CoffeeVegan

Detroit N400 filers

926 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline
5 hours ago, 2018n400 said:

@Toomuchpd

your priority date is little closer to

mine. once you get an interview letter, probably i might get it too in the following weeks.

any other june filers, please let us know if you have received the interview letters.

thankyou

Right on, when I asked during fingerprinting they said on average the interviews are about 4 months after fingerprints, and looking at the timelines it sounds about right.

lets hope for early November.

Hi everyone

Got some good news today.

online status updated to” interview scheduled and notice mailed”. Might receive the notice by oct 7 or so and intervew date might be before Nov 10. My PD is june 23.

My case is straightforward .2 traffic tickets in past, paid off. Did not mention in N400.Will plan to tell the IO verbally about these tickets at the interview. Hopefully this should not be an issue that i did not mention in N400? Any inputs in this issue? I will try to carry certified copies

of paid traffic tickets. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That's GREAT news 2018n400!!! 😄

My pd is July 8th, 2018, which is only a couple weeks later than yours.  I haven't been on this site in about a month because I was convinced that I wouldn't be getting my interview till December or even 2019.  I had seen that some people from April and May were still waiting for interviews. With your notice, I've gotten renewed hope that I'll be hearing something in the next few weeks (GO July filers LOL!!!)  Ironically, I was just watching a documentary today on Citizenship ceremony's from all 50 states. They only showed Michigan for a brief moment and interviewed a new citizen from Lebanon who lives in Dearborn. It will be so ironic when I got for my interview in Detroit, because I was born and raised right across the Detroit River in Windsor, Ontario, Canada.  I remember we laughed about that during my Greencard interview 3 years ago. 😊 ️

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
On 9/28/2018 at 11:26 PM, 2018n400 said:

Hi everyone

Got some good news today.

online status updated to” interview scheduled and notice mailed”. Might receive the notice by oct 7 or so and intervew date might be before Nov 10. My PD is june 23.

My case is straightforward .2 traffic tickets in past, paid off. Did not mention in N400.Will plan to tell the IO verbally about these tickets at the interview. Hopefully this should not be an issue that i did not mention in N400? Any inputs in this issue? I will try to carry certified copies

of paid traffic tickets. 

My wife had one traffic ticket she forgot to mention on the form, but she did take the information to the interview and disclosed it there.  It was not an issue.  If these are minor tickets (not DUI related), it should not be an issue.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Hi Bill and Katya

Thankyou for your response.

I have couple of questions and appreciate if anyone on this forum can advise me.

1. I am filing based on 5 year rule, employment based GC, i am primary, my wife got her GC through me in 2013. Last year in 2017, my wife and I filed taxes “ married filing separately” as we wanted to keep our income and savings separate. How ahould I answer this question in why We did not file “ married filing joint” . Is this a relevant question or non issue?

2. My mailing address in n400 is my office address and not my residential address.the reason I chose my office address as mailing address is that i am Looking for homes and might change address and hence did not want to loose any mails from uscis in case if address change, hence i choose my office address.

how do i explain this to IO? My concern is that 

the IO think that i am not physically living in the mentioned residential address since i am not receiving my n409 mails to my resedential address? All my other mails , bank utility, credit card, lease documents come to my residential address.  

Bill and katya, pran34,stormnut42 or anyothers in his forum, could u plz advise me on the above 2 issues for my upcoming interview in detroit?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
5 hours ago, 2018n400 said:

Hi Bill and Katya

I have couple of questions and appreciate if anyone on this forum can advise me.

1. I am filing based on 5 year rule, employment based GC, i am primary, my wife got her GC through me in 2013. Last year in 2017, my wife and I filed taxes “ married filing separately” as we wanted to keep our income and savings separate. How ahould I answer this question in why We did not file “ married filing joint” . Is this a relevant question or non issue?

2. My mailing address in n400 is my office address and not my residential address.the reason I chose my office address as mailing address is that i am Looking for homes and might change address and hence did not want to loose any mails from uscis in case if address change, hence i choose my office address.

the IO think that i am not physically living in the mentioned residential address since i am not receiving my n409 mails to my resedential address? All my other mails , bank utility, credit card, lease documents come to my residential address.  

Bill and katya, pran34,stormnut42 or anyothers in his forum, could u plz advise me on the above 2 issues for my upcoming interview in detroit?

I am not entirely versed on the 5 year rule based filing, but since this is not a marriage based filing, I would think marriage based questions like tax filing would not be relevant.  If that question does come up I think it is easily explained as not all couples file jointly for various financial reasons.  As to the mailing address vs residential address difference, I think that is also easily explained as you mentioned you are house shopping and your work address is more stable at this period and you didn't want to potentially face the loss of a notice with a subsequent move (there are so many stories of undelivered RFEs, NOAs, etc, even when following the USCIS change of address procedures).

Others may have more experience.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Bill and Katya

thankyou for taking time to help me with the answers.

my interview date is Nov 6. 

Pran34, i know your interview date is in oct, please share your interview experience once done.

other members, if you could share with us what kind of questions were asked recently,  it would help us to be confident.

thankyou

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country:
Timeline
21 hours ago, 2018n400 said:

Hi Bill and Katya

Although i don't have first hand interview experience, I think the tax questions you mentioned are not going to be relevant in your case. But I would sill carry the tax transcripts to prove that you and your spouse don't owe any taxes.

Re: mailing address, you can choose to receive your mail at your office address. Just explain it to the IO if asked. Also carry proof of your residential address - utility bills, lease docs etc. I think you should be fine. Good luck!

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

After almost eight weeks I finally have an Oath Ceremony date,  October 17th in Grand Rapids. So happy 😀 

Edited by Lovetoteach
Change

Filing I 360 3rd Nov 2005

Prima facie determination received from Vermont 20th Nov 2005

DIVORCED JANUARY 25th 2006

EAD applied for again (jeez I need to work ) 28th Feb 2006

Removal hearing July 12th 2006

RFE's received for I360 and EAD 13th October 2006

NOID received March 2007

EAD denied March 2007

Back to Immigration Court April 18th 2007

NOID request for evidence received USCIS 3rd May 2007

I 360 touched May 31st 2007

I 360 actually approved May 30th 2007

EAD filed June 23rd 2007

I 485 filed July 24th 2007

NOA1 for I 485 August 1st 2007

EAD approved August 6th 2007

Medical with CS August 28th 2007

Biometrics August 24th 2007

Paperwork sent to Immigration Judge to finally terminate removal proceedings September 10th 2007

GREEN CARD FINALLY APPROVED AFTER 4 YEARS September 9th 2008 :D

N-400 Filed online 03/04/2018

NOA online 03/05/2018- projected Citizenship completion date December 2018

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country:
Timeline
2 hours ago, Lovetoteach said:

After almost eight weeks I finally have an Oath Ceremony date,  October 17th in Grand Rapids. So happy 😀 

Congratulations. Finally you got it! Do you know why there was a delay in scheduling your oath? Were you approved on the spot during the interview?

Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline
6 minutes ago, pran34 said:

Congratulations. Finally you got it! Do you know why there was a delay in scheduling your oath? Were you approved on the spot during the interview?

I have no idea why it took so long to get a date scheduled.  I was the last to be interviewed on August 8th at 2:20 pm. I was approved the following morning at 6:30 am. 

Im really hoping they still change my name to my married name. I’ve been waiting 8 years to change, but didn’t want to pay to change it on my GC. The email “ letter “ is still addressed in my maiden name, but I’m guessing that’s because I applied in my maiden name. Has anybody changed their name at the Oath Ceremony?

Filing I 360 3rd Nov 2005

Prima facie determination received from Vermont 20th Nov 2005

DIVORCED JANUARY 25th 2006

EAD applied for again (jeez I need to work ) 28th Feb 2006

Removal hearing July 12th 2006

RFE's received for I360 and EAD 13th October 2006

NOID received March 2007

EAD denied March 2007

Back to Immigration Court April 18th 2007

NOID request for evidence received USCIS 3rd May 2007

I 360 touched May 31st 2007

I 360 actually approved May 30th 2007

EAD filed June 23rd 2007

I 485 filed July 24th 2007

NOA1 for I 485 August 1st 2007

EAD approved August 6th 2007

Medical with CS August 28th 2007

Biometrics August 24th 2007

Paperwork sent to Immigration Judge to finally terminate removal proceedings September 10th 2007

GREEN CARD FINALLY APPROVED AFTER 4 YEARS September 9th 2008 :D

N-400 Filed online 03/04/2018

NOA online 03/05/2018- projected Citizenship completion date December 2018

LovetoTeach

Is it possible that the delay could be due to the name change that you requested. It might take a while for them get your new name into the oath certificate and update other relevant records in immigration?

For many people, I have noticed that the oath ceremony is usually within 2 weeks of interview date.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I had My Oath Ceremony on August 27th, in Detroit, I registered to vote at the ceremony too, 5 weeks later I went to SOS to see what the status of voter registration was as I haven't heard anything,

They checked their "SAVE" system which is telling them my case with immigration is showing no0t complete... OMG!!! I have a certificate to say different but the system says NO!

I checked the old & the new system( Actually not certain which is which, to be honest ) on my account at USCIS website, one says "Certificate of Naturalization  was issued",  The other says, "We scheduled your naturalization ceremony

So NO VOTE, no updated SSN, No passport...

I've called I've email & now I have to go with an infopass appointment on the 18th, I am so VEXED!!!!"

Edited by reddbear

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Reddbear -  I almost feel like they're delaying your voter registration on purpose.  They know that the vast majority of immigrants tend to vote Democratic and the government agencies and law enforcement tend to skew Republican. Michigan is likely to re-elect Senator Debbie Stabenow and elect Gretchen Whitmer as Governor. Also, Democrats might pick up 2 or more House seats in Michigan. So, it wouldn't be surprising to me, for them to be delaying your registration. Even if you aren't a Democrat, they'll stop at nothing to disenfranchise as many voters as possible.  Also, Republicans fought and got the 6th Circuit Court to remove the "Straight ticket" voting option on this year's ballots. Normally, you could check off a box at the top of the ballot to vote for ALL the Democrats or ALL the Republicans. African Americans, especially in southeast Michigan, tend to use that option frequently.  Republicans know that all to well so, they argued to get rid of straight-ticket voting. In a ridiculous argument, they tried to say that voters want to take more time to vote and cited something like 20 minutes. But, in reality, most people want to do it as fast as possible.  Republicans know that taking longer to vote, will create long lines and hope it will discourage people to vote overall. If you try to vote during a lunch break at work, you're not going to be able to stand in line for 30 minutes or more. Republicans know this all too well. Removing the straight-ticket voting is also a tactic to hurt down-ballot candidates.  Republicans control the Michigan legislature here... both the State House and State Senate. There's a slight chance Democrats could pick up 9 state House seats to win control of that chamber in Lansing. But, only if people vote for all the candidates on their ballot (which, again, takes a bit longer without the straight-ticket voting option).  

There is hope though!  This November's ballot in Michigan will feature two very important proposals that EVERYONE should vote YES on.  The first is one that would stop partisan congressional redistricting. Every 10 years they take a census in the U.S. and then, each state's legislature (state House, State Senate and Governor) get to redraw the congressional districts for themselves and for the U.S. House districts in their state. If one party is in control of the legislature, as it was here in Michigan in 2010, they draw the congressional districts to favor their party. So, essentially, the politicians pick the voters and draw their districts so that they'll get re-elected again and again.  The first proposal on the ballot would put and end to that and get a independent commission to draw that congressional districts. 

The second proposal is equally important.  It would allow U.S. citizens in Michigan to register to vote, right up to election day!  Right now, you only have until October 9th, 2018 to register to vote!  If you aren't registered by then, you will NOT be able to vote this November!  The second proposal would also allow people to vote by mail, via absentee ballot, without having to state a reason. Normally, for an absentee ballot to count, you have to state a valid reason you voted that way and were not able to make it to your polling place.  

This is indeed a very important election this November and I hope you can get your voter registration settled before the Tuesday deadline (October 9th). 

These are very dark times in the U.S. right now.... when persons who commit sexual assault can both be elected president and also get a seat on the U.S. Supreme Court. But, I hope and pray there is a "Blue Wave" in November and Democrats win in a landslide!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.