Sherlock23

US citizen child visiting the Philippines

11 posts in this topic

So my wife went with our US Citizen daughter to the Philippines last November. They will be coming back to the US next month. Will my daughter have issues at  check in/ immigration? She's only 2 years old. My wife is a Filipino citizen.

We have not reported our daughter's birth to the Philippine Embassy, she does not have a Philippine passport yet. Maybe too late to apply for it now, for their trip next month. Any one who have similar experience? I was reading about this online, I gathered that she needed to have the Balikbayan stamp on her passport, but looks like she didn't get such. 

Edited by Sherlock23

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Does she have an American passport should be fine.

If not ask 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/contact-us/passports.html

50 minutes ago, Sherlock23 said:

So my wife went with our US Citizen daughter to the Philippines last November. They will be coming back to the US next month. Will my daughter have issues at  check in/ immigration? She's only 2 years old. My wife is a Filipino citizen.

We have not reported our daughter's birth to the Philippine Embassy, she does not have a Philippine passport yet. Maybe too late to apply for it now, for their trip next month. Any one who have similar experience? I was reading about this online, I gathered that she needed to have the Balikbayan stamp on her passport, but looks like she didn't get such. 

If she didn't get the BB stamp in her passport then you will have a overstay fee for her overstating. Other than that there is no issue at all. My asawa did the same thing with our then 2 year old and will do it again this year with out 4 and 1 year old. 

Just now, cyberfx1024 said:

If she didn't get the BB stamp in her passport then you will have a overstay fee for her overstating. Other than that there is no issue at all. My asawa did the same thing with our then 2 year old and will do it again this year with out 4 and 1 year old. 

Thanks for the reply. Where did your wife pay the overstay fee for your 2 year old? Can it be done at the airport upon check in or do we have to go to the bureau of immigration office? Do you still remember how much was the overstay fee? Thanks a lot! I am just worried they will miss their flight if they will have issues at the airport.  

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, Sherlock23 said:

Your wife didn't request the BB stamp in the daughter's passport at immigration upon arrival? :oops: 

Have they been there over 30 days?   Need to go to BI to get a visa extension for stays over 30 days.   (age of a foreigner has nothing to do with meeting requirements)

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

2 minutes ago, Hank_ said:

Your wife didn't request the BB stamp in the daughter's passport at immigration upon arrival? :oops: 

Have they been there over 30 days?   Need to go to BI to get a visa extension for stays over 30 days.   (age of a foreigner has nothing to do with meeting requirements)

No. 

They have been there for almost 4 months today. They were in the Philippines for 6 weeks in 2016 but they did not get any special stamp (just arrival stamp she said) and they didn't have a problem coming back. But 4 months is far lengthy than 6 weeks, so I am worried.

Edited by Sherlock23

24 minutes ago, Sherlock23 said:

Thanks for the reply. Where did your wife pay the overstay fee for your 2 year old? Can it be done at the airport upon check in or do we have to go to the bureau of immigration office? Do you still remember how much was the overstay fee? Thanks a lot! I am just worried they will miss their flight if they will have issues at the airport.  

If you are close to a BOI office then I would have them go by there first to see if anything they can do. If not they will make you pay when leaving the country at the airport. 

I had to pay the overstay fee due to overstating 2 weeks and it was $75USD then in 2012. My daughter didn't have to pay last time because we got the stamp. 

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Sherlock23 said:

No. 

They have been there for almost 4 months today. They were in the Philippines for 6 weeks in 2016 but they did not get any special stamp (just arrival stamp she said) and they didn't have a problem coming back. But 4 months is far lengthy than 6 weeks, so I am worried.

They need to go to BI (Bureau of Immigration) to get a visa extension for your daughter.    KISS

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

50 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

If you are close to a BOI office then I would have them go by there first to see if anything they can do. If not they will make you pay when leaving the country at the airport. 

I had to pay the overstay fee due to overstating 2 weeks and it was $75USD then in 2012. My daughter didn't have to pay last time because we got the stamp. 

Thanks for the info!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
20 hours ago, Sherlock23 said:

Are you sure there's no balikbayan stamp? Many times, I have been given the stamp without even asking. It looks the same (because it is the same) stamp that everybody gets, except that there is a "BB" handwritten in the lower part of it. Might want to look closely just to make sure...

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Manila, Philippines

2010-03-02 I-129F Sent

2010-03-08 NOA1

2010-03-09 Check Cashed

2010-03-10 Case "touched"

2010-04-13 Case "touched"

2010-04-15 NOA2

2010-04-21 NVC Received

2010-06-01 K-1 Interview at US Embassy Manila

2010-06-08 Visa Issued

2010-07-08 POE: San Francisco, CA

2010-07-31 Married

2010-09-24 Sent AOS Package (I-185, I-765)

2010-09-27 AOS Package Received at Chicago Lockbox

2010-10-04 NOA (Notice of Receipt) date for I-485 & I-765

2010-10-07 Touch

2010-12-22 Biometrics

2010-12-22 I-485 Interview at Anchorage, AK

2010-12-27 2-yr Green Card Issued

2011-01-10 Green Card Received

2011-05-19 Vacation to Philippines

2011-07-02 Return from Philippines to US

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.