DollyDolly

Knightsbridge Medical Visit - Experience

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all

I had my medical yesterday at Knightsbridge Doctors in London. Just giving an account of what happened for all those curious / awaiting theirs / nervous.

Arrived just before 14:00 (appointment at 14:10). Very easy to find using google maps - buzzer on building is labelled as Knightsbridge Flat 4.

Gave all my paperwork to the receptionist. She copied everything and kept it until the end of the medical appointment. Was asked if she could keep my doctors report on one of my medical conditions - I requested she photocopied it for me as this cost £37.50 and contained info i'd like to have for the future. Happy to do this, provided me a photocopy. Filled out a more extensive medical form and handed this in. Also i was given a urine sample pot which I completed straight away (they do have water in the waiting room in case you need it).

I sat down in the waiting room. Was called in after 20-25 minutes wait for my chest X-Ray. Went in, took off my top, bra etc behind a privacy curtain. (If you have any metal or objects on your body around the chest area (e.g. necklaces, piercings, long dangling earrings - you will be asked to remove). For those with long hair - it has to go up so bring a hair band (they did have a big hair clip to use if needed). Put on a navy blue medical gown. Kept trousers and shoes on. Technician asks you to press your chest against a white plasticky panel and chin on top of the panel and the x-ray is conducted. Asked to breathe deeply a few times. He looked at my x-ray on the screen after i'd got dressed again and said all looks ok but the doctor would review it later on that evening. This part of the medical took around 5 mins, if that. 

Went back to the waiting room. Another 30 mins or so. Doctor called me in and went over the extensive medical form, looked through my records and letters from my GP. Asked a few questions about my epilepsy and a previous foot surgery I had  - all fine no issues there for either condition. Asked if I have any criminal convictions - answered no. Asked if I had ever used recreational drugs - answered no. Then height, weight  and eyesight checked whilst fully clothed with shoes off. Was instructed to undress down to my underwear behind a curtain and lay on the medical bed with the gown draped over me like a blanket. Then the doctor came back in, checked my blood pressure (all ok) and took my blood sample (very quick and totally painless - was advised this is a test for syphilis only). She then looked over my body, checked my skin briefly, as I am naturally very pale she asked a few questions about sunscreen and keeping out of the sun. I advised I always cover up to avoid burning. Checked my legs and arms to see that I had normal touch sensation in them - all fine. Moved my legs and bent my knees a couple of times (unsure what this check was for). Asked if i ever experienced ankle swelling - no (unsure why this was asked). Then she listened to my chest with a stethoscope. After this I was instructed to get dressed again. The doctor made a comment that everything seemed fine with me.

There was no genital examination at all or any questions related to this. I had previously read on here that it is always carried out at Knightsbridge??

Then back in the waiting room. Vaccine nurse called me in, went over my 'red book' of vaccines and took my Boots flu vaccine record. Happy with all vaccines except I have not had a tetanus vaccine since my first one in 1998. She provided me with a letter to take to my GP so that they would provide me my tetanus booster vaccine for free. Was given the option to have the vaccine at Knightsbridge for £40 - advised i'd go to the GP as free. Was told i'd need my GP to provide written proof that they had given me this vaccine for my AOS

Went back to the waiting room. Receptionist gave me back all my documents, advised me my medical is good for 6 months and said all samples / xray would be tested and results sent to embassy. If i do not hear from Knightsbridge regarding samples / xray, told to assume everything tested as normal. 

Paid the eye watering £300 and was on my way.

All Knightsbridge staff were personable and put me completely at ease. The whole process from arriving to leaving took around 1 hour 45 mins.

Edited by LucyDolly

--- Beneficiary---

NOA1: 24 May 2017

No RFEs
NOA2: 09 September 2017
K1 received : 23 March 2018 :D

Next Step: Flight booked for 15 April 2018 - POE Washington Dulles

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
1 hour ago, LucyDolly said:

Was told i'd need my GP to provide written proof that they had given me this vaccine for my AOS

You will be proving it to another designated doctor in the US (called Civil Surgeon) who may require you to do another full medical. That could easily cost you four times what the Tetanus shot cost at Knightsbridge. USCIS will not accept something from your doctor, thus the need for a Civil Surgeon to sign off on an official form. 

You can try to reach Knifhtsbridge early Monday and ask that they hold your medical report until your doctor can fax over proof of shot so your immunization record will be complete and signed off on an official immigration form. Your GP may not give the flu shot free because it's probably not a UK thing except for elderly and is for immigration. Call and ask if free and how quick can they do it. If you're going to have to pay, Boots or a travel clinic might get to you sooner. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
1 minute ago, Wuozopo said:

You will be proving it to another designated doctor in the US (called Civil Surgeon) who may require you to do another full medical. That could easily cost you four times what the Tetanus shot cost at Knightsbridge. USCIS will not accept something from your doctor, thus the need for a Civil Surgeon to sign off on an official form. 

You can try to reach Knifhtsbridge early Monday and ask that they hold your medical report until your doctor can fax over proof of shot so your immunization record will be complete and signed off on an official immigration form. Your GP may not give the flu shot free because it's probably not a UK thing except for elderly and is for immigration. Call and ask if free and how quick can they do it. If you're going to have to pay, Boots or a travel clinic might get to you sooner. 

I've had my flu shot - as stated already, at Boots, 2 months ago.

I'm entitled to a Tetanus shot on the NHS as it is already just over 10 years out of date. I did not have my booster at age 14.

Knightsbridge provided me with a letter to take to my GP regarding this matter stating that I require a tetanus vaccine for immigration. The nurse at Knightsbridge crossed out the section at the bottom of the letter requesting my GP surgery to fax proof to Knightsbridge. She advised that is no longer necessary. The nurse at Knightsbridge advised that what I need for AOS is signed proof of my up to date Tetanus vaccine from my GP surgery. She advised it was optional to have the vaccine at Knightsbridge or at my own GP.

--- Beneficiary---

NOA1: 24 May 2017

No RFEs
NOA2: 09 September 2017
K1 received : 23 March 2018 :D

Next Step: Flight booked for 15 April 2018 - POE Washington Dulles

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
49 minutes ago, LucyDolly said:

I've had my flu shot - as stated already, at Boots, 2 months ago.

I'm sorry, I meant Tetanus then got flu in my head.  :huh: Maybe I have the flu.

1 hour ago, LucyDolly said:

She advised it was optional to have the vaccine at Knightsbridge or at my own GP.

That is correct,  but you will pay a civil surgeon in the US to fill out an I-693 because it won't be on your Knightsbridge form. Here's just one example of constant discussion on the subject in the AOS forum 

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/661754-aos-medical/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.