chatter incessantly. 

Edited by K1visaHopeful
Cuz I'm funny

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.