sponge_gto

RFE for I-485: not enough income evidence BUT assets alone >3X poverty guideline

19 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Something VERY similar happened to me, too! Here is my original thread: 

Did you provide evidence that you are lawfully and legally allowed to work on F1? 

Local Field office: Raleigh, NC

Filed I-130, I130A, I-485, I-765 & I-864
Date Mailed: 01/25/2018
Date Received: 01/30/2018
Date Received NOA Letters: 02/06/2018
Received Biometrics Letter: 02/17/2018
Biometrics Done: 02/26/2018
RFIE (I485): 02/23/2018
RFIE in mailbox: 3/3/2018
RFIE received by USCIS: 3/8/2018
USCIS update - EAD being produced and sent to me: 5/25
EAD sent me to: 5/31
I-485 "ready to schedule interview: 6/1
EAD in hand: 6/4
i485 interview notice has been sent in the mail: 6/4

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline
25 minutes ago, CaroLeh said:

Something VERY similar happened to me, too! Here is my original thread: 

Did you provide evidence that you are lawfully and legally allowed to work on F1? 

Thanks for sharing your thread! I do see a similarity between our cases except that I'm not yet on OPT so I've got no EAD cards to show. I submitted all the I-20 and appointment letter from my university the first time around so I'm not sure I have more to give (my SS card says "valid for work only with DHS authorization").

At this point I see multiple things I can try, such as adding a joint sponsor, ask my spouse to get a job (lol), try harder to get my F-1 income accepted, or just using my assets. I'll update with the outcome for future readers.

• 4 months later...
Timeline

Day 161 update:

I-485 Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview.

What I tried was the laziest option of all:

- bare minimum required of the sponsor (6 months of pay stubs, an employment verification letter from her then employer showing very low year-to-date earnings, tax returns),

- 1 year of tax transcript for me (income as non-OPT F-1 student)

- 12 months of statements from my main investment account in the US (stocks/bonds only so fully liquid)

In the cover letter I basically suggested that the sponsor has received wages of a couple thousand thus far this year and my income from grad school can be considered 0 but my assets are sufficient to make up the shortfall. I worked out the exact numbers based on the poverty guidelines to save the officer a few seconds.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Day 202 update:

Interview at Buffalo, NY. Arrived 10am for 10:45 interview. Went through security, checked in, and waited with maybe 3 individuals/couples before us. Got called after a short wait, maybe around 10:35. Followed officer to office, stood to take an oath, sat down. First asked to submit I-693 medical forms. Officer then directed questions to my USC wife, confirming many of the personal details on her portion of the forms. When my wife disclosed that she had changed her job, I quickly found the employer letter and gave it to the officer. Next I was asked many of the questions from my part of the form: personal details and yes/no questions. The officer asked where and when we first met, when we started dating. When the officer asked me if I have any children, I gestured towards my wife and said we have one on the way. The officer congratulated us while I produced a letter from the OBGYN confirming the pregnancy, which the officer kept. At the end, the officer said things looked good and they should be able to approve the application in the next couple days. I asked if they would stamp my passport with the I-551 and stated my reason which is admittedly not very urgent. The officer assured us that it takes only a couple weeks for the green card to arrive and recommended that we just wait it out. We left the USCIS building around 10:45. Got email update from the DHS status site about card being in production within half an hour.

Day 204 update: Got email update about I-130 and I-485 approvals.

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.