CoffeeVegan

Detroit N400 filers

926 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

All done!. Im officially a US citizen since yesterday !.  it didn't start until 1030 sh  and we were done after about 1140 am, 78 people from 39 different countries. Bring passport pictures if you are planing to get one in the Passport agency, however they only expedite passports  which means there is a 60 dollar extra fee for it , they still take your certification to issue the passport and you will get it in the mail  after 4 or 6 days .

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Tonga
Timeline
1 minute ago, RodDetroit said:

All done!. Im officially a US citizen since yesterday !.  it didn't start until 1030 sh  and we were done after about 1140 am, 78 people from 39 different countries. Bring passport pictures if you are planing to get one in the Passport agency, however they only expedite passports  which means there is a 60 dollar extra fee for it , they still take your certification to issue the passport and you will get it in the mail  after 4 or 6 days .

Congrats! What time did your letter say? We have ours on Thursday and the letter says 9:30. We are bringing our kids so I'm trying to figure out how long I need to entertain them before it starts 🙂

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline
Just now, tehafoka said:

Congrats! What time did your letter say? We have ours on Thursday and the letter says 9:30. We are bringing our kids so I'm trying to figure out how long I need to entertain them before it starts 🙂

thank you. 9:30 am , get there a bit earlier to find parking , make sure you bring all your green cards and any car that USCIS sent you. Cell phone are not allowed but you can keep your kids busy with a tablet , food and drinks  including water are not allowed, the guard called out some one for that. 

Timeline
27 minutes ago, RodDetroit said:

thank you. 9:30 am , get there a bit earlier to find parking , make sure you bring all your green cards and any car that USCIS sent you. Cell phone are not allowed but you can keep your kids busy with a tablet , food and drinks  including water are not allowed, the guard called out some one for that. 

Thanks for the info! And again, congrats!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hello everyone! My husband's oath ceremony is coming up this Thursday. The letter states 9:30 am. I see a couple posts above that mentioned the same time. Can you tell me if that is the time we are supposed to get there or if that is the time of the oath ceremony and we should arrive much earlier, say 8:00 or so? Parking is not an issue for us as I have a monthly pass becasue I work at the McNamara building across the road so that part will be easy. :)

Also, he requested a name change. I've heard that these can take longer but his ceremony was scheduled right after his interview for less than a month later. Has anyone gotten a name change recently through the Detroit office oath ceremony?

Thanks for any replies!

Timeline
13 hours ago, tsabbas said:

Hello everyone! My husband's oath ceremony is coming up this Thursday. The letter states 9:30 am. I see a couple posts above that mentioned the same time. Can you tell me if that is the time we are supposed to get there or if that is the time of the oath ceremony and we should arrive much earlier, say 8:00 or so? Parking is not an issue for us as I have a monthly pass becasue I work at the McNamara building across the road so that part will be easy. :)

Also, he requested a name change. I've heard that these can take longer but his ceremony was scheduled right after his interview for less than a month later. Has anyone gotten a name change recently through the Detroit office oath ceremony?

Thanks for any replies!

Hi there!  My husband just had his ceremony this past Thursday.  Our letter said 9:30am but it didn't start until about 10:45am.  We arrived at about 9:15am and had plenty of time.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I had my oath ceremony today. The letter also said 9.30 am but it started about an hour or so later. They did not say how many people were there from how many countries, which I would have loved to know. It felt like there were maybe around 60 people to be sworn in, and the room was full with mabye 100 people. Anyways, the judge seemed like a nice person and told us that now "nobody can kick you out anymore" 😜 They talked a lot about the importance of voting, and you could register to vote right there too. No video message and no anthem was played, it was a nice ceremony on this hot day. We went for American Coney Dogs to celebrate right after. I am happy to be done! Good luck to all of you who are still waiting!

N-400

Feb 16 2019: applied online

Feb 23 2019: biometrics scheduled (online notification)

Mar 15 2019: biometrics done

April 23 2019: Interview has been scheduled (online notice)

May 30 2019: Interview - approved!

July 15 2019: Oath Ceremony (rescheduled date)

Done! Thanks, visajourney, you have been a great help!

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 5/2/2019 at 1:27 PM, Emily18 said:

I passed my interview on Tuesday and it's a combo interview due to my pending I 751. My online case status changes to oath ceremony will be scheduled (estimated waiting time is 5 months).  I live in the Upper Peninsula, which typically only have two oath ceremonies per year. I was wondering if anybody has the experience or knowledge about the schedule of oath ceremony in UP.

Hi do you already have schedule for your oath ceremony?

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw everyone filed after me either got their interview done or at least scheduled. It seems like a roughly 3 months waiting time between NOA and interview at Detroit office. Meanwhile, i’m stuck at biometric. Lol Not sure which part of my application slows mine down.  Perhaps requesting a name change, or traveling international frequently in the past a few years due to my job? Any insight? Thanks!

Hello,

I had my interview yesterday (08/28) in Detroit and it was VERY short (10 minutes) and I guess everything went really well. The interviewer said that he was going to check if there were seats available for a special oath ceremony that will be held in Troy, MI, during a carnival, on September 12. He gave me letter stating that my oath ceremony will be in 2 weeks. He literally hand delivered it to me. 

My case has changed to approved overnight, but it doesn't say when my oath ceremony will be. In fact, it says that the estimated time to complete the application is December. 

So, a few questions:

How did this happen? I don't think USCIS will send me an oath ceremony letter. And if they do, I probably won't get in time. I'm just hoping the questionnaire and the letter I was giving yesterday is enough. And for those that have gone through this before, what do I need to bring in order to apply for a U.S. passport on site? Photos? Cash?

Thank you! :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
On 8/29/2019 at 9:29 AM, Mike AA said:

The letter he gave you says you passed, and that you'll be getting official notice in the mail within 2 weeks of your set place and time for your oath.  Maybe you get lucky and have it at that carnival, maybe not.  He probably isn't fully in control of that, but maybe he could simplly request it.  My wife just went through interview on 8/21 and the following week got a letter for her Oath, which is scheduled for 9/16 in downtown detroit courthouse.   So, everything you do with USCIS involves a letter and usually is mailed, so that's your next step and I presume you'll have it by next week or at latest week after (due to Labor Day holiday), and you're oath is usually about a month or so after your successful interview. 

As for passport, I do not know for sure.  we'll be researching that now and applying right after the oath on 9/16.  I believe you have to get photos on your own, go to an office to apply (Post office?  not sure), and file the correct paperwork.  I'm sure its on the government website. 

On 8/29/2019 at 9:29 AM, Mike AA said:

Hello,

I had my interview yesterday (08/28) in Detroit and it was VERY short (10 minutes) and I guess everything went really well. The interviewer said that he was going to check if there were seats available for a special oath ceremony that will be held in Troy, MI, during a carnival, on September 12. He gave me letter stating that my oath ceremony will be in 2 weeks. He literally hand delivered it to me. 

My case has changed to approved overnight, but it doesn't say when my oath ceremony will be. In fact, it says that the estimated time to complete the application is December. 

So, a few questions:

How did this happen? I don't think USCIS will send me an oath ceremony letter. And if they do, I probably won't get in time. I'm just hoping the questionnaire and the letter I was giving yesterday is enough. And for those that have gone through this before, what do I need to bring in order to apply for a U.S. passport on site? Photos? Cash?

Thank you! :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
7 minutes ago, tm81663 said:

The letter he gave you says you passed, and that you'll be getting official notice in the mail within 2 weeks of your set place and time for your oath.  Maybe you get lucky and have it at that carnival, maybe not.  He probably isn't fully in control of that, but maybe he could simplly request it.  My wife just went through interview on 8/21 and the following week got a letter for her Oath, which is scheduled for 9/16 in downtown detroit courthouse.   So, everything you do with USCIS involves a letter and usually is mailed, so that's your next step and I presume you'll have it by next week or at latest week after (due to Labor Day holiday), and you're oath is usually about a month or so after your successful interview. 

As for passport, I do not know for sure.  we'll be researching that now and applying right after the oath on 9/16.  I believe you have to get photos on your own, go to an office to apply (Post office?  not sure), and file the correct paperwork.  I'm sure its on the government website. 

U will still get one in the mail.I got mine after my interview and still got one in the mail.Dont worry about estimated time.I got my certificate almost 3 weeks now and my estimated completion time is saying November.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 minute ago, tm81663 said:

As to the passport, there is a passport agency right across the street from the courthouse where the oath will be held.  If your wife's oath is in the morning, you can simply walk across the street and apply assuming you have the required photos.  If the oath is in the afternoon, then you won't make it in time as the oath ceremony will most likely not start on time due to check-in of oath takers.  In our case we had upcoming travel, and my wife's oath was in the afternoon, so we went back the next day and applied for her passport and she got it in three days with expedited service.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi tomorrow is my oath ceremony in Detroit 9:30am 9/9/19. Is there’s anyone here apply passport, update their social security after their oath ceremony? How much is the cost for expedited process of the passport? Thank you in advance for the answers 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.