TBoneTX

June 2017 I-129F Filers, Part IV

2,070 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
16 hours ago, akdf2014 said:

For us is North  Carolina, but our wedding will be held at my fiancé’s parents  home in Kansas.

Hi fellow Carolinian! :) I just thought it was cool to see you're from Wake Forest; I'm originally from Durham and my dad lives just outside Raleigh, so not far :P

15 hours ago, purplepink said:

Not sure if anyone will know, but will he have to provide his taxes from 2017?

He was being lazy and hasn't filed for 2017 yet. He probably will in the next week, but will his taxes from 2015 and 2016 be okay?

I think I saw someone already say this, but if the interview date falls after tax season ends, I would assume they will be looking for it. My fiancé's interview was end of February and I had already done my 2017 taxes just because my employer issues W2s literally the first week of the new year. He said the lady that looked at our papers made a comment about how I'd already done 2017, like it was a little surprising or something, so at that time they clearly weren't expecting that tax year. Even if it's cutting it close, I'd probably still have 2017 out of the way if it were me. I had everything from 2017 and 2016, and only the one page for 2015, and that was enough for them.

3 hours ago, Hadassah123 said:

California!

Our legal ceremony/wedding will be on the 14th - just decided that over the weekend actually :) It'll be small with just a couple people from his church and potentially his sister.

Our actual reception with friends and fam will be just outside of Chicago end of September.

We'll basically have 2 wedding dates....? ^_^

We're doing the same! Our traditional wedding/reception with family will be in the fall and we'll just be getting legally married soon after he comes home in May. I wasn't sure how to do that, because we never expected having "two" weddings before this, but we didn't want a summer wedding and it's cheaper for his family to fly to the states for it in the fall. But I'm going to go ahead and say it's an excuse to have cake two different times and have two dates to celebrate every year :P

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline

Hey all! I've had a question for a while and haven't really been able to find any direct answers about it. So I thought I'd ask you guys!

Can couples choose to have a small non-legal wedding with family while still waiting for their approval? Like if it's just a ceremony done before God is it still contradicting the K1 visa process? I know some friends that actually opted to have their (non-legal) marriage before their approval and it didn't affect them with their visa approval.. and they're now approved, but I'm not sure if they'll have to keep it a secret once they have their interview or not..

anyone have any insight on this topic? I'm very curious..

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline
16 minutes ago, Paul & Mallory said:

We're doing the same! Our traditional wedding/reception with family will be in the fall and we'll just be getting legally married soon after he comes home in May. I wasn't sure how to do that, because we never expected having "two" weddings before this, but we didn't want a summer wedding and it's cheaper for his family to fly to the states for it in the fall. But I'm going to go ahead and say it's an excuse to have cake two different times and have two dates to celebrate every year :P

:lol: to the cake thing! I hadn't even thought of cake for our legal ceremony, but hmm.... you've given me an idea! I do agree on the two dates to celebrate - more reasons for celebrations, yes! :D  Now only to have him remember all those dates....... haha.

We had not expected to do both either. We had initially set a date for all of it together end of April, but then with all the slow downs, and no NOA2 till early Jan, we decided to move the reception date to late September. No more stress on that - whoo! Just feels a bit weird to have 2 events, while I hadn't imagined that when we started this process.

Re summer wedding - same for us. For summer everything is more expensive. Venues, flights etc. So outside of summer season is sooo much better. My parents and aunt have actually already booked their flights. AMS - Chicago 8 days for 340 Euro's (with a direct going flight)! :D Prices for end April were originally around 550, prices for summer are likely 700+. Win - win for all of us :)

K1                                                                                            AoS                                                                                                                                 N-400

I-129F Received: 05-June-2017                                        AoS, EAD & AP Filed: 15-June-2018                                                                         N-400 Filed: 29-Sept-2020

NOA2: 09-January-2018                                                      NOA1 on all three: 27-June-2018                                                                             NOA1: 28-Sept-2020

NVC Received/Case #: 24-January-2018                         Biometrics: 20-July-2018                                                                                           Interview Date: 16-Feb-2021

Consulate Received: 02-February-2018                           Case Ready For Interview: 24-July-2018                                                                 Oath Ceremony: 18-Feb-2021

Interview: 13-March-2018                                                   EAD & AP Approvals: 18-October-2018                                                                   Expedited under section 319(b) - overseas military orders

VOH: 17-March-2018                                                           Interview Scheduled: 8-April-2019 / Rescheduled on 17-April-2019                  Biometrics re-used from AOS application. Skipped ROC

POE (LAX): 11-April-2018                                                    Interview Date: 28-April-2019 - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Katemdedo said:

Hey all! I've had a question for a while and haven't really been able to find any direct answers about it. So I thought I'd ask you guys!

Can couples choose to have a small non-legal wedding with family while still waiting for their approval? Like if it's just a ceremony done before God is it still contradicting the K1 visa process? I know some friends that actually opted to have their (non-legal) marriage before their approval and it didn't affect them with their visa approval.. and they're now approved, but I'm not sure if they'll have to keep it a secret once they have their interview or not..

People have been denied for appearing to be married while applying for the fiance K1 visa.  I would say don't risk it.  Wait until you have your visa in hand.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Just got out of the interview and it did not go as expected..
They want the original divorce decree from my fiance. I had the photocopy with me (the same we sent with the 129F) they said its not enough..
They gave me a 221g copy and said they keep everything to just mail them back the divorce copy and they will send me back the passport with the visa as soon as they receive it.

I'm just very surprised cause this stage about my fiance being USC free to marry is supposed to have already been checked during the Noa1 process.

Ive read on the Arizona County Court that its possible to get a certified copy, I thought thats what I had..

Is a certified copy will be enough ?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline
42 minutes ago, Jeff_9802 said:

People have been denied for appearing to be married while applying for the fiance K1 visa.  I would say don't risk it.  Wait until you have your visa in hand.

To be even more safe, wait until you've passed POE with your K1. Anything even close to smelling like a wedding could endanger your chances. Don't risk it.

01/30/2018: I-129f sent

02/02/2018: I-129f received

02/07/2018: NOA1

02/17/2018: NOA1 Hardcopy

08/07/2018: NOA2

08/10/2018: NOA2 Hardcopy

08/24/2018: NVC case number assigned

08/29/2018: NVC sent

09/12/2018: KL embassy Packet 3 received

09/27/2018: Medical

10/18/2018: Interview - Approved!

10/2X/2018: Visa on hand

11/29/2018: Point of Entry!

12/14/2018: WEDDING!

01/09/2019: AOS/EAD/AP packet mailed

01/19/2019: NOA1 received

02/01/2019: RFIE received

02/07/2019: Biometrics appointment

02/11/2019: RFIE response mailed

08/08/2019: EAD/AP approved

08/14/2019: AOS Interview & Combo card arrived in mail

08/21/2019: Green Card arrived in mail

Timeline
1 hour ago, Hadassah123 said:

:lol: to the cake thing! I hadn't even thought of cake for our legal ceremony, but hmm.... you've given me an idea! I do agree on the two dates to celebrate - more reasons for celebrations, yes! :D  Now only to have him remember all those dates....... haha.

We had not expected to do both either. We had initially set a date for all of it together end of April, but then with all the slow downs, and no NOA2 till early Jan, we decided to move the reception date to late September. No more stress on that - whoo! Just feels a bit weird to have 2 events, while I hadn't imagined that when we started this process.

Re summer wedding - same for us. For summer everything is more expensive. Venues, flights etc. So outside of summer season is sooo much better. My parents and aunt have actually already booked their flights. AMS - Chicago 8 days for 340 Euro's (with a direct going flight)! :D Prices for end April were originally around 550, prices for summer are likely 700+. Win - win for all of us :)

Yesss I'm ALWAYS looking for a reason to have cake :P

That's sort of how it happened for us, too. Once he cleared his interview and we picked a POE date (May 16 so he could stay for his nephew's birthday before leaving), we initially picked June 16 as our wedding date. We never planned on having anything big and are actually using my sister's house since they have a large backyard that's private with pretty trees/woods behind it and a really big outdoor patio/deck area. So booking stuff last minute wasn't an issue, and we wanted to do everything at once within the 90 days. But while I was still in Sweden, right before I left, his family voiced their wishes to come for the wedding, which we hadn't been aware of or knew they'd be able to. So we looked at flights for them in June, and even though it's WAY cheaper to fly from Sweden to SC versus from here to there, it was still crazy expensive for them to come in June. So I threw out the idea of having it later and just getting legally married once he's home. Seemed to work for everyone and gives me the fall wedding I've actually always wanted :)

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

Timeline
1 hour ago, Katemdedo said:

I've come across multiple posts around the forums here of people having been denied as a result of doing something just like that, even if it's not legal. It is NOT worth the risk. Wait until you're done with the process. If it's a matter of having something when certain people are available, plan something afterwards even if it falls outside of the 90 days - for us, we'll be getting legally married at the courthouse once he's here but having a traditional ceremony/reception in the fall so his family can come into town for it.

Håll ut, y'all.

Timeline
39 minutes ago, Jolie&Charles said:

They want the original divorce decree from my fiance. I had the photocopy with me (the same we sent with the 129F) they said its not enough..
They gave me a 221g copy and said they keep everything to just mail them back the divorce copy and they will send me back the passport with the visa as soon as they receive it.

I'm just very surprised cause this stage about my fiance being USC free to marry is supposed to have already been checked during the Noa1 process.

Ive read on the Arizona County Court that its possible to get a certified copy, I thought thats what I had..

While this is understandably disappointing, this is NOT bad news. The fact that they took everything else, including your passport to send back with the visa, is a good thing. It means you basically check out, they just need the appropriate issue of the divorce decree. Once you send it to them, it shouldn't take long to get your visa if/once everything checks out - in our case, the same thing happened to my fiancé because they hadn't received the official papers from his doctor for his medical yet. They took his passport and everything. They received the papers on 2/27 (interview date was 2/22), and his visa and passport arrived in the mail 3/5.

I BELIEVE certified should be sufficient, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. If I recall correctly, my fiancé had a certified copy of his, which was in Swedish, and a certified/notarized English translated copy as well.

Håll ut, y'all.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Paul & Mallory said:

While this is understandably disappointing, this is NOT bad news. The fact that they took everything else, including your passport to send back with the visa, is a good thing. It means you basically check out, they just need the appropriate issue of the divorce decree. Once you send it to them, it shouldn't take long to get your visa if/once everything checks out - in our case, the same thing happened to my fiancé because they hadn't received the official papers from his doctor for his medical yet. They took his passport and everything. They received the papers on 2/27 (interview date was 2/22), and his visa and passport arrived in the mail 3/5.

I BELIEVE certified should be sufficient, but someone correct me if I'm wrong. If I recall correctly, my fiancé had a certified copy of his, which was in Swedish, and a certified/notarized English translated copy as well.

Thank you very much, its true that the bottom line is that its not a denied but moslty put the case "on hold". 

Im feeling down and waiting for the Court Office to open to see if they can mail it to me since my fiancé is currently deployed..

Thanks for your words, I appreciate it ♥️

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Jolie&Charles said:

Thank you very much, its true that the bottom line is that its not a denied but moslty put the case "on hold". 

Im feeling down and waiting for the Court Office to open to see if they can mail it to me since my fiancé is currently deployed..

Thanks for your words, I appreciate it ♥️

You're doing the best thing possible - getting right on it and taking care of it :)

You'll feel a lot better once it's sent back, and you're back on track. My fiancé was bummed monetarily after his interview for the same reason, but we decided to consider ourselves approved, he just had to wait a little while longer for the visa. Once it came, we no longer thought about the fact that it even happened.

Håll ut, y'all.

Timeline
32 minutes ago, Paul & Mallory said:

I've come across multiple posts around the forums here of people having been denied as a result of doing something just like that, even if it's not legal. It is NOT worth the risk. Wait until you're done with the process. If it's a matter of having something when certain people are available, plan something afterwards even if it falls outside of the 90 days - for us, we'll be getting legally married at the courthouse once he's here but having a traditional ceremony/reception in the fall so his family can come into town for it.

I figured it was a no no. I just don't really understand why.. if something is personal and not deemed as 'legal' why is it wrong to do? we don't plan on doing anything before our approval, but it just frustrates me how there's no real answers to anything when it comes to uscis. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Jeff_9802 said:

Yeah, I bet it's a scary situation to be in for couples that chose to do things that way.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
1 hour ago, Jolie&Charles said:

Hey, I wouldn't worry about it. My fiance got a 221g too because they wanted me to send in another I-134 and proof that I am a USC. It pushed us back a week but he's here now. Your visa will be with you very soon!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.