phobicjade

Divorce File while N400 interview is pending

10 posts in this topic

Hi Visajourney family, 

I have been a permanent resident for 4years now, and i had applied for citizenship last year under 3 years rule. USCIS send me a interview letter for next month but my wife filed for divorce last week.

I want to know what should i do? Should i not go to interview and call them to withdraw the case or should i go for interview and explain about my pending divorce. i was reading somewhere in the forum that i will not be eligible for naturalization under 3 years rule.

Any input will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Croatia
Timeline

I have no personal experience, but it seems like you should send them a letter to withdraw your application and file again later under the 5 year rule.

I do not know if there is a chance for them to "stall" your application or reschedule the interview for next year so you do not lose your application fee.

I'm sorry. :/ 

flying.gif 2006 - met online  | 2008 - met IRL  | 2011 - engagement  | 2012 - wedding | 2013 - IR-1 | 2014 - child | 2015 - POE | 2018 - N-400  |  2019 - USC 

Check my About me for the full IR-1 or N-400 timeline.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

I may be on thin ice here,  but you were legally and legitimately married when you filed for your N400. You will be legally and legitimately married when you go to your interview ( even if your wife filed, the divorce is still not complete, it can take awhile). Once the interview is complete, you have been approved for citizenship and  your oath ceremony may be only a month or two away and you may still be legitimately married. In any event I would still go to the interview and if you tell them your story I think the worst that can happen is you wait another2 years and pay again.

9 minutes ago, Enigma11561 said:

I may be on thin ice here,  but you were legally and legitimately married when you filed for your N400. You will be legally and legitimately married when you go to your interview ( even if your wife filed, the divorce is still not complete, it can take awhile). Once the interview is complete, you have been approved for citizenship and  your oath ceremony may be only a month or two away and you may still be legitimately married. In any event I would still go to the interview and if you tell them your story I think the worst that can happen is you wait another2 years and pay again.

Married still, yes. However, that's not the actual requirement. I think arguing "living in marital union" would be difficult even if still living together but legally separated.

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartG-Chapter2.html

"1. Married and Living in Marital Union

In general, all naturalization applicants filing on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen must be the spouse of a U.S. citizen from the time of filing the Application for Naturalization until the applicant takes the Oath of Allegiance. In addition, some spousal naturalization provisions require that the applicant “live in marital union” with his or her citizen spouse prior to filing the Application for Naturalization. [19] USCIS considers an applicant to “live in marital union” with his or her citizen spouse if the applicant and the citizen actually reside together.

An applicant under the special provisions for spouses is ineligible for naturalization if:

* The applicant is not residing with his or her United States citizen spouse at the time of filing or during the time in which the applicant is required to be living in marital union with the citizen spouse; or

* If at any time prior to taking the Oath of Allegiance, the spousal relationship is terminated or altered to such an extent that neither the applicant nor the U.S. citizen spouse can be considered to be residing together as husband and wife."

"Legal Separation

A legal separation is a formal process by which the rights of a married couple are altered by a judicial decree but without eliminating the marital relationship. [28] In most cases, after a legal separation, the applicant will no longer be actually residing with his or her U.S. citizen spouse, and therefore will not be living in marital union with the U.S. citizen spouse.

However, if the applicant and the U.S. citizen spouse continue to reside in the same household, the marital relationship has been altered to such an extent by the legal separation that they will not be considered to be living together in marital union.

Accordingly, an applicant is not living in marital union with a U.S. citizen spouse during any period of time in which the spouses are legally separated. [29] An applicant who is legally separated from his or her spouse during the time period in which he or she must be living in marital union is ineligible to naturalize as the spouse of a U.S. citizen."

"Informal Separation

In many instances, spouses will separate without obtaining a judicial order altering the marital relationship or formalizing the separation. An applicant who is no longer actually residing with his or her U.S. citizen spouse following an informal separation is not living in marital union with the U.S. citizen spouse.

..."

Lots of material here, but I think the OP would not qualify is the gist of it.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When they discover during your interview that you and your wife are going through divorce proceedings, your N400 will be denied since you are no longer eligible for naturalization under the 3-year rule.  The IO will then advise you to reapply after meeting the 5 year residency requirement.

My advice is, whatever you decide to do---do NOT go into the interview claiming your marriage is all hunky-dory/you are not getting divorced.  It can all unravel for you very quickly with a few pointed questions from the IO, which could then result in a misrepresentation finding, which would then conclude in more trouble than you are asking for.

Edited by Going through

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Enigma11561 said:

The requirement for the 3-year rule of the N400 is not only to be legally/legitimately married.  The requirement is that the couple is married AND living together in a bonafide marriage/union.  That means neither divorced, going through divorce, or separated.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

As I said, I may be on thin ice. Thank you folks for the further enlightenment. To the OP. Looks like the timing is lousy but you will become a citizen. it will just take a bit longer..

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you all for your input, i really do appreciate the help.

Update on my Case.

So i went to the Interview yesterday. I took a oath and she asked me are you still married? i said yes but separated as we are going through divorce, then she went about asking how long have i been separated and i told her a month. she asked if we are still living together and i answered yes.

afterwards she asked me civic questions I answered 6 questions, had me write few sentences and asked me to read few lines.

She went over my application and asked question on my application. I disclosed I had a couple of traffic tickets couple of years ago.

Then she showed me all my info on a paper to verify it, and said "The name will appear on your naturalization certificate"
She made me sign an oath and said I will be saying that oath on my ceremony.
then she handed me a paper that said I passed the test but a decision could not be made yet because she wanted to review my file and that i will hear back within 90 days about decision.

Anyone with similar experience? Im ready to apply next year if anything but the interview went very good.

Thank you! 

Hi VJ family,

I have a divorce pending and i filed under 3 year rule for citizenship, I was skeptical to attend the interview and was ready to withdraw the case but People here suggested that i should go to interview which i did yesterday and below is the experience i shared.

So i went to the Interview yesterday. I took a oath and she asked me are you still married? i said yes but separated as we are going through divorce, then she went about asking how long have i been separated and i told her a month. she asked if we are still living together and i answered yes.

afterwards she asked me civic questions I answered 6 questions, had me write few sentences and asked me to read few lines.

She went over my application and asked question on my application. I disclosed I had a couple of traffic tickets couple of years ago.

Then she showed me all my info on a paper to verify it, and said "The name will appear on your naturalization certificate"
She made me sign an oath and said I will be saying that oath on my ceremony.
then she handed me a paper that said I passed the test but a decision could not be made yet because she wanted to review my file and that i will hear back within 90 days about decision.

Anyone with similar experience? Im ready to apply next year if anything but the interview went very good.

Thank you! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The above post was moved from another forum and merged with the existing thread.

-----

This sounds promising.  Often, the interviewers need to get supervisory sign-off before full approval can occur.  Just wait, with hope.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.