2018JNJ

January 2018 Filers

3,943 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Ohyeahsunnyday said:

Being in military, one will be able to expedite the case? 

Does anyone know if the requirement is just this simple or it is still case by case?

If getting deployed yes (more of a maybe but mostly yes)

if not "no", not even training, it has to be deployment in order.

Edited by Naes

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Naes said:

If getting deployed yes (more of a maybe but mostly yes)

if not "no", not even training, it has to be deployment in order.

I was slightly excited for awhile but yeah...I guess I will get my fiance to find out. 

On the side note, (assuming the processing time stays as current or even extend) he will be close to due for deployment or even at deployment. So still need to speak to someone about it.

Just when I thought we are finally done after submitting the packet (I had a difficult time to get him fill up the forms), oh great another problem...

Timeline
1 minute ago, Ohyeahsunnyday said:

I was slightly excited for awhile but yeah...I guess I will get my fiance to find out. 

On the side note, (assuming the processing time stays as current or even extend) he will be close to due for deployment or even at deployment. So still need to speak to someone about it.

Just when I thought we are finally done after submitting the packet (I had a difficult time to get him fill up the forms), oh great another problem...

He needs to show deployment order as a proof.

i am a fiancé of former navy btw. And believe me there are lots of active military here couldn't get expedite. 

cases without proof usually don't get expedited. But you can call uscis hotline for military if you like. 

Edited by Naes

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Naes said:

He needs to show deployment order as a proof.

i am a fiancé of former navy btw. And believe me there are lots of active military here couldn't get expedite. 

cases without proof usually don't get expedited. But you can call uscis hotline for military if you like. 

I am certainly okay and prepared myself for this long waiting. But yeah I am not excited after everything is done and he is not home. And when he gets back, my visa expires. 

Expedite is a bonus. 

I will get him to speak to someone about it. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Ohyeahsunnyday said:

I am certainly okay and prepared myself for this long waiting. But yeah I am not excited after everything is done and he is not home. And when he gets back, my visa expires. 

Expedite is a bonus. 

I will get him to speak to someone about it. 

Definitely you should I'm serious about calling he uscis hotline for military members btw. They would give you information on if you can and what you would need. Also you (actually anyone) can put an expedite request, its denial doesn't affect anything.

although I have no clue what you meant by "visa expires" k1 doesn't really work like that.

Edited by Naes

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I am trying to gather some paperwork while waiting for NOA2.  How recent does the criminal record check need to be? 6 months? a year?  I can't seem to find any information online.  So far I got my immunization record and the birth certificate is easy to request.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Naes said:

Definitely you should I'm serious about calling he uscis hotline for military members btw. They would give you information on if you can and what you would need. Also you (actually anyone) can put an expedite request, its denial doesn't affect anything.

although I have no clue what you meant by "visa expires" k1 doesn't really work like that.

Thanks. I will look into it. He is out at sea so gonna wait awhile. 

Correct me if I am wrong. Upon approval, K1 is valid for 6 months from the medical check up date?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Ohyeahsunnyday said:

Thanks. I will look into it. He is out at sea so gonna wait awhile. 

Correct me if I am wrong. Upon approval, K1 is valid for 6 months from the medical check up date?

Yes, however You need to get married in 90 days and file for AOS. Which means there's no visa to expire at that point. Your AOS will be pending. All k1 expires, because it turns to pending.

also that is valid to enter to US. Validity of a visa to use at Poe, and that 90 day period is different.

Edited by Naes

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Jlomartin said:

I am trying to gather some paperwork while waiting for NOA2.  How recent does the criminal record check need to be? 6 months? a year?  I can't seem to find any information online.  So far I got my immunization record and the birth certificate is easy to request.

Depends on the country and embassy. You need to check embassy and country specific info for the police certification.

if it is a country you won't go back to, you can get it now. But if it is where you are living get it closer to the interview.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Naes said:

Yes, however You need to get married in 90 days and file for AOS. Which means there's no visa to expire at that point. Your AOS will be pending. All k1 expires, because it turns to pending.

also that is valid to enter to US. Validity of a visa to use at Poe, and that 90 day period is different.

Yeah the validity of 6 months. What happens after 6 months? 

Because yeah I can get in within time. But he might be still deployed. So we won't be able to marry within 90 days too. 

Is it still confusing?

Timeline
1 minute ago, Ohyeahsunnyday said:

Because yeah I can get in within time. But he might be still deployed. So we won't be able to marry within 90 days too. 

Is it still confusing?

Then you arrange it to be there before he gets deployed. Isn't it 6 months deployments? Does he get deployed for a whole 9 months? If that's the case I would just get married and file cr1.

And embassy can reissue it to (which happens a lot actually as long as not married. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Ohyeahsunnyday said:

Is it still confusing?

You can just try and apply, you just need evidence that it needs to be expedited. Most cases that's a deployment order, not a possibility. But applying doesn't hurt anyone. I know a lot got approved and a lot got denied and then suddenly got deployed but it was too far ahead and hey got the noa2 that week.

you can go around and check, or create a topic to ask info on how people did it.

theres also a military topic in the forum. 

So as I said it doesn't hurt but get your evidence ready. 

Timeline
36 minutes ago, Naes said:

You can just try and apply, you just need evidence that it needs to be expedited. Most cases that's a deployment order, not a possibility. But applying doesn't hurt anyone. I know a lot got approved and a lot got denied and then suddenly got deployed but it was too far ahead and hey got the noa2 that week.

you can go around and check, or create a topic to ask info on how people did it.

theres also a military topic in the forum. 

So as I said it doesn't hurt but get your evidence ready. 

I will look into what you say and also the military topic thingy. 

I just felt like isn't filing the packet end of the story. I wasn't expecting to look into more things or "researching" again.

Anyway thanks Naes!

Timeline
Just now, Ohyeahsunnyday said:

I will look into what you say and also the military topic thingy. 

I just felt like isn't filing the packet end of the story. I wasn't expecting to look into more things or "researching" again.

Anyway thanks Naes!

Just think about the end and when you won't be thinking about these for a while..

Good luck :) 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I posted in another thread about a question I had with my NOA1, but apparently my question didn't get seen.

My fiancee's full legal name is "(given name) D/O (her father's first name)".  D/O means "daughter of"; it's a Tamil naming convention and is part of her first name on her passport.  On our NOA1, her name is listed as "(her father's first name), (given name) D O" - no slash in D/O.

Is this just a limitation in USCIS's system or something that I have to call them about and correct?

June 2016: We started writing to each other

June-July 2017: Met in person in the US for our first anniversary

December 2017 - January 2018: Met again in the US and got engaged

01/09/2018: I-129F sent to the USCIS Dallas Lockbox via FedEx

01/16/2018: Received NOA1 (NOA1 notice date: 01/11/2018)

June-July 2018: Met in person in Singapore and Australia for our second anniversary

08/03/2018: Notice date on our NOA2 (updated in USCIS's new website on August 6)

08/15/2018: Our case reached NVC

08/22/2018: Received NVC case number

09/04/2018: Our package left NVC (arrived 9/11, and she sent packet 3 that day)

09/20/2018: Received packet 4; scheduled interview

10/30/2018: Interview - told that we're approved!  Now waiting to receive the visa...
11/27/2018: Port of Entry at BWI

12/1/2018: Our wedding!

12/8/2018: Filed AoS on the way to our honeymoon (12/8-15/2018)
6/~7/2019: EAD and AP approved
09/25/2019: AOS interview in Orlando -- approval and green card!

Next step, June 2019: Filing I-751

Note: My wife is a Singaporean.  She moved to Australia before we met and got permanent residency there.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.