bukawbukaw

Where do you live when you arrive?

144 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, bukawbukaw said:

Oh, we don't need a co-signor. As for listing the immigrant as an occupant, you can't do that. I was over 18.

OP, so your husband was born and grew up in the US. and then he moved to the PH to be with you. and then you both moved back to the US together. is this correct?

Passport 17-Feb-22 Drop-off at USPS (expedited processing and shipping) ~ 22-Feb-22 Status: In Process ~ 08-Mar-22 Passport book shipped ~ 09-Mar-22 Status: Approved. Passport book in hand.

N-400     28-Jun-21 Filed online ~ 28-Jun-21 Received NOA + "Biometrics will be re-used" notice ~ 14-Dec-21 Interview scheduled ~ 25-Jan-22 Interview. Approved. Case status: Oath will be scheduled.  ~ 01-Feb-22 Oath scheduled. ~ 14-Feb-22 Oath ceremony.   

ROC        11-Jun-20 Application sent via FedEx ~ 16-Jun-20 Case received ~ 29-Jun-20 (Old) biometrics applied to case ~ 01-Jul-20 NOA ~ 23-Dec-21 Case transferred to new office ~ 25-Jan-22 Combo interview with N400. Case approved. 

AOS        13-Oct -17 Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct-17 Case received ~ 24-Oct-17 Fingerprint fee received ~ 25-Oct-17 NOA1 ~ 17-Nov-17 Biometrics ~ 23-Nov-17 Status "We are scheduling
                 your 
interview" ~ 24-Jul-18 Status "We have scheduled your interview" ~ 28-Jul-18 Interview notice received in the mail  ~ 29-Aug-18 Interview 30-Aug-18 Status "Case was approved" 

04-Sep-18 Received approval / welcome letter in the mail ~04-Sep-18 Status: "Card was mailed to me" ~07-Sep-18 Green card received

EAD/AP  13-Oct Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct Case received ~ 25-Oct NOA1 ~ 17-Nov Biometrics ~ 09-Jan Approved ~ 13-Jan Notice received ~ 18-Jan Combo card received

K1 Visa   28-Jun-17 Case ready (No packet 3 received) ~ 22-Jul Medical ~ 02-Aug Interview (APPROVED!) ~ 03-Aug Visa issued ~ 08-Aug VOH ~ 14-Sep POE (Abu Dhabi) ~ 01-Oct-17 Got married! 

I-129F     17-Feb-17 Petition sent via FedEx ~ 21-Feb-17 Case received ~ 24-Feb-17 NOA1 ~ 30-May-17 NOA2 12-Jun-17 NVC received / Case and Invoice numbers assigned ~ 20-Jun-17 NVC left

37 minutes ago, bukawbukaw said:

Why do you want to know about my husband's credit? Or his job? I don't think I was talking anything about those things?

Someone mentioned a housing sponsor.

Why not you came on here saying people won't rent to immigrants when that's not the case. I was asking about those things because they make a difference in your tale. You said it was hard on you and I was asking why because he should have been ready to support ya'll. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline
22 minutes ago, mr&mrshinds said:

It's against TOS to prevent other people from posting. This is a public forum after all.

That's no excuse for being rude. OP's story is not very complete or clear at all (and I'll admit a little fishy), but she didn't make this thread to be INTERROGATED. She has the right to her own privacy. OP, I'm so sorry for how nasty and rude people are being to you. Visajourney should, in the American spirit, be a welcoming place for open discussion, not a place where immigrants are interrogated. I apologize on behalf of everyone who is being rude and nasty to you. Shame on them. Their parents clearly never taught them manners.

3 minutes ago, Mduce said:

That's no excuse for being rude. OP's story is not very complete or clear at all (and I'll admit a little fishy), but she didn't make this thread to be INTERROGATED. She has the right to her own privacy. OP, I'm so sorry for how nasty and rude people are being to you. Visajourney should, in the American spirit, be a welcoming place for open discussion, not a place where immigrants are interrogated. I apologize on behalf of everyone who is being rude and nasty to you. Shame on them. Their parents clearly never taught them manners.

:pop:

Edited by mr&mrshinds

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
8 minutes ago, bukawbukaw said:

Oh, we don't need a co-signor. As for listing the immigrant as an occupant, you can't do that. I was over 18.

Your story is complete and total bogus. As a college student, I was able to get an apartment without much credit. You're able to get a bank account with a SSN at the lower banks. The person you married could have easily gotten an apartment whether you were an immigrant or not. You could have been added onto the lease as soon as he got it. You do not need to have perfect credit to get a bank account or an apartment. It may be in the shadier parts of town but you can get an apartment without a credit check or six months financial statements. 

Not knowing that you would need accommodation when you came to the US is not lack of planning. That's like saying you wouldn't know you needed to eat food. There's no such thing as a housing sponsor unless your husband does not make enough money. Even if he didn't, as I said there are ways around it. You can get your SSN two weeks after you come into the US. So, as I said. Your story is complete bull. 

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
18 minutes ago, doggieandsam said:

ok, i'll play. my husband owns his house so i just moved in. :D

and i wasn't bashing you for being stupid. i was honestly trying to understand how your husband could have petitioned / sponsored your CR1 visa to begin with considering all these "obstacles" you mentioned having.

Just came back from walking the dog and I wanted to see how this story unfolds.  gaah.gif

All this time the OP talks like if she did the immigration process all alone. Always mentioning how hard it's for an immigrant , etc etc. We all know that. My concern is where her husband has been all this time. Was he living abroad with her and suddenly one day they decided to move back to US?  Without considering where they would be living after the arrival? Stayed at a motel and then a shelter? Really?

Did he think they could be staying at the airport? What were their ages when did happen? 18? Where was he living before? No family in US?

My husband would have never let me be in a shelter. If anything we would have been living with his parents in case of emergency. 

All this post smells fishy to me.

3 minutes ago, Mduce said:

@Mducei agree with you that OP didn't make this thread to be interrogated. but i dont think in this case people set out to be intentionally rude or nasty, we are all just wanting to get a better picture of OP's situation at that time because like you admitted, it seemed a little fishy. and it IS against VJ TOS to tell people to not post or reply. if the comments or replies are really that derogatory or non-contributory, the mods are always around to step in.

Passport 17-Feb-22 Drop-off at USPS (expedited processing and shipping) ~ 22-Feb-22 Status: In Process ~ 08-Mar-22 Passport book shipped ~ 09-Mar-22 Status: Approved. Passport book in hand.

N-400     28-Jun-21 Filed online ~ 28-Jun-21 Received NOA + "Biometrics will be re-used" notice ~ 14-Dec-21 Interview scheduled ~ 25-Jan-22 Interview. Approved. Case status: Oath will be scheduled.  ~ 01-Feb-22 Oath scheduled. ~ 14-Feb-22 Oath ceremony.   

ROC        11-Jun-20 Application sent via FedEx ~ 16-Jun-20 Case received ~ 29-Jun-20 (Old) biometrics applied to case ~ 01-Jul-20 NOA ~ 23-Dec-21 Case transferred to new office ~ 25-Jan-22 Combo interview with N400. Case approved. 

AOS        13-Oct -17 Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct-17 Case received ~ 24-Oct-17 Fingerprint fee received ~ 25-Oct-17 NOA1 ~ 17-Nov-17 Biometrics ~ 23-Nov-17 Status "We are scheduling
                 your 
interview" ~ 24-Jul-18 Status "We have scheduled your interview" ~ 28-Jul-18 Interview notice received in the mail  ~ 29-Aug-18 Interview 30-Aug-18 Status "Case was approved" 

04-Sep-18 Received approval / welcome letter in the mail ~04-Sep-18 Status: "Card was mailed to me" ~07-Sep-18 Green card received

EAD/AP  13-Oct Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct Case received ~ 25-Oct NOA1 ~ 17-Nov Biometrics ~ 09-Jan Approved ~ 13-Jan Notice received ~ 18-Jan Combo card received

K1 Visa   28-Jun-17 Case ready (No packet 3 received) ~ 22-Jul Medical ~ 02-Aug Interview (APPROVED!) ~ 03-Aug Visa issued ~ 08-Aug VOH ~ 14-Sep POE (Abu Dhabi) ~ 01-Oct-17 Got married! 

I-129F     17-Feb-17 Petition sent via FedEx ~ 21-Feb-17 Case received ~ 24-Feb-17 NOA1 ~ 30-May-17 NOA2 12-Jun-17 NVC received / Case and Invoice numbers assigned ~ 20-Jun-17 NVC left

Woah is this the OP that was complaining in the other thread about the noise in America,  drugs, bad neighbourhoods,  etc? 

I've read half of this thread and I'm kind of sure OP is just a troll. 

And you complain that you didn't have a place to live? Well I guess blame your US CITIZEN husband for not preparing for your arrival. After all it was only 12 or whatever months (cr1 ) that you had to prepare. 

Also it's BS that no one rent apartments for new immigrants. 

Also LOL. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

I'm sorry for the troubles and hardship you've gone through. At the same time, to be blunt, much of it was your own poor planning. I may have missed it in the 10 pages of comments so far, but was your husband living in the US or abroad? If abroad, what did he show the CO as proof of his intent to establish US domicile? If they accepted his I-864 while living abroad without a solid plan of where to live, they really shouldn't have approved the visa.

An SSN and driver's license is not required to rent or own. You just need proper identification (i.e. your passport). I don't want to speak for everywhere, but I don't believe they are allowed to ask immigration status, but even if they did, the endorsed visa acts as a green card.

Now, the ability to get approved on credit alone with no history is a challenge. That's typically where the petitioner comes into play since they should have already had this all established by either living in the US or having an agreement prior to coming to the US to live permanently. But if that's not available, you can almost always put down x months of rent as pre-payment in lieu of a credit check. I have no doubts that if there was money in the bank, you could find a place to live. Money talks by itself anyway. I'm not finding it believable that the only options were bug infested motels for $3000/month. For $3000/month, you could definitely find a nice place outside the city and rich areas.

This story looks really fishy.

12 minutes ago, Mduce said:

She has the right to her own privacy.

Yes, she has a right to her own privacy. But that does not give her the right to violate the TOS by telling people not to post. If a comment is against the TOS (not saying it was!), report it or ignore it...no need to violate the TOS.

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

45 minutes ago, doggieandsam said:

OP has been asked too (multiple times, may I add) where the husband was during the visa application process and she ignores those questions. *gets popcorn*

I hope the mods don't shut this thread down just when it is getting interesting! LOL

I have answered MANY times. What is your problem?

1 minute ago, bukawbukaw said:

I have answered MANY times. What is your problem?

this was posted before you answered. and no i don't have a problem. i have another question for you, i'll wait for you to answer that.

your 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline
6 minutes ago, doggieandsam said:

@Mducei agree with you that OP didn't make this thread to be interrogated. but i dont think in this case people set out to be intentionally rude or nasty, we are all just wanting to get a better picture of OP's situation at that time because like you admitted, it seemed a little fishy. and it IS against VJ TOS to tell people to not post or reply. if the comments or replies are really that derogatory or non-contributory, the mods are always around to step in.

I'm not saying it is against VJ TOS to be rude to OP, just that it is against common human decency and etiquette. The point of the thread is to help future immigrants find housing and have past immigrants share their housing experiences when first moving here. The point of the thread is not to interrogate the OP.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
Just now, doggieandsam said:

wait, there is another one? brb

LOL, yes go look at the "Noise in America" thread. Mods had to shut that one down for TOS not being followed. Guess by who. :mellow:

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

15 hours ago, bukawbukaw said:

Curious where any of you lived when you arrived? When we got to the states, NO ONE would rent to us, because a background and criminal check is required. And a US Social Security Card and Driver's License are required to rent anywhere. We actually spent time in homeless shelters and roach hotels when I first arrived. 8 months pregnant. Money in the bank. No one who wanted it. BTW-Scary, dirty, bug-infested motels cost $3,000 a month! I had my baby while living in the hotel, which sent CPS to investigate us for child abuse.

It was not a fun time being in the greatest nation on Earth. A warning to all coming here! And... I am curious how any of you did it. If you did it differently?

We lived at my husband's grandmother's house. She converted her garage into a tiny house for us. We help her pay for electricity, water, and internet. We're saving up to buy a condo which we hope to get by the end of the year. His family is very supportive and very welcoming. Most importantly, my husband made sure to prepare for my arrival so my transition here went very smoothly. Also, we are in California. Lots of immigrants here so I did not feel out of place at all.

Just curious...why did you have a hard time getting a Social Security card? I was able to get one as soon as my I-94 was available at the CBP website. I was able to get one in 2 weeks. You can substitute the driver's license for a state ID so it's not really a requirement to learn how to drive before you can get an ID. It's very easy, as long as you knew far ahead what you needed to prepare for.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience when you moved here. Hope you get back on your feet and find a good place to stay.

Edited by audacieux89

-=ROC & Naturalization Timeline=-

January 25, 2021 - ROC application received

January 22, 2022 - Case transferred

January 16, 2022 - Naturalization application received

April 7, 2023 - ROC and Naturalization Interview

April 20, 2023 - Oath Ceremony scheduled

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.