Shawawa2112

About to send in I-129F packet... looking for 2nd pair of eyes

11 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

After 1-2 months of researching and gathering documents, me and my girlfriend Hannah are about ready to send in our I-129F. We are trying to be as thorough as possible to avoid getting an RFE... we want to get this right on the first try. Just hoping some people on here wouldn't mind critiquing what we have put together... everybody has been so helpful already, and I am hoping I can count on you again!

First, some background. Hannah was born in California to a Canadian father and American mother. She moved to Canada at a young age and has lived here ever since. She holds dual citizenship. We met here in Canada in 2015, and have been together ever since. We have been renting an apartment together since August 2017. 

Recently, she has expressed a desire to move back to her state of birth to attend school, and eventually live/work in USA full time. I couldn't be apart from her, hence why we are filling for a K-1 visa so I can go along with her, and start our lives/family in America. We plan to live in a house there that her parents own (at least for the short-term.)

I originally had concerns about our eligibility for a K-1, since she has been domiciled in Canada for the majority of her life, but I have been assured by other users on here that it doesn't matter (at least at this stage of the process). As long as she can prove her American citizenship (her birth certificate), we should be fine.

So anyways, onto what we have assembled so far:

- Cover letter (detailing the purpose of the application, along with a list of the contents of what we are submitting.)

- G-1145 form (with my email address/phone number given.)

- Fully filled out I 129F form (13 pages... LOTS of "N/As" given, as a lot of the questions do not apply. Neither of us have been married/have kids/been convicted of a crime. I have visited the US before, but I am not currently there, and I don't believe I was ever issued an I-94... do I need to clarify this? The form specifically states to only fill out items 38.a. - 38.h. if the beneficiary is currently in the US.)

- Signed/dated Fiance letters of Intent (one from each of us)

- Proof of our ongoing relationship & meeting within the past 2 years (includes a copy of our current lease on our apartment which ends in August 2018. Both of our names are signed on it. Next are 7 pictures of us together with locations/dates printed ranging from 2016/2017. Includes a photo of a trip to Disneyland in Anaheim, CA. As well as photos of us together with some of her friends, and one with my brother.)

- Screenshots of our first few messages to each other. (We originally started communicating on Facebook, and met in person a few days afterwards.)

- Also planning to include a page that has a few paragraphs of "our story". How we met, trip we have taken together..... anything that indicates us being together.

- Proof of her American citizenship (a copy of her long-form birth certificate which she requested 2 months ago. On it, it is indicated it was issued MAR 2 2018. Also, a photocopy of a birth certificate that was issued by the hospital where she was born, and a photocpy of her SSN card.)

- 2 sets of 2x2 passport style photos (enclosed in plastic bags, and staple to a sheet of paper.

That is what we've got so far. The whole thing is enclosed in a nice little report-booklet that we picked up from an office supply store. I saw videos on YouTube where others have presented it in this way.

Sorry about the long post, but if we can get any feedback of what we have that would be great! We want to be approved on our first try! Thank you in advance!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
21 minutes ago, Shawawa2112 said:

Hey guys,

After 1-2 months of researching and gathering documents, me and my girlfriend Hannah are about ready to send in our I-129F. We are trying to be as thorough as possible to avoid getting an RFE... we want to get this right on the first try. Just hoping some people on here wouldn't mind critiquing what we have put together... everybody has been so helpful already, and I am hoping I can count on you again!

First, some background. Hannah was born in California to a Canadian father and American mother. She moved to Canada at a young age and has lived here ever since. She holds dual citizenship. We met here in Canada in 2015, and have been together ever since. We have been renting an apartment together since August 2017. 

Recently, she has expressed a desire to move back to her state of birth to attend school, and eventually live/work in USA full time. I couldn't be apart from her, hence why we are filling for a K-1 visa so I can go along with her, and start our lives/family in America. We plan to live in a house there that her parents own (at least for the short-term.)

I originally had concerns about our eligibility for a K-1, since she has been domiciled in Canada for the majority of her life, but I have been assured by other users on here that it doesn't matter (at least at this stage of the process). As long as she can prove her American citizenship (her birth certificate), we should be fine.

- Cover letter (detailing the purpose of the application, along with a list of the contents of what we are submitting.)

- Fully filled out I 129F form (13 pages... LOTS of "N/As" given, as a lot of the questions do not apply. Neither of us have been married/have kids/been convicted of a crime. I have visited the US before, but I am not currently there, and I don't believe I was ever issued an I-94... do I need to clarify this? The form specifically states to only fill out items 38.a. - 38.h. if the beneficiary is currently in the US.)

- Proof of our ongoing relationship & meeting within the past 2 years (includes a copy of our current lease on our apartment which ends in August 2018. Both of our names are signed on it. Next are 7 pictures of us together with locations/dates printed ranging from 2016/2017. Includes a photo of a trip to Disneyland in Anaheim, CA. As well as photos of us together with some of her friends, and one with my brother.)

- Screenshots of our first few messages to each other. (We originally started communicating on Facebook, and met in person a few days afterwards.)

- Also planning to include a page that has a few paragraphs of "our story". How we met, trip we have taken together..... anything that indicates us being together.

- Proof of her American citizenship (a copy of her long-form birth certificate which she requested 2 months ago. On it, it is indicated it was issued MAR 2 2018. Also, a photocopy of a birth certificate that was issued by the hospital where she was born, and a photocpy of her SSN card.)

- 2 sets of 2x2 passport style photos (enclosed in plastic bags, and staple to a sheet of paper. Write names on the back in felt pen

That is what we've got so far. The whole thing is enclosed in a nice little report-booklet that we picked up from an office supply store. I saw videos on YouTube where others have presented it in this way.

Sorry about the long post, but if we can get any feedback of what we have that would be great! We want to be approved on our first try! Thank you in advance!

Strike throughs are not a requirement of the petition

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

It's great that she's a US citizen, which enables her to file the petition but you guys ought to pay more attention on her domicile. She'll need to start taking steps to show establishment of her US domicile. Here's a very informative thread for you to look through with her in planning her next steps: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/164618-proving-domicile-when-not-living-in-the-us/. As much as you couldn't be apart from her, if a short separation is needed i.e. she moves to the US first and get a few things set up before your arrival, then you'll just have to deal with it. 

On a lighter note, it might be a better idea for her to have her contact details on the G-1145 instead of yours seeing how she's the petitioner and USCIS only deals with the petitioner at the I-129F stage, never the foreign beneficiary. 

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

8 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Strike throughs are not a requirement of the petition

I thought the lease would be perfect proof of us having met face-to-face within the past 2 years, as well as establishing an ongoing relationship. Why do you think we should leave this out? I thought that would be one of our strongest pieces of evidence.

Timeline

You can sign a lease or any other document and it doesn't mean you were face to face together.  Remember the purpose of the petition is NOT ongoing relationship.  

I would provide copies of both your Canadian passports.  Do both your passports show entry stamps into the USA for your trip to Disney?

YMMV

8 minutes ago, payxibka said:

You can sign a lease or any other document and it doesn't mean you were face to face together.  Remember the purpose of the petition is NOT ongoing relationship.  

I would provide copies of both your Canadian passports.  Do both your passports show entry stamps into the USA for your trip to Disney?

No they don't. As a Canadian, I don't believe I have ever had my passport stamped on an entry to the US.

But maybe I should search through my emails for flight/hotel confirmations with both of our names on it, if you think this would be better proof?

Timeline
1 minute ago, Shawawa2112 said:

No they don't. As a Canadian, I don't believe I have ever had my passport stamped on an entry to the US.

But maybe I should search through my emails for flight/hotel confirmations with both of our names on it, if you think this would be better proof?

Itineraries only show you booked a room doesn't show you actually stayed, it definitely doesn't show you both stayed.  What about boarding passes?

YMMV

2 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Itineraries only show you booked a room doesn't show you actually stayed, it definitely doesn't show you both stayed.  What about boarding passes?

I am sure we could rustle up a few boarding passes on flights that we were on together... but we have always paid for them separately. 

Jeez you've got me pretty worried about providing more proof. For 2 people who live together, I can't really think of much concrete evidence to prove anything.

What do you think of what I have supplied other than this sort of proof? I am looking for all-round feedback.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Shawawa2112 said:

I am sure we could rustle up a few boarding passes on flights that we were on together... but we have always paid for them separately. 

Jeez you've got me pretty worried about providing more proof. For 2 people who live together, I can't really think of much concrete evidence to prove anything.

What do you think of what I have supplied other than this sort of proof? I am looking for all-round feedback.

Paying separately is not the issue.  Showing you were both on the same flight on the same day would be best..

Are there any common entries/exits in your passports?

Also, I would suggest going to the Canadian Regional forum and ask your fellow Canadians for ideas as well...

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

OP - don't stress out. When it comes to evidence of the relationship, opinions vary on what's useful and what isn't. Bottom line - what supports the RELATIONSHIP. Not that you have to use exactly what someone else uses, but just sharing as an example - below are things my fiancé and I used for our petition and we were approved, no RFE or questions asked:

- Various photographs together, including of just the two of us and of my fiancé with my relatives and friends (I had not visited Sweden yet at the time we applied to have any of myself and his family/friends in Sweden)

- Copies of chat logs/email logs/FaceTime or call logs (my fiancé and I communicated mostly via email and text the first year we knew one another, as we met online, so we send copies of the email log going back to the first year we "met", and then more recent call logs of all our FaceTime Audio and Video calls)

- Copies of my fiancé's passport pages showing his entry stamps for his visits to the states, copies of boarding passes for his flights to the states and the printed itineraries for those flights

- Screenshots of messages/texts/Facebook posts from friends and family once we announced our engagement (congratulatory messages, etc.)

Out of the above, what they actually considered sufficient, I can't tell you. I just know sending all that in didn't get us a RFE.

There's a fine balance between not overthinking it too much, but being sufficient and thorough. That's a hard balance to find sometimes, but it is very possible to overthink throughout this process. :) Just use things you are both confident in, double check for accuracy, and stick to what you know.

Best of luck to you!

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:37 PM, Shawawa2112 said:

Hey guys,

- 2 sets of 2x2 passport style photos (enclosed in plastic bags, and staple to a sheet of paper.

Hi there,

So I'm putting together my package as well and like Shawawa2112, I have been looking at many youtube videos and noticed some people included the 2x2 pictures signed by the fiancé.  Aside from this, the letter of intent was also signed by them on some of the videos.  It was my understanding that you really don't need anything "wet" signed by her?

Is this assumption correct? it would be a challenge for me to get her wet signatures since she is currently in Germany and we would like to file and submit asap.

Thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.