2,245 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
14 minutes ago, A&H2018 said:

Holiday weekend still got time. That said the actual rule on the employer side is 90days, if you have approval letter + government photo ID. Though in todays climate who knows what the employers own rules will be.

So the approval letter is authorization to work legally, from the employer's perspective? My expedite request isn't even assigned to anyone yet, but if I hopefully get it approved, can I immediately tell my company that I can continue to legally work for them and to put the employment letter on file as proof? I'm sure they'll research on their end too, and so will I, but do you have a link off the top of your head? Thanks! 

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: Last TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - Card is being produced

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-09-23: Mailed I-751 to USCIS

2020-10-03: 18-month extension NOA 

2020-10-15: Biometrics from AOS applied to ROC

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expired 

2021-05-17: Card is being produced

2021-05-24: Green Card received

------------------

2021-09-14: Online application for N-400

2022-05-04: Interview is scheduled

2022-06-13: N-400 Interview

2022-06-13: Immediate oath & naturalization certificate!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
1 hour ago, eckoin said:

So the approval letter is authorization to work legally, from the employer's perspective? My expedite request isn't even assigned to anyone yet, but if I hopefully get it approved, can I immediately tell my company that I can continue to legally work for them and to put the employment letter on file as proof? I'm sure they'll research on their end too, and so will I, but do you have a link off the top of your head? Thanks! 

I was about to scan the letter to my employer when I found this:

"Your EAD card is proof that you are allowed to work in the United States. Show the card to your employer to verify your authorisation to work during the dates on the card. You cannot use this approval notice as proof your employment authorisation." 

My employer now doesn't want to let me start next week. Great. 

Edited by thepanda

Timeline

According to AILA: 

AILA Document

Q: How soon after the case is approved will the EAD card be produced? 

A. The case must sit in a 48-hour hold. Then, the EAD card is produced within 96 hours of receiving the card order.

Q: What happens after the EAD card is produced?

A: We conduct quality control checks, but we do not check the spelling of the name or data on the card. We are looking at whether the photograph on the card is recognizable (i.e., that you can tell who it is).

Q: How long does it take for the EAD card to go out?

A: We have a 96-hour production standard. We put the card in an envelope and it is picked up by USPS. More often than not, it is sent to the address on file and is delivered within 2-3 days of mailing. EADs are only sent via USPS.

"This information is a compilation of notes taken by AILA members and AILA staff and is not an official record of the call, nor has it been endorsed or approved by USCIS."

If the above is correct my card would have just finished being produced today and could go out starting tomorrow. 

Filed: L-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, eckoin said:

Myself and you are Canadian. So theoretically if went to the situation as others had, can use "canadian drivers license as List B" and "i-797 EAD receipt as List C" in the I-9 for up to 90 days till the actual EAD card arrives.

Edited by A&H2018

Timeline
35 minutes ago, thepanda said:

I was about to scan the letter to my employer when I found this:

"Your EAD card is proof that you are allowed to work in the United States. Show the card to your employer to verify your authorisation to work during the dates on the card. You cannot use this approval notice as proof your employment authorisation." 

My employer now doesn't want to let me start next week. Great. 

Again in todays climate is a total hail mary, but if you have drivers license government ID (which your I-797 approval allows you to now), you can combine that and approval letter to match List B and List C for up to 90 days. Again hail mary...truly I imagine your card is rather on the way soon so all cases hopefully this employer understands.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, A&H2018 said:

Again in todays climate is a total hail mary, but if you have drivers license government ID (which your I-797 approval allows you to now), you can combine that and approval letter to match List B and List C for up to 90 days. Again hail mary...truly I imagine your card is rather on the way soon so all cases hopefully this employer understands.

I have a US drivers license for almost 2 years which is no issue but list C does not list i-797 but requires the actual Employment Authorisation Document. ATT00001.png.b63e246bf812ab8131026cfe282b9ed7.png

Timeline

Good point, the receipt and 90day rule is stated for replacements/lost cards...maybe you cannot just use the approval notice. USCIS really needs to make this section more clear truly now. Maybe call the I-9 help center and see what exact rules are.

Edited by A&H2018

Timeline
10 hours ago, A&H2018 said:

Good point, the receipt and 90day rule is stated for replacements/lost cards...maybe you cannot just use the approval notice. USCIS really needs to make this section more clear truly now. Maybe call the I-9 help center and see what exact rules are.

Yeah I will have to see how my expedite goes. My current employer has zero interest in letting me go, so as long as they're legally able to let me work, they'll do it. If it comes to it, I'll call and see if from the employer's perspective, allowing me to work while my card is being processed is in the white area of the law. Thanks! 

------------------

------------------

Timeline
1 hour ago, eckoin said:

Yeah I will have to see how my expedite goes. My current employer has zero interest in letting me go, so as long as they're legally able to let me work, they'll do it. If it comes to it, I'll call and see if from the employer's perspective, allowing me to work while my card is being processed is in the white area of the law. Thanks! 

I just have been informed that I’m not allowed to start. Good luck! 

Timeline
1 hour ago, thepanda said:

That sucks! Hopefully you get the card soon! 

My USCIS status for the expedite request changed to "completed" so I immediately assumed it was just denied, since I got no communication whatsoever. I applied on 8/28, so it's been three days. 

I called the USCIS line, and the agent told me that the mailed me a letter asking for further evidence, and that's what "completed" apparently means. She told me to wait until I receive the letter before faxing any documents, but gave me the fax number anyway. 

I'm still debating what to send them--just keep it short, as in, here's a letter form my employer, my income is crucial to my family's financial situation, thank you for your consideration; or, here's a full disclosure on why this would be a financial blow, here's a copy of every bill, here's my husband's new business license and please see page X for our joint tax return to see that the business just started and how a lot of the money comes from me, etc. 

Anyway, fingers crossed. This place is the only reason I have any hope; everywhere else even mention of an expedite due to financial loss gets ridiculed and scolded. 

------------------

------------------

Timeline
2 hours ago, thepanda said:

By the way, I see on your timeline that your RFE or whatever it's called for the expedite request was mailed three days after you requested to expedite, and you received it a week later.  I'm guessing I'm in a similar situation, since I applied three days ago, the notice was sent in the mail today, and I assume I'll get it in just over a week with the holiday.  

If you were me, would you fax the information today, or wait until I actually get the letter requesting more information?  The agent on the phone gave me the fax number on the notice, and I think may have read out the actual notice to me (which was exceptionally vague - "We received your request.  Here's the criteria.  We need more information.").  I'm leaning toward faxing everything over today and seeing what happens, since I doubt that the notice they mailed will contain any specific requests, and if it does, I can fax that later.

But the agent also told me to wait until I get the notice, so I don't want to make it weird.  Would you have faxed all of your stuff as soon as you knew you had to, or would you have waited until you received the response by mail first, in hindsight?  For example, did the letter you received in the mail contain any new information you had to quote, like the agent's name (ATTN: X) or anything like that?

Edited by eckoin

------------------

------------------

Timeline
22 minutes ago, TNJ17 said:

What’s everyone time between card production notification and actually receiving the card in the mail? 

What I have seen its between 3 to 7 days. Most of them exactly 7 days between "Card in production" and card received. I assume that you have not received your card yet either? Anyone who was approved last week has not received their card yet. You are not alone. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, eckoin said:

By the way, I see on your timeline that your RFE or whatever it's called for the expedite request was mailed three days after you requested to expedite, and you received it a week later.  I'm guessing I'm in a similar situation, since I applied three days ago, the notice was sent in the mail today, and I assume I'll get it in just over a week with the holiday.  

If you were me, would you fax the information today, or wait until I actually get the letter requesting more information?  The agent on the phone gave me the fax number on the notice, and I think may have read out the actual notice to me (which was exceptionally vague - "We received your request.  Here's the criteria.  We need more information.").  I'm leaning toward faxing everything over today and seeing what happens, since I doubt that the notice they mailed will contain any specific requests, and if it does, I can fax that later.

But the agent also told me to wait until I get the notice, so I don't want to make it weird.  Would you have faxed all of your stuff as soon as you knew you had to, or would you have waited until you received the response by mail first, in hindsight?

Since I was in a rush I was also thinking of sending the evidence on August 13th without the letter but when I checked the mail later that afternoon it was in the mail. I didn't feel at ease sending it without evidence because the letter states that a copy of the letter has to be included with the evidence. I signed up for Informed Delivery so I saw the letter coming in on Friday or Monday I think. Another reason why I didn't feel comfortable submitting the evidence without the letter because I knew it was coming. 

55 minutes ago, eckoin said:

That sucks! Hopefully you get the card soon! 

My USCIS status for the expedite request changed to "completed" so I immediately assumed it was just denied, since I got no communication whatsoever. I applied on 8/28, so it's been three days. 

I called the USCIS line, and the agent told me that the mailed me a letter asking for further evidence, and that's what "completed" apparently means. She told me to wait until I receive the letter before faxing any documents, but gave me the fax number anyway. 

I'm still debating what to send them--just keep it short, as in, here's a letter form my employer, my income is crucial to my family's financial situation, thank you for your consideration; or, here's a full disclosure on why this would be a financial blow, here's a copy of every bill, here's my husband's new business license and please see page X for our joint tax return to see that the business just started and how a lot of the money comes from me, etc. 

Anyway, fingers crossed. This place is the only reason I have any hope; everywhere else even mention of an expedite due to financial loss gets ridiculed and scolded. 

I think you evidence looks good. So I wouldn't worry too much if I were you, now that I have been through the first stage. It took them 8 days to approve my case, so try to not worry too much the first 1.5 weeks. 

Timeline
35 minutes ago, thepanda said:

Since I was in a rush I was also thinking of sending the evidence on August 13th without the letter but when I checked the mail later that afternoon it was in the mail. I didn't feel at ease sending it without evidence because the letter states that a copy of the letter has to be included with the evidence. I signed up for Informed Delivery so I saw the letter coming in on Friday or Monday I think. Another reason why I didn't feel comfortable submitting the evidence without the letter because I knew it was coming. 

I think you evidence looks good. So I wouldn't worry too much if I were you, now that I have been through the first stage. It took them 8 days to approve my case, so try to not worry too much the first 1.5 weeks. 

Yeah you're right, I'll just wait.  Thanks!  Did you just submit an employment offer letter and a letter from yourself, or all the secondary stuff like bills, etc.?

------------------

------------------

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.