bukawbukaw

Where do you live when you arrive?

144 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Trellick said:

I moved in with my husband - our visa took 14 months to process so we had plenty of time to discuss where and how we would live and our mutual expectations. 

It sounds like you've had a really hard time - I hope things are better for you now. 

Well it's ancient history now. But I still have this trauma and wonder what others did. And thought it would be good to discuss ideas with others that are planning on coming. It is not really the land of milk and honey. It is hard here too like anywhere else. But you have to work hard if you want to succeed. Your avatar reminds me. IT IS COLD HERE TOO! I did not expect that!

3 minutes ago, mr&mrshinds said:

I don't wanna sound insensitive or condescending but shouldn't your husband, which is the USC have SSN? and why use the excuse as the US being a 'civilized country' when it should be the responsibility of your husband to look for appropriate housing for his family? Also, I don't think it's right to compare the Philippines with the US. They are 2 different countries with 2 different policies. What works for you in the PH will not work for you in the US, it should be the person adjusting to the circumstances, not the other way around. 

Yes my husband has a SSN. It's required by law. Comparing the US to where I am from is the exact point. My husband DID find us housing. But it is hard if you are an immigrant. No one will rent to immigrants. That is what I am discussing. You are insensitive for blaming me for being an immigrant on a website for immigrants. Especially when you are an immigrant to.

Maybe instead of putting me down for being an immigrant, why don't you share your success story? How did YOU survive when you first arrived?

4 hours ago, Lemonslice said:

Were was your spouse living before your arrival? Didn't they prepare the nest for their family?

With me of course. He could not. As I said.

2 minutes ago, bukawbukaw said:

Yes my husband has a SSN. It's required by law. Comparing the US to where I am from is the exact point. My husband DID find us housing. But it is hard if you are an immigrant. No one will rent to immigrants. That is what I am discussing. You are insensitive for blaming me for being an immigrant on a website for immigrants. Especially when you are an immigrant to.

Maybe instead of putting me down for being an immigrant, why don't you share your success story? How did YOU survive when you first arrived?

I think the point people are trying to make - and what might be confusing all of us - is, wasn't your husband already living in the US before you moved here to be with him? Why did he as a USC find it difficult to find housing before you arrived? 

Or were you both living in the Philippines together and were both new to the USA and moved over together at the same time? Is your husband a dual citizen who had not been raised in the USA? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Just now, bukawbukaw said:

He could not. As I said.

Other couples manage, whether on their own or by relying on assistance from others.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

13 hours ago, bukawbukaw said:

Curious where any of you lived when you arrived? When we got to the states, NO ONE would rent to us, because a background and criminal check is required. And a US Social Security Card and Driver's License are required to rent anywhere. We actually spent time in homeless shelters and roach hotels when I first arrived. 8 months pregnant. Money in the bank. No one who wanted it. BTW-Scary, dirty, bug-infested motels cost $3,000 a month! I had my baby while living in the hotel, which sent CPS to investigate us for child abuse.

It was not a fun time being in the greatest nation on Earth. A warning to all coming here! And... I am curious how any of you did it. If you did it differently?

On what Visa did you arrive on?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

CR-1, she said.  She needs a VJ timeline.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

5 hours ago, Chris Duffy said:

I am in North Texas and we have tons of illegal aliens living in apartments and houses, they have no SS Card or US Driver Licenses.

Why did you just move back home to Philippines?  Seems you can live pretty comfortably there with little money from what I have seen.  

Maybe new immigrants should go to North Texas? Could be good advice.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

If your husband had a SSN and other related IDs, how you ended living in a shelter? Where was he living before you moved to US?  You were an immigrant but he was an USC, rigth? You keep saying nobody rents to immigrant, but your husband surely was not an immigrant. He is an USC by birth or naturalization. 

And I do not know how is in the Philippines but from where I come from, no one thinks USA is a country of millionaires. That would be silly and an Utopia. Who thinks like that?  Unfortunately it seems MANY people around the world think the US citizens are swimming in a sea of dollars, and maybe those people can not imagine that we ALL have to work for a living. Nothing come easy. 

My now husband never told me that USA was a perfect place and he was very clear to inform me (before I moved here) that nothing was cheap in US. Sorry your experience was so traumatic. 

My wife and I lived in a 2br apartment in Pasadena CA after she got here on a K1 Visa and we moved cross country to CA for a job for myself. I had crappy credit due to a prior divorce and she had no credit. So I had to pay 2x security deposit not to mention the first month rent in advance. My property manager was a immigrant his self from Thailand and there are alot of immigrants in CALIFORNIA so your claim that nobody rents to immigrants is BS.

It sounds like your bitter because your asawa didn't plan for your arrival at all. 

Edited by cyberfx1024

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.