Ck207

N400 Seattle (merged)

3,836 posts in this topic

Here is some analysis from this forum. This apply for people who got the count down then the "we are taking longer than ..." message. This demonstrate a consistent ~100 days to get a notice of interview after this message and ~130 days to interview. It's also very consistent with 17 month overall process. 

image.thumb.png.bae91506c17f8d0d61228ffa6d559e62.png

Edited by MGMA

6 minutes ago, rowrowrowtheboat said:

Yes, they do same day oath of allegiance. I did my naturalization interview today. I waited in the lobby for about one hour before I was called inside. The IO conducted civics test first, followed by reading and writing. Then he went through my N-400, including every question of Part 12, nothing picky, all normal questions found on N-400. Then I took the oath. The whole process took about 30 minutes. I waited another 30 minutes to get my certificate of naturalization. The IO was very nice. The whole interview process was very smooth. I saw 5-6 candidates in the lobby today, and they all passed. The problem of Seattle is that you have to wait a long time before your interview is scheduled. But the interview part is very smooth and nice for most people that I read of. So you just need a little more patience to be scheduled. This forum has been a very positive spiritual support for me. I am very grateful to this forum. Good luck to everyone. 

Congratulations! very exciting. Based on every else timeline, I am expecting mine mid July. I think I just need to chill for another 4 months, and hopefully will be done. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
20 hours ago, rowrowrowtheboat said:

Yes, they do same day oath of allegiance. I did my naturalization interview today. I waited in the lobby for about one hour before I was called inside. The IO conducted civics test first, followed by reading and writing. Then he went through my N-400, including every question of Part 12, nothing picky, all normal questions found on N-400. Then I took the oath. The whole process took about 30 minutes. I waited another 30 minutes to get my certificate of naturalization. The IO was very nice. The whole interview process was very smooth. I saw 5-6 candidates in the lobby today, and they all passed. The problem of Seattle is that you have to wait a long time before your interview is scheduled. But the interview part is very smooth and nice for most people that I read of. So you just need a little more patience to be scheduled. This forum has been a very positive spiritual support for me. I am very grateful to this forum. Good luck to everyone. 

Thanks for the update!

Filing date Biometrics Appt Interview date received? Date Interview notification received online Interview date Approved?
(Y/N)
Notes
10/25/2019 11/21/2019 N 03/17/2021 <-predicted based on last 7 data points, when you get your actual interview notification, replace and add a note how early/late your prediction was. Thank you!   March 10, 2021 Interview Was Scheduled

Just logged in my USCIS and saw an update! Will update when I got an interview date.

9 minutes ago, ReasonableOrange8 said:

Filing date Biometrics Appt Interview date received? Date Interview notification received online Interview date Approved?
(Y/N)
Notes
10/25/2019 11/21/2019 N 03/17/2021 <-predicted based on last 7 data points, when you get your actual interview notification, replace and add a note how early/late your prediction was. Thank you!   March 10, 2021 Interview Was Scheduled

Just logged in my USCIS and saw an update! Will update when I got an interview date.

Congratulations! that 7 days before estimations, that's great news!

2 hours ago, ReasonableOrange8 said:

(Y/N)
Notes

Congratulations! That's very exciting. 

Hi folks,

I was able to go to Seattle courthouse today and got my name changed before my interview. Anyone able to get their name changed on state ID? It seems we need updated social security card, with new name but that won't be issued because local offices are closed and not allowing anyone.

7 hours ago, ReasonableOrange8 said:

They just posted the letter online for interview date -- 04/07/2021. 

ReasonableOrange8 10/25/2019 11/21/2019 N 03/10/2021 (posted on 11th) 04/07/21

Congratulations!!! You’re almost done with USCIS!

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

On 3/10/2021 at 7:26 PM, ReasonableOrange8 said:

(Y/N)
Notes

Congrats!! 

14 hours ago, bmq said:

Hi folks,

I was able to go to Seattle courthouse today and got my name changed before my interview. Anyone able to get their name changed on state ID? It seems we need updated social security card, with new name but that won't be issued because local offices are closed and not allowing anyone.

Congratulation on the name change! Please share your experience. How many days did you wait to get an appoint at the court, and how long did the process take? I’m thinking about changing my name once I receive the N-400 appointment letter, so I can bring my name change certificate to the interview. Love to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks!

On 3/12/2021 at 6:52 AM, k3vin said:

Congratulation on the name change! Please share your experience. How many days did you wait to get an appoint at the court, and how long did the process take? I’m thinking about changing my name once I receive the N-400 appointment letter, so I can bring my name change certificate to the interview. Love to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks!

We got the next day hearing, but if you reach court earlier in the day (before 11am, ideally before 10:30am) I think you can get same day hearing.

I suggest get your name changed, and don't wait for interview date. 

9 hours ago, bmq said:

We got the next day hearing, but if you reach court earlier in the day (before 11am, ideally before 10:30am) I think you can get same day hearing.

I suggest get your name changed, and don't wait for interview date. 

Thanks for the tip!

It looks like USCIS sends out interview letters about 30 days before the interview date. That should be plenty of time for name change, right? One of the reason I didn’t want to do it too early is because supposedly I have to apply for a new green card once I change my name, and that costs like $500. My idea is change my name close to the interview date, so I won’t need to use the green card in the time between.

Update: I had my rescheduled interview today. It took me just about an hour in the building. I passed, and was given the oath and the certificate then and there. My officer was strict but made sure that i got the oath and certificate today despite some challenges. Thank you to everyone on this forum for their support and sharing their learnings.  I am sharing some things I learnt that are relevant for this group. 

Know your dates, esp your travel dates since application. In my case, i had written the in and out dates on a piece of paper, and handed it over to the officer. She happily took it to enter them in system. If you were out of US for a relatively long time, make sure you are ready to explain. 

They want to make sure you are who you say you are. So they ask details: What date you got green card?; Have a child, know their birthday;  Had a divorce, bring your decree; pay child support, bring your proof of payments etc. Review your N-400

On the confusion of whether oath is given same day or not: Know that the USCIS seattle tries to give it to you the same day (more often than not, they do). However, at times, they can't. Not sure of exact reasons, but it doesn't look like it is random. it's only not given when they truly can't do it (because of some system limitations I guess)

Tip on Passport: Make sure you fill out the passport application form in "Black Ink" not blue , and don't use the form from the website (Coz it's not an updated form). Instead, use the form that the USCIS gives you as part of naturalization packet OR pick up the form from a post office. Someone  had shared about the Bellevue passport officer being a helpful guy. I just walked in this morning, and he happily took my passport application (no appointment). I had my paper work all ready for him to make it quick.

Plug: I plan to move to India after getting my passport, India visa etc, in near future. So if there are any other people in the same boat, we can make a support group to help each other. Please reach out in a private message. Thanks. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.