9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was over on the US government website and understand the renewal process. I will be submitting my previous passport for the renewal along with a new picture.

I'm just curious about the passport card. I don't remember when I got my original passport in 2007 of having that choice. 

My primary question is; is the card like a drivers license that just has your basic data on it? That's what I'm assuming. It has a $30 additional sub charge to get that option. That means the book and card option. Just curious thanks. 

Edited by COUSA
Grammar

Filed: Timeline
9 minutes ago, COUSA said:

I was over on the US government website and understand the renewal process. I will be submitting my previous passport for the renewal along with a new picture.

I'm just curious about the passport card. I don't remember when I got my original passport in 2007 of having that choice. 

My primary question is; is the card like a drivers license that just has your basic data on it? That's what I'm assuming. It has a $30 additional sub charge to get that option. That means the book and card option. Just curious thanks. 

The passport card did not exist in 2007. It was introduced in 2008, as part of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative that required US citizens to have passports to re-enter the US from Canada and Mexico.  It is credit card-sized, with your basic bio data and an RFID chip that allows the Port of Entry to call up additional information. It is essentially only valid for land travel (and some specific cruises), so if you do not live near one of the borders and make frequent trips across the border, or you have frequent times where you have to prove US citizenship, it really serves no purpose for you.

Edited by jan22

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I never saw a valid reason to get the card since it has limited use as compared to a full passport.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1 hour ago, missileman said:

I never saw a valid reason to get the card since it has limited use as compared to a full passport.

They are really useful if you live on the border (which was the reason for which they were developed) --- much more convenient to carry than the full passport; otherwise, I agree that there's no benefit to having one.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from the K-1 Process forum to the "Passports, etc." subforum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

On 3/4/2018 at 4:25 PM, jan22 said:

They are really useful if you live on the border (which was the reason for which they were developed) --- much more convenient to carry than the full passport; otherwise, I agree that there's no benefit to having one.

With the mandatory TSA-approved Driver License requirement or TSA-approved IDs for all states (useful for land border-crossing to Canada, Mexico, & cruising to Carribean),  it's not much beneficial anymore to get the PP card. I didn't even apply for PP card but the book, plus my state will roll out new TSA-approved DL/ID's by July so I'll wait just wait for this new ID to save money instead of getting a PP card.

2 hours ago, ruby_7 said:

With the mandatory TSA-approved Driver License requirement or TSA-approved IDs for all states (useful for land border-crossing to Canada, Mexico, & cruising to Carribean),  it's not much beneficial anymore to get the PP card. I didn't even apply for PP card but the book, plus my state will roll out new TSA-approved DL/ID's by July so I'll wait just wait for this new ID to save money instead of getting a PP card.

TSA-approved REAL ID driver's licenses may or may not meet the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative passport requirement.  To meet the requirement, it also has to be an Enhanced Driver's License (EDL).  An EDL will meet both the REAL ID and the WHTI requirements.  A REAL ID license is required identification for boarding domestic flights; it is not valid for border crossing purposes .  New York, for example, has options for three kinds of licenses at the moment: Standard (meets neither requirement),  REAL ID compliant license, and an EDL compliant license (that is also REAL ID compliant).  People need to check what types their state is issuing.  As of 2017, EDLs were only available in MI, MN, NY, VT, and WA.

Edited by jan22

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

A standard REAL ID does not prove citizenship, so that will not be WHTI compliant.  The Enhanced Driver License does prove citizenship, and is available only to citizen residents of the states/provinces that offer them - certain US states and some Canadian provinces offer them.

The passport card is WHTI compliant, and can be used as proof of citizenship to apply for a new passport in case your passport is lost or stolen - otherwise you'll need to send in your NC again in that scenario.  You may not use an Enhanced Driver License as proof of citizenship for a passport renewal in the same scenario....

• 5 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I got the passport ordered. I just did standard delivery since I'm not in any rush to hurry and didn't want to spend the extra $$$$. Took 21 days to get it from when I mailed it on March 22 to receiving it April 13.  I was very happy with that turnaround time for standard delivery since the website says 4–6 weeks. My honey ko and  I are learning a lot about each other. There are a lot of differences between the Mindanao and Luzon personality types. 

It's exciting to be conversing with her, but she is a very poor woman  as she says and frequently Suggest that I am obligated to help her financially. I have sent her some loads for her phone and a small remittance, but her expectations of me are not always Mat suggest that I am obligated to help her financially. I have sent her some loads for her phone and a small remittance, but her expectations of me are not always met.  She recently had a case of the Dengue's fever  and has a 50,000 PHP hospital bill that she would like for me to pay. I suggested to her that wasn't going to happen. It's fun. 

Just wanted to share the quick turnaround time of three weeks getting my passport standard delivery.

2F4B93B3-C192-42B5-BC66-74D8EA7297E2.jpeg

Edited by COUSA
Edit grammar

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.