3,014 posts in this topic

Hello @sandranj pls I’m wondering how a last name change can be done with the Vermont office because I would like all my documents work permit and even my green card eventually Godwilling be issued in my maiden name. I don’t want to carry my husbands last name anymore. Is it possible to get that or at what point can I change the name? The divorce is finalized now. 

6 minutes ago, Goldenvessel said:

Hello @sandranj pls I’m wondering how a last name change can be done with the Vermont office because I would like all my documents work permit and even my green card eventually Godwilling be issued in my maiden name. I don’t want to carry my husbands last name anymore. Is it possible to get that or at what point can I change the name? The divorce is finalized now. 

Hi How long did it take for your divorce to be finalized and what state are you in? Thanks.

57 minutes ago, Viva said:

Is there anybody who applied on December or January to renew EAD and still waiting? Am on day 125...This is unbelievable. I don’t know why some people get their EADs faster than others while renewing. Processed in order it was received is of past. God help us.

Day 120 (exactly 4 months) today ...

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
4 hours ago, rayofhope said:

I submitted first time while filing judgement decree in english but forgot to send in my lang then wen rfe issued i sent the original divorce decree copy which was combined in eng and regional lang so they denied saying that the translated copy of decree was not sent so now my ex is sending the copy of original and translated from court . Can i refile again as my son was derivative on my petition meanwhile he turned 18 so i just sent aos for him so he himself also had to file as a self petitioner.. pls answer you are the only hope now

Your explanation is very confusing. You are saying that you answered the RFE and submitted a copy of the divorce decree in English and in your language but USCIS mentioned they did not receive the translation. If you submitted the translation along with a copy of the divorce decree and USCIS is saying that they did not receive then you can file a motion to reopen,  a motion is a request to the USCIS office that issued the unfavorable decision to review its decision. You said that your husband is sending you a  copy of the divorce decree and translation, but if you submitted a copy of the divorce decree and translation why is he sending you again something that you had and already submitted? I am not following you.

The Child Status Protection Act (CSPA) was created to allow an applicant or a derivative (in your case your son) to retain the classification as a “child” even if he reaches the age of 21, we refer as a "the age-out protection". The Law states that any child of a US abuser who properly files a Form I-360 prior to the child’s 21stbirthday will remain a child for immigration purposes throughout the adjudication of the Form I-360 and Form I-485, a stepchild is considered by USCIS as a child if the child remains unmarried until final AOS adjudication. The 18 years of age rule applies if you got married before yous son reached  18 and I assume that you got married before your son reached 18.

Unfortunatelly, I cannot help you besides giving you information about what the Law states. I am here just helping survivors to file VAWA and  AOS, but not Motion or Appeal. I suggest you find a pro bono office where you live to help you to file a Motion.

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
2 hours ago, #Godgotthis said:

Hi How long did it take for your divorce to be finalized and what state are you in? Thanks.

The divorce to be finalized depends on many factors, it can take anywhere between 2 and 12 months depending on whether it is contested or uncontested, the number of motions the plaintiff or the defendant will file etc.

To receive the GC with your maiden name file the AOS using your maiden name but  If you submitted already the AOS with your married name  then change your name in the S=social security card, state ID/driver's license  etc., and  at the time of the adjustment interview ask the officer to issue the GC considering your maiden name.

1 hour ago, sandranj said:

The divorce to be finalized depends on many factors, it can take anywhere between 2 and 12 months depending on whether it is contested or uncontested, the number of motions the plaintiff or the defendant will file etc.

To receive the GC with your maiden name file the AOS using your maiden name but  If you submitted already the AOS with your married name  then change your name in the S=social security card, state ID/driver's license  etc., and  at the time of the adjustment interview ask the officer to issue the GC considering your maiden name.

Thanks a lot @sandranj for all your help and guidance. I’m wondering is it possible to also change my name on my work permit that I already filed. It has not been issued yet. Can I send a letter or something to Vermont telling them to issue in my maiden name? Will that work?

Timeline
On 5/7/2018 at 5:46 AM, sandranj said:

If they  didn't  set up the AOS interview  notify the field office where you submitted  the AOS, but if they  set up interview  then go to the interview and inform that you filed  form l360 and  ask then to put the l485 in hold until final adjudication of your self petition. 

They have sent me an RFE today regarding my AOS petition that my USC husband filed earlier.

What is field office - my local USCIS office or where I sent the documents? I was sending to Chicago Lockbox initially.

Should I answer the RFE and explain that I have filed VAWA?

3 hours ago, sandranj said:

Thanks for the info Ms Sandra. Blessings.

6 hours ago, Goldenvessel said:

Hello it took about 6 months in New York because it was not contentious. 

Thanks for responding Goldenvessel.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Benin
Timeline
7 hours ago, Viva said:

Is there anybody who applied on December or January to renew EAD and still waiting? Am on day 125...This is unbelievable. I don’t know why some people get their EADs faster than others while renewing. Processed in order it was received is of past. God help us.

Is your ead already  expired or not yet?

Sometime they send 1 week before expired

Timeline
7 hours ago, Viva said:

Applied in October, still no EAD :mellow:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.