scott1975

AOS Interview comming up. Question

7 posts in this topic

My wife an I have out AOS Interview on Monday. She is from Mexico, I am a US citizen and we have been married for 7 months.

I am having some concerns about the upcomming interview becasue I know we have not used the last few months properly toprepare for it. My wife's autorization to work application is stil being precessed and we are still waiting for her non-work SS# which should take another 2-3 weeks. Becasue of this she has no job, no driver license, we have no joint bills or loans, or shared insurance.

What we DO HAVE is an apartment lease with both our names on it. I have my 2006 Tax returns which I filed jointly. ( She had no income in 2006, and I left her SS# blank until we get her number in a few weeks) We have a year worth of pictures of us together, on trips and with family. We have met each others family and have spent holidays with family. We do have a joint savings account which we opened just a week ago.

we have found it very difficult to gather more documents and evidence of our marriage without her SS#.

Does anyone have any expierence in this matter to give an opinion of how our interview might go? Should we reschedule the interview so that we can gather more documents such as her DL, joint auto insurance, joint bills and health insurance.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
My wife an I have out AOS Interview on Monday. She is from Mexico, I am a US citizen and we have been married for 7 months.

I am having some concerns about the upcomming interview becasue I know we have not used the last few months properly toprepare for it. My wife's autorization to work application is stil being precessed and we are still waiting for her non-work SS# which should take another 2-3 weeks. Becasue of this she has no job, no driver license, we have no joint bills or loans, or shared insurance.

What we DO HAVE is an apartment lease with both our names on it. I have my 2006 Tax returns which I filed jointly. ( She had no income in 2006, and I left her SS# blank until we get her number in a few weeks) We have a year worth of pictures of us together, on trips and with family. We have met each others family and have spent holidays with family. We do have a joint savings account which we opened just a week ago.

we have found it very difficult to gather more documents and evidence of our marriage without her SS#.

Does anyone have any expierence in this matter to give an opinion of how our interview might go? Should we reschedule the interview so that we can gather more documents such as her DL, joint auto insurance, joint bills and health insurance.

Scott,

We had the same problem. The interviewer just took the lease agreement, the tax return and about 3 pics and went and made copies and said that was all he needed for approval.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

According to my attorney it shouldn't be a huge deal. If you had been married for say, 5 years, it might be a different story. I think the point of "proving your relationship" is to prove it is a valid union based on love, not the desire to acquire residency. Know what I mean? In fact, I think pictures speak of this better then a joint bank account. Any two fools can get a bank account together, however, a couple in a fraudulent relationship would be less likely to vacation with each other's family and look as though they are enjoying themselves.

I think you should take as much evidence supporting your union, both legal and emotional. Before I got pregnant I was going to take my birth control prescription. Consummation of a marriage is pretty compelling evidence that you are emotionally invested in one another and not just out for a green card.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

dont be panic. everything will just be fine

in our interview, he just asked for some pictures we took together and with my family,

ask about how we met where we met, and future plan.

we dont even have wedding picture and the interview just went smooth

I-129F Sent : 4/23/2006

I-129F NOA1 (Receipt) : 05/04/2006

I-129F RFE(s) : 06/23/2006

Approved 7/26/2006

VISA APPROVED FINALLY 10/16/2006

Married on Dec 19th 2006......

AOS-starts Jan 18th 2007

NOA1 received on 01/24/2007

Fingerprint schedule 02/09/2007

RFE sent to me 01/30/2007

RFE received 02/12/2007, Case resumes

AOS interview scheduled 04/25/2007 and APPROVED

Welcome notice mailed 04/26/2007

Welcome Notice received 04/30/2007

Card production ordered 04/30/2007

Card received 05/06/07

Removing Condition

I-751 mailed 1/26/2009

Check cashed 1/29/2009

I-751 NOA1 (Receipt) : 02/02/2009

Fingerprint letter received on 02/04/2009

Fingerprint schedule 02/13/2009 (Completed in 20 minutes)

NOA touched 2/13, 2/16 , 2/17

RFE issued 03/28/2009

RFE received 04/01/2009

RFE sent 04/04/2009

I-751 Approved ( decison made ) 04/24/2009

Appproval letter received 04/30/2009

Card production ordered 06/16/2009

10 Year Green Card received 07/02/2009

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
dont be panic. everything will just be fine

in our interview, he just asked for some pictures we took together and with my family,

ask about how we met where we met, and future plan.

we dont even have wedding picture and the interview just went smooth

I have my interview coming up soon. I have no bank account here, and as they have only just given me a work permit, I couldn't be on the apartment lease as I don't have a ss card! They can't kick off about it as it is impossible to get the legal proof without a SS number!

I think the photos and marriage license will be fine, but we'll see!

Don't panic.

Ps. does anyone know how long the interview last, and what questions they ask?

08/01/05 - received NOA 1

10/28/05 - received NOA 2

11/17/05 - received packet 3

11/18/05 - booked medical

11/24/05 - sent in Packet 3, happy thanksgiving!

11/26/05 - medical in birmingham

11/27/05 - embassy received packet 3 via recorded delivery

11/30/05 - received medical back from birmingham

12/19/05 - got police cert back - 40 days exactly!

12/22/05 - emailed embassy to hassle them for an interview date

12/29/05 - they emailed me back saying interview will be on Feb 1st

12/30/05 - packet 4 received in mail

02/01/06 - interview - APPROVED

03/09/06 - fly out to san fransisco

05/13/06 - Married!!

12/23/06 - Sent AOS

02/08/07 - Fingerprints

03/06/07 - More fingerprints!

04/27/07 - Emploment Authorisation Card arrives!!

04/30/07 - Interview date arrives

05/01/07 - Applied for social security number at SS office

05/30/07 - AOS interview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
According to my attorney it shouldn't be a huge deal. If you had been married for say, 5 years, it might be a different story. I think the point of "proving your relationship" is to prove it is a valid union based on love, not the desire to acquire residency. Know what I mean? In fact, I think pictures speak of this better then a joint bank account. Any two fools can get a bank account together, however, a couple in a fraudulent relationship would be less likely to vacation with each other's family and look as though they are enjoying themselves.

I think you should take as much evidence supporting your union, both legal and emotional. Before I got pregnant I was going to take my birth control prescription. Consummation of a marriage is pretty compelling evidence that you are emotionally invested in one another and not just out for a green card.

Well, birth control doesn't really prove consummation of marriage. I've been taking birth control since I was 13 to control 8 day long periods from hell. I could see where you were going with that, but that's just my opinion.

As far as the pictures thing, my IO didn't ask to see any pictures, and I've heard of other IOs doing the same. We've only been married 4 months, so I showed letters from my company saying he's the beneficiary of my life insurance and proof he's on my dental, along with our bank acct.

I believe the joint documents is considered more primary evidence while pictures are secondary.

Either way, you can only take what you have. Get creative - I printed a screen shot of metlife.com (my dental insurance provider) as proof we're on the same plan, because dental doesn't give insurance cards.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Even adding her to some of your bills or adding her as an authorized user on your credit card would help. But, who knows, you may not need alot either. Good luck!

K1 Journey:

April 13/06 NOA1 from NSC

June 1/06 - Moved to CSC

August 12/06 APPROVED - NOA2!!

August 28/06 Left NVC. . . Vancouver Bound!

September 27/06 Interview APPROVED, with visa in hand

October 29/06 Moving Date

December 30/06 Married!!

AOS Journey:

January 16/07 Sent out AOS, EAD, and AP docs

January 23/07 NOA1's for AOS, EAD and AP

February 13/07 Biometrics in Portland, OR

April 7/07 EAD and AP Received

April 24/07 Interview Scheduled . . . and APPROVED, stamp and all!

May 7/07 Greencard is in my hands!

ROC Journey:

February 17/09 Sent I-751 to CSC

February 18/09 NOA1

March 14/09 Biometrics appt.

April 22/09 Date of Approval!!

June 25/09 Greencard arrives in the mail!

*Everything I post is just my .02 cents, seek a lawyer for anything beyond that.*

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.