Mzlin35

I-130 March 2018 filers [merged threads]

2,480 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Nash44 said:

NVC received mine on Jan 24. Did you filed your tax return as married filing separately? Did you put NRA in SSN field or what you did ? can you tell me more on how you filed your taxes ?

Yeah so I went to a tax person and then they put “unable” for his SSN because that was an option on their advanced tax software, but I’ve seen many people write NRA.  Once I had the 1040 printed and signed with W2s, I mailed it in. If you mail in this week, it’ll be a close call as to which you’ll receive first- a case number or a transcript.  I filed as married filing separately. The only option unless your husband has an ITIN is to mail in this year. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
2 hours ago, Nash44 said:

I am waiting for my case number from NVC  for my spouse. In the meantime should i file my taxes for 2018 ? Should i file as Single or Married filing separately ? I tried to file married filing separately but found out that i cannot e-file since my spouse is not here and do'nt have ssn. What will be the best option in this condition.  Also paper tax filing tax return takes 6- 8 weeks so if i file my taxes i wont be able to generate my tax transcript for 2018 taxes until several weeks for AOS

1 hour ago, Nash44 said:

Do you know how long will it for transcripts to be available if you do the paper file? Cant see the option for e-file without SSN. Dont know how you guys been filing in electronically?

->If you are married you can't file as Single because that will be a lie. If you are married you can either married filing jointly (MFJ) or married filing separate (MFS). So for you, your only options are MFJ and MFS. Additionally, you can't file MFJ or MFS electronically if don't have  SSN/ITIN for both spouses, so will have to file it by paper no matter what.

->When you are filing by paper as MFS you don't need to provide SSN/ITIN for spouse.

->When you are filing by paper as MSJ, you will need to provide ITIN for the spouse, and since you wouldn't have the ITIN, you'll have to concurrently file your taxes with form W-7 at the same time. This will allow IRS to issue ITIN# and process your taxes at the same time.

->Filing by paper means your transcript will become available by 6-8 weeks timeframe (which you correctly indicated). I read somewhere that IRS agents are working in overdrive to process tax returns so it's possible for your transcripts to be available sooner but for now just go with their guideline of 6-8 weeks. https://www.irs.gov/individuals/transcript-availability

->Sidenote: Since you'll have to file by paper anyways, why don't you file as MFJ by applying for ITIN# (form W-7) at the same time? The reason I'm asking is you'll actually get a lot tax return money back from IRS; it's very significant.

->In my case, I was able to file electronically this year because I paper filed MFJ last year to obtain ITIN# for my spouse. So this year I was able to file electronically with ITIN# I received last year.

->Sidenote: I believe you can still use your 2017 tax transcripts as your latest tax return transcript until April 15th. It's only after April 15th that 2018 transcripts become mandatory.

Edited by nastra30

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
2 hours ago, Nash44 said:

I am waiting for my case number from NVC  for my spouse. In the meantime should i file my taxes for 2018 ? Should i file as Single or Married filing separately ? I tried to file married filing separately but found out that i cannot e-file since my spouse is not here and do'nt have ssn. What will be the best option in this condition.  Also paper tax filing tax return takes 6- 8 weeks so if i file my taxes i wont be able to generate my tax transcript for 2018 taxes until several weeks for AOS

you actually do not have to file as married; I've done my research on this and according to the fb group for this there are various posts that state you can file single 

Edited by Dee93

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Dee93 said:

you actually do not have to file as married; I've done my research on this and according to the fb group for this there are various posts that state you can file single 

The only situation I have heard of where you can file as single when you are married is where you are married but separated.

15 minutes ago, nastra30 said:

->If you are married you can't file as Single because that will be a lie. If you are married you can either married filing jointly (MFJ) or married filing separate (MFS). So for you, your only options are MFJ and MFS. Additionally, you can't file MFJ or MFS electronically if don't have  SSN/ITIN for both spouses, so will have to file it by paper no matter what.

->When you are filing by paper as MFS you don't need to provide SSN/ITIN for spouse.

->When you are filing by paper as MSJ, you will need to provide ITIN for the spouse, and since you wouldn't have the ITIN, you'll have to concurrently file your taxes with form W-7 at the same time. This will allow IRS to issue ITIN# and process your taxes at the same time.

->Filing by paper means your transcript will become available by 6-8 weeks timeframe (which you correctly indicated). I read somewhere that IRS agents are working in overdrive to process tax returns so it's possible for your transcripts to be available sooner but for now just go with their guideline of 6-8 weeks. https://www.irs.gov/individuals/transcript-availability

->Sidenote: Since you'll have to file by paper anyways, why don't you file as MFJ by applying for ITIN# (form W-7) at the same time? The reason I'm asking is you'll actually get a lot tax return money back from IRS; it's very significant.

->In my case, I was able to file electronically this year because I paper filed MFJ last year to obtain ITIN# for my spouse. So this year I was able to file electronically with ITIN# I received last year.

->Sidenote: I believe you can still use your 2017 tax transcripts as your latest tax return transcript until April 15th. It's only after April 15th that 2018 transcripts become mandatory.

Thanks for such a clear explanation. And yes i can submit my 2017 transcript to NVC but I have seen lots of people mentioned that they have been asked for latest tax return if your interview is after April 15. Looking at everyone’s timeline it doesn’t look like my spouse interview will be before april 15 so i will need to prepare with my 2018 transcript/ tax return for the interview. 

Edited by Nash44

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Nash44 said:

Thanks for such a clear explanation. And yes i can submit my 2017 transcript to NVC but I have seen lots of people mentioned that they have been asked for latest tax return if your interview is after April 15. Looking at everyone’s timeline it doesn’t look like my spouse interview will be before april 15 so i will need to prepare with my 2018 transcript/ tax return for the interview. 

You are welcome. Can you fill your timeline so advise can be given based on where you are in the process.👍. Your spouse may also be able to file as head of house as a third option but I didn't bring that up because there are additional specific requirements for that and didn't seem that was something you guys are considering. https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/us-citizens-and-resident-aliens-abroad-head-of-household

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hey 

i submitted all doc to NVC but i heard that they don’t accept tax return 1040 so they want also the transcript even the web site say ‘’ return tax or transcript ‘’ anybody have info ?? Also do we have to send only the most recent year or the all 3 last years because i have trouble to comprisse the doc in one files come more 2MG .

thank you 

On 2/14/2019 at 1:23 AM, Annie0913 said:

I submitted 2015 - 2017 tax transcripts. All of my documents are accepted and I got case complete now just waiting for an interview date. 

How soon after your docs were accepted did you get case completed?

All docs accepted on 8th Feb. Email said they will arrange interview with embassy. 

But Still no case complete 😖??

On 2/14/2019 at 6:47 PM, CarlosSeoanes said:

Anybody that has paid the NVC fees (AOS & IV fees), how long did it take for the NVC system to update from "in process" to "Paid"?

Paid on Friday morning  and fees showed paid by Monday. It was really quick for us. 

46 minutes ago, arc1929 said:

So my wife just finished her interview just now and was granted her visa. They didn't even look at any of our "proof". They asked for the necessary documents and asked her a few questions. She said it was 5 min or less. 

This is very exciting news for all of us!! Congratulations, happy to hear your wait is finally over! 

How long did it take you to receive interview date? 

Edited by Rosalessss1023

Timeline
1 hour ago, MrsB2212 said:

How soon after your docs were accepted did you get case completed?

All docs accepted on 8th Feb. Email said they will arrange interview with embassy. 

But Still no case complete 😖??

I think that means your case is complete. Log into CEAC messages and see if you have a message that says documentarily qualified. If so, your case is complete and will be scheduled for interview.

Edited by nastra30

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.