TBoneTX

I-751 February 2017 Filers, Part II

2,305 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
1 minute ago, santiagosilva said:

I'm also a CSC applicant 😕   .. I've spoken to some ppl in my geographic area, and they all seem to to have to wait longer than the rest of the country, weather it's N400, i751.. etc.

The different ppl who got ROC without being married on or after filing i 751, the ones i've spoken too, made no mention of domestic violence.. Heck, i have tons of police reports against my ex, not to mention she spent months at a time in the mental ward for self harm, strangling our cat, trying to kidnap me and our friend at knife point... just to name a few things.

I'm only basing my "overthinking", on if the person making the decision, isn't used to i 751, as the officer at fargo specifically said, and thus goes by "since you're not in an ongoing relationship", even thou as i 751, you're only supposed to prove that it was a bonafide relationship, AT TIME OF GETTING YOUR I 511... (at least that's what everyone who's gotten their i 751 / various articles say.)

If my i 751 is to be denied, I will appeal it, and hire lawyers etc. In terms of proof, we submitted literally everything in their list of proof of relationship, except having a child. Other than that, we literally ticked all the boxes, including foreign assets in both names. (well, my assets that I foolishly added her name to, before we got married)

Well what happened is that when you applied for the N-400, you were put in the back of the N-400 line. That line is related to your local office. We did not file the N-400 until after we received approval. Our local office is taking 18 months so we would have 2 1/2 to 3 years of nothing if we had filed. As soon as we were approved in July, then we just filed the N-400 online. I din't want to lose our place in the ROC line. The reason why is that if a local office is not backed up, filing the N-400 can make it go faster. However, in the city locations it makes it much slower and then you only have the letter to travel with. 

You are correct that you can be divorced, and all you have to prove is that you entered in the relationship for genuine reasons. If a divorce is final before you get approved, you are supposed to file for a divorce waiver. I do know people whose cases were given RFEs and then they were approved, even after divorce. You probably have enough evidence based on what you said to prove the genuine relationship and get approved for the ROC. However, the reason why the officer is saying that you should withdraw your N-400 is because you don't technically qualify anymore since you are not together. Did you read the USCIS memo I posted before? You would qualify at 5 years though so it is not a huge issue. 

https://my.uscis.gov/exploremyoptions/remove_conditional_status

You can see that being a victim of violence, a widow are categories that they mention.  Then see the section about the "waiver." Most people who do joint applications don't  get interviewed, but the divorce waivers are more likely to be interviewed. 

I guess you should wait and see what he says. 

Here is the related policy manual; https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartG-Chapter5.html

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
3 minutes ago, erinandahmet said:

Well what happened is that when you applied for the N-400, you were put in the back of the N-400 line. That line is related to your local office. We did not file the N-400 until after we received approval. Our local office is taking 18 months so we would have 2 1/2 to 3 years of nothing if we had filed. As soon as we were approved in July, then we just filed the N-400 online. I din't want to lose our place in the ROC line. The reason why is that if a local office is not backed up, filing the N-400 can make it go faster. However, in the city locations it makes it much slower and then you only have the letter to travel with. 

You are correct that you can be divorced, and all you have to prove is that you entered in the relationship for genuine reasons. If a divorce is final before you get approved, you are supposed to file for a divorce waiver. I do know people whose cases were given RFEs and then they were approved, even after divorce. You probably have enough evidence based on what you said to prove the genuine relationship and get approved for the ROC. However, the reason why the officer is saying that you should withdraw your N-400 is because you don't technically qualify anymore since you are not together. Did you read the USCIS memo I posted before? You would qualify at 5 years though so it is not a huge issue. 

https://my.uscis.gov/exploremyoptions/remove_conditional_status

You can see that being a victim of violence, a widow are categories that they mention.  Then see the section about the "waiver." Most people who do joint applications don't  get interviewed, but the divorce waivers are more likely to be interviewed. 

I guess you should wait and see what he says. 

Here is the related policy manual; https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartG-Chapter5.html

Thank you for the info.

When i applied for my n 400, (and not to vent too much), my wife was doing another month or so in the psych ward. I was considering not applying, but since i figured my life was going to be like this ; me going to see my wife at the mental ward everyday, the state was going to declare her a vulnerable adult, possibly put her in a home, what's another 6-12 months added to my process?  u know?

Timeline
22 minutes ago, santiagosilva said:

Thank you for the info.

When i applied for my n 400, (and not to vent too much), my wife was doing another month or so in the psych ward. I was considering not applying, but since i figured my life was going to be like this ; me going to see my wife at the mental ward everyday, the state was going to declare her a vulnerable adult, possibly put her in a home, what's another 6-12 months added to my process?  u know?

I'm sorry. That is a very sad situation. If I were in your position, I would definitely have all that paperwork organized and with me to show that there were a lot of factors outside of your control. Showing them that paperwork, plus your other bona fides will greatly help your case, even if you end up needing a waiver. Don't stress but just have your evidence prepared. Good luck! 

2 hours ago, erinandahmet said:

What evidence did they ask for? Was it at the interview? They only ask for a few basic items in the file which are located in the document checklist.  I actually spoke with the officer here specifically about each type of file when I was checking on our ROC. 

At the end of his interview the IO said everything looked good and that he was recommend for approval for both. Even though he marked N400 as. Decision cannot be made he said he only had to mark it like that because he had to go in a different system to approve ROC and then after 2 days he would approve N400. 5 days later he got the ROC approval letter and new green card in the mail and a few more days later he got the RFE asking for 3 years worth of relationship evidence even though everything was already submitted and brought to interview. Somehow our evidence was good enough for ROC but not N400. Screenshot_20190315-121209.thumb.jpg.a244dcc6d53eb6d933bb953e9a7024ae.jpg

Edited by corvusheart

- I am the US Sponsor-

Removal of Conditions (pending)

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

pokemon-signature-278b875.jpg

By the way we have a lawyer on board with us and he was shocked this happened. We have a simple and clean case. This has been our only stumbling point in the whole process.

- I am the US Sponsor-

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

Timeline
1 hour ago, corvusheart said:

At the end of his interview the IO said everything looked good and that he was recommend for approval for both. Even though he marked N400 as. Decision cannot be made he said he only had to mark it like that because he had to go in a different system to approve ROC and then after 2 days he would approve N400. 5 days later he got the ROC approval letter and new green card in the mail and a few more days later he got the RFE asking for 3 years worth of relationship evidence even though everything was already submitted and brought to interview. Somehow our evidence was good enough for ROC but not N400. Screenshot_20190315-121209.thumb.jpg.a244dcc6d53eb6d933bb953e9a7024ae.jpg

I am shocked too! I have not heard this one before. It is like a supervisor overrode the approval. Taxes are required, but none of the other things are specifically mentioned in the N-400 application. Those are all typical things for the ROC. I have noticed a lot more RFEs after our case was approved. What a hassle. I don't think that is typical at all, but they may be cracking down or trying to apply stricter standards, which of course will make everything longer and longer. Like asking for employment letters with all that specific info. People put that for their ROC sometimes but not N-400. 

I added  a few files because they were scanned and easily available when I did the N-400 online. I will have a folder ready with everything, but we still have approximately 10 months more of waiting. I have a feeling that they are also kind of not happy about all those people who were doing the combined cases. Some went smoothly, but I am hearing more and more weird stories and also just the endless wait for many people. By the time we get to our N-400 interview it will be around 5 years in the country anyway because they are so slow. 

Good luck. I hope they approve it soon. :)

1 hour ago, erinandahmet said:

I am shocked too! I have not heard this one before. It is like a supervisor overrode the approval. Taxes are required, but none of the other things are specifically mentioned in the N-400 application. Those are all typical things for the ROC. I have noticed a lot more RFEs after our case was approved. What a hassle. I don't think that is typical at all, but they may be cracking down or trying to apply stricter standards, which of course will make everything longer and longer. Like asking for employment letters with all that specific info. People put that for their ROC sometimes but not N-400. 

I added  a few files because they were scanned and easily available when I did the N-400 online. I will have a folder ready with everything, but we still have approximately 10 months more of waiting. I have a feeling that they are also kind of not happy about all those people who were doing the combined cases. Some went smoothly, but I am hearing more and more weird stories and also just the endless wait for many people. By the time we get to our N-400 interview it will be around 5 years in the country anyway because they are so slow. 

Good luck. I hope they approve it soon. :)

Thanks. I do know the IO flicked through his binder of evidences including all tax returns including 2018 taxes which were obviously not available yet when we filed for N400 in March 2018. He looked at everything but didn't take any documents. I think because he didn't take our 2018 taxes may be why this was triggered. He did take a scanned copy of my US passport biographical page and our marriage certificate but that was it. He didn't take our 2018 taxes.

- I am the US Sponsor-

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

• 2 weeks later...

I passed my naturlization interview today and my !-751 was also approved. Oath ceremony is a week today! This long visa journey is nearly over!

Spoiler

K1

15 November 2013: Sent I-129F Package 

21 November 2013: NOA1 

20 December 2013: NOA2

23 January 2014: Medical (London)

11 April 2014: Interview - Approved!

29 April 2014: POE Chicago

20 June 2014: Married in DC

AOS

7 July 2014: Mailed AOSEAD & AP forms via USPS

14 July 2014: NOA1 Text & E-Mails (x3) received at 23:52hrs (Received Date: 07/11/2014)

14 July 2014: Cheque cashed & I-485 transferred to Nebraska Service Centre

18 July 2014: NOA1 hardcopy received (x3)

22 July 2014: Biometrics Letter rec'd (Appointment 07/31/2014)

23 July 2014: Early Biometrics walk-in at Cincinnati office successful!

05 September 2014: EAD & AP approved! (texts rec'd 16:45hrs)

11 September 2014: EAD/AP card mailed

12 September 2014: EAD/AP card in hand (delivered 9:54am)

18 October 2014: Potential interview waiver letter rec'd (Dated: 10/15/2014)

19 May 2015: I-485 approved! (No interview) Welcome letter mailed!

23 May 2015: I-797 (NOA2) Welcome notice received

27 May 2015: Green card received

ROC

ROC filing window opens 18 February 2017

16 February 2017: ROC packet mailed to CSC

18 February 2017: USPS Tracking - Ready for collection from PO Box

25 February 2017: NOA1 received dated 02/21/2017

03 March 2017: Received biometrics appointment letter dated 25th February 2017. Appointment on 16 March 2017.

16 March 2017: Biometrics completed

08 March 2018: Case (allegedly) transferred to the National Benefits Center (presumably for a combo interview)

04 April 2019: ROC approved (as part of N-400 combo interview)

N-400

18 February 2018: N-400 Application submitted online

21 February 2018: NOA1 Rreceived

23 February 2018: Biometrics appointment letter received. Appointment 13 March 2018. 

27 April 2018: Interview notice received. Interview Date: June 5, 2018. Request to reschedule sent as out of the country at that time.

04 April 2019: Attended interview ... PASSED!

11 April 2019: Oath ceremony

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 8:58 PM, santiagosilva said:

3.     DesiCan.............................02/03/17.....................02/06/17..............03/02/17....................--/--/--........

Originally CSC I-751 ROC applicant - Applied N-400 in April/2018 from Dallas, TX. Got N-400 interview letter today. It doesn't indicate anywhere that it will be a combo interview or anything about ROC/I-751 but I suppose it will be! 

Edited by DesiCan

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello everyone,

i recently got my N400 schedule for March 23 then on March 19 I got it descheduled. I went to an infopass this morning just to find out that they instead scheduled my i751 interview instead N400. 

They sent it to my old address so that’s why I have never received it. My i751 application status has also never changed. 

Whats going on?

I129F sent : 20/12/2013

I129f received: 26/1/2013

NOA1 notification: 01/01/2014 heart.gifheart.gif

Alien registration number changed :03/01/2014

NOA2 notification: 04/02/2014

Case number: 14/02/2014heart.gifheart.gif

Embassy recieved: 19/02/2014

Fee paid: 26/02/2014

P3 recieved: 03/03/2014

P3 sent: 04/03/2014

Interview day : 07/05/2014goofy.gifgoofy.gif

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/16/2019 at 10:54 AM, santiagosilva said:

any updates anyone?

anyone still waiting?

I am still waiting

• I-751 in 2/2017
  • N-400 in 2/2018
  • Combo Interview 2/2019

It has been 3 months since the interview and still no updates. Do you have any suggestions? Should I try to contact my local congressman?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
On 5/21/2019 at 9:49 AM, et19 said:

I am still waiting

• I-751 in 2/2017
  • N-400 in 2/2018
  • Combo Interview 2/2019

It has been 3 months since the interview and still no updates. Do you have any suggestions? Should I try to contact my local congressman?

Still waiting. No interview. Nothing. Two one year stamps so far. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.