bukawbukaw

Where do you live when you arrive?

144 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, bukawbukaw said:

No. Life in the Philippines is very hard too. We don't even go to the hospital to give birth where I am from. You just get some cardboard and have the neighbor get the baby. In America I got to give birth in a very nice hospital. That was exciting. Until they found out we were living in a motel. I was excited to be in America. I want my kids to be American and go to school here. It's just not as easy as they say it is. The whole country is not millionaires living in a hi-tech paradise. Life is hard here too. I can't believe only 5 minutes I come off the plane, and there are beggars and homeless all over the street in America! I knew right away things were not going to be what I expected. My husband told me, but I don't believe him. Where I am from, everyone knows all Americans are millionaires. But it's not true.

I'm from the PH but I know that my husband is not a millionaire lol.

21 minutes ago, bukawbukaw said:

Well it's ancient history now. But I still have this trauma and wonder what others did. And thought it would be good to discuss ideas with others that are planning on coming. It is not really the land of milk and honey. It is hard here too like anywhere else. But you have to work hard if you want to succeed. Your avatar reminds me. IT IS COLD HERE TOO! I did not expect that!

How could you not know it's cold in the USA po? My asawa wanted to see snow asap when she got here so luckily we went up to Big bear and played in the snow. Where in Pinas are you fron?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
4 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

How could you not know it's cold in the USA po? My asawa wanted to see snow asap when she got here so luckily we went up to Big bear and played in the snow. Where in Pinas are you fron?

I live in Fort Lauderdale so snow is not a problem. Only hurricane season is. :rolleyes:

12 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

Sounds like, as @TBoneTX had said, you needed to really do a lot of research to know what you were getting yourself into.

While my husband had been to the US before on two J-1 visas, he still knew it would be a huge transition to live here full time.

Cali is one of the most expensive places, least in like L.A. and surrounding areas, so naturally what you can there for say $3000 a  month, in Houston it would be half that price.

And come on, really? You didn't expect it to be "cold"? I know my husband thinks cold is 50 degrees but of course there are areas where it get's really cold, negative 20+ in some areas even. 

You really needed to do some research. And no one is "putting you down", and saying places don't rent to immigrants is ridiculous. If you can afford it, most places I've ever been to will gladly rent to you. 

Some have criteria, like you stated, rental history; but of course you start off with none so that doesn't automatically deny you eligibility.  Most have financial requirements of 3-4x the amount of rent in monthly income. So you have to make $4k a month to rent a $1k a month apartment. That's just common sense , the apartment complex and management company want to know you can pay rent without issue. 

Research ahead of time is key. And you could have done it from abroad also. Contacted people, asked questions, ect.

We were not in LA. We were 700 miles away from there. Is the rural areas, where we thought it would be cheap and easy. We traveled in hundreds of miles and no one would rent to us. Actually, we had to move to Idaho to find a place. Started at a hotel there for $700 a month. By then I also had a SSN. But still no credit or rental history. But we found places to live there.

Yes, California had that 3-4 times the rent! WTH? How is that even legal? If you are renting a BASIC place for $2,000 a month, you need an income of $6-8,000! They also want a $10,000 deposit! Ha ha. I can't believe people pay that. Especially when it seems like so many Americans are not millionaires.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

Hah exactly. Zian loved snow in NY before on his J-1s so he's been bummed the couple winters here in Houston where it doesn't snow. Did a little this year but not like actual snow like I grew up with in Oregon. He's always jealous I travel for work to Pennsylvania and North Dakota and Canada for work sometimes so have been in a lot of snow while he's stuck without it.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Timeline
Just now, bukawbukaw said:

We were not in LA. We were 700 miles away from there. Is the rural areas, where we thought it would be cheap and easy. We traveled in hundreds of miles and no one would rent to us. Actually, we had to move to Idaho to find a place. Started at a hotel there for $700 a month. By then I also had a SSN. But still no credit or rental history. But we found places to live there.

Yes, California had that 3-4 times the rent! WTH? How is that even legal? If you are renting a BASIC place for $2,000 a month, you need an income of $6-8,000! They also want a $10,000 deposit! Ha ha. I can't believe people pay that. Especially when it seems like so many Americans are not millionaires.

Each management company can dictate their own terms in sense of finances, that is legal. With a lot of "higher" end rentals, you also pay ridiculous monthly surcharges for building maintenance/amenities and such, it's like an HOA fee for home owners but you're just renting.

02/03/2017 - Married 

Just now, Sunnyland said:

I live in Fort Lauderdale so snow is not a problem. Only hurricane season is. :rolleyes:

I am in NC now born, raised, and just moved back here. We get both snow and hurricanes here. 

But it's funny because when we lived in CA we had to drive to see snow. But it literally snowed a week after we moved back to NC in December and my wife had to get used to the cold weather.

8 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

I know it's cold. I wanted to see snow. But there is no way to REALLY know until you experience it. I rememember when I get off the plane in California in the Spring it's 60F degrees! I was not expecting it would be THAT cold! lol :jest:

3 minutes ago, bukawbukaw said:

Just because it's expensive doesn't mean it's illegal

3 minutes ago, Ben&Zian said:

Hah exactly. Zian loved snow in NY before on his J-1s so he's been bummed the couple winters here in Houston where it doesn't snow. Did a little this year but not like actual snow like I grew up with in Oregon. He's always jealous I travel for work to Pennsylvania and North Dakota and Canada for work sometimes so have been in a lot of snow while he's stuck without it.

My niece is here on a J1 in VA and she is all snowed out lol. She is on her 2nd J1 as well here and is planning on getting married to her USC by. She is hardworking though I cover her that working 2 jobs just be able to afford a room and send money home.

Timeline

All I know is the three times I've been to the Philippines, I just sweat to death hah.

Edited by Ben&Zian

02/03/2017 - Married 

6 minutes ago, bukawbukaw said:

It's a way to weed out the bad tenants because usually bad ones can't pay the security deposit and the high rent. It's easier to do it that way then end up with a rental that is tore up.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Didn't you try to find apartment or at least room via Craigslist?

ry8wm8.png........oSDDm8.png ke7wm7.png

My wife's journey:

============================================= USCIS ==============================================

12/15/2017 (Friday) I-130 & I-130A were sent to USCIS Phoenix Lockbox by FedEx (overnight)

12/16/2017 (Saturday) I-130 & I-130A were delivered to USCIS Phoenix Lockbox (signed by J. Lopez)

12/18/2017 (Monday) PRIORITY DATE

12/20/2017 (Wednesday) Received text and email that my case has been accepted and routed to the USCIS Texas Service Center for processing

12/21/2017 (Thursday) Check was cashed. NOA-1 (I-797C) was sent to me by USCIS via USPS.

12/26/2017 (Tuesday) NOA-1 (I-797C) was received.

06/07/2018 (Thursday) NOA-2 was APPROVED. 172 days.

06/11/2018 (Monday) NOA-2 was delivered by USPS to my home address.

06/22/2018 (Friday) Our case was sent to the U.S. Department of State (DOS) for visa processing (NVC)

============================================= NVC ==============================================

07/27/2018 (Friday) NVC welcome letter with Case number and Invoice ID number was received by email. (51 days from NOA 2 and 225 days total)

07/27/2018-07/31/2018 NVC website was down

07/31/2018 Fees paid.

08/08/2018 ALL forms and documents were submitted (uploaded) to NVC website.

08/14/2018 CASE COMPLETED (DOCUMENTARILY QUALIFIED)

09/19/2018 Got email with VISA INTERVIEW DATE

My journey:

02/01/2016 N-400 Filing Date (Sent package via UPS).

02/04/2016 N-400 package was delivered (signed by Adriana) to Phoenix, AZ (USCIS Lockbox). PRIORITY DATE

02/18/2016 Fee waiver was approved. NOTICE DATE

02/19/2016 Received text and email from USCIS (NOA).

02/22/2016 I-797C (NOA) letter was sent to me by USCIS via USPS.

02/25/2016 I-797C (NOA) received by regular mail (USPS).

02/27/2016 NOTICE DATE for Fingerprints (Biometrics) appointment.

03/02/2016 Fingerprints (Biometrics) appointment letter was sent to me by USCIS via USPS.

03/05/2016 Fingerprints (Biometrics) appointment letter was delivered to me.

03/07/2016 Fingerprints (Biometrics) (early walk-in).

03/10/2016 In Line (email from USCIS/DHS).

05/04/2016 "Interview was scheduled" email (email from USCIS/DHS).

05/05/2016 Interview letter was sent to me by USCIS via USPS. NOTICE DATE.

05/10/2016 Interview letter was delivered to me.

06/08/2016 Interview.

06/08/2016 N-445 Notice of Naturalization Oath Ceremony (hand given right after the Interview).

06/16/2016 Oath Ceremony.

I'M A US CITIZEN!!!!!!  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Austria
Timeline

I just read all the comments but what I really don’t understand is: What did your husband tell you what it’s going to be like in the US that made you have SUCH expectations?

Has he ever been there?

I think some common sense would help a lot here...

Nobody is being insensitive but I feel like a lot of people are trying to understand where you, OP, are coming from...at least i am.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.