3,014 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
2 hours ago, iwillsurvive said:

Received a case status update today that they received my response to the RFE. On the RFE it says they will decid within 60 days. Does anyone have any experience how good they are about making a decision within those 60 days? 

My Vawa was approved 42 days after they received my response to their RFE, so I would say they're being pretty good about that timeline.

1 hour ago, Tortmaster said:

Please send a link. The one I checked still says 15 to 19 months I'm not sure why.

15-19 months is correct. It means that normally they should respond to your Vawa petition 15 months after receiving it but it should not take longer than 19 months. If your receipt date is before the case inquiry date, your petition is out of standard processing times and you can send an inquiry. 

The case inquiry date changed from September 2016 to October 2016. 

https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

3 hours ago, Kersac said:

I have been in the usa for 22 months now. 3 months in Forney, 3 months in Plano, and the remainder of the 16 months at Irving. I will definitely get the criminal records checks. i can do it in all 3 areas. i have no criminal records so it wouldnt be a problem getting from all 3 cities. I do not have any criminal record from my home country. And I can not get a criminal record check from my country if i am not physically present, so i will not be able to get a criminal record check from my country. 

Yes i will submit all the medical reports and my personal statement of my experience in the marriage. i have written my personal report already.

I have a copy of her birth certificate to prove she is a citizen. 

Thank you for the heads up. 

I did one for Texas too. I think they do the whole state. I got my fingerprints done for them and sent it off.

You have to get one from your country. You might have to get a friend to collect it but you do need one. I mailed mine about one month after I had sent my VAWA package in. 

You are welcome. And you don't have to not divorce her. I'm divorced. That is entirely up to you but it doesn't affect your VAWA at this point. To file VAWA you can't be divorced for more than 2 years. This is a long journey and waiting game. 

3 hours ago, iwillsurvive said:

Get divorced! It is dangerous to stay married to your abuser! When you are married, you are legally tied to your spouse, so if they have debt and can’t pay it, you have to pay for it. Get divorced as soon as you can. Many abusers will use financial abuse after separation to continue controlling you. Please be safe and divorce them. 

I will survive is right especially financial ties. Make sure any joint commitments are in the final decree. Once you're divorced you need to send USCIS your final decree. Plus depending on what you ex is like keep all your immigration documents and VAWA filed safely. I stored mine at work in a colleagues office. Once the divorce started he threatened and tried to enter my home and continually tried to get me deported. I also bought a cheap security camera so if anything happened at home he was caught on camera.

6 hours ago, iwillsurvive said:

Get divorced! It is dangerous to stay married to your abuser! When you are married, you are legally tied to your spouse, so if they have debt and can’t pay it, you have to pay for it. Get divorced as soon as you can. Many abusers will use financial abuse after separation to continue controlling you. Please be safe and divorce them. 

Iwas saying that if you are still married to the abuser they can't put you on deportation.but most cases when the abuser withdrew the petition or you are divorced when things dint get well with self petion they put you  on removal proceedings.. Thats my opionion .but choose what is best for you.

23 minutes ago, Naperi said:

Iwas saying that if you are still married to the abuser they can't put you on deportation.but most cases when the abuser withdrew the petition or you are divorced when things dint get well with self petion they put you  on removal proceedings.. Thats my opionion .but choose what is best for you.

This is incorrect. Being married does not save you from removal! You will not be put in removal proceedings if you have a VAWA petition pending (as long as you don’t engage in criminal activity). You are allowed to be in the country until a decision is made on your case. And you can file VAWA up to 2 years after the divorce is finalized.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Benin
Timeline
2 hours ago, iwillsurvive said:

15-19 months is correct. It means that normally they should respond to your Vawa petition 15 months after receiving it but it should not take longer than 19 months. If your receipt date is before the case inquiry date, your petition is out of standard processing times and you can send an inquiry. 

The case inquiry date changed from September 2016 to October 2016. 

https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

That date have been like that for couple months now, not an update

12 minutes ago, Roms2017 said:

Yes it is. They changed the format of their website and last month/earlier this month it said September for I-360. They went back in time with the case inquiry date ever since changing their website since they now use the 19 month date as opposed to the 15 month date that they used before. 

15 months means they are working on February 2017 now. However your case is not looked at as out of processing unless you filed before October 11th, 2016. 

I-765 said November last month/earlier this month and is now saying December. 

Edited by iwillsurvive

14 minutes ago, Roms2017 said:

I was going to say the same too. There is not an update. It has been like that for months. I don’t know what she/he is seeing. The only thing they did was to change the timeline from 15 to 19 months and changed the web look that’s it alarming people for nothing. 

Edited by Goyo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.