2,245 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
4 hours ago, strangefella said:

So I contacted the future boss in research organization (in the school) which is hiring me, and the forwarded me to the HR. Now HR told that they as an organization cannot offer a letter mentioning financial loss to them as they would not truthfully experience a financial loss with the delay of your hiring.  But the boss might be able to write up something separately. Does that make a difference ? I think the boss is a bit nervous about this. Darn, this has put me in a tricky situation. 

I wasn’t able to get a letter from my company either. Neither from my boss nor HR. I submitted my evidence without the letter. You should argue how rare this opportunity is. 

I also don’t agree with a statement above that a congressman or senator wouldn’t help. I contacted mine and I do believe it helped. I also disagree that you only get an approval if a couple has been struggling because only of the partner hasn’t been working for months. I was approved 8 business days. 

Don’t get discouraged. I think you have good chances because you are in the field of research. 

9 hours ago, thepanda said:

I wasn’t able to get a letter from my company either. Neither from my boss nor HR. I submitted my evidence without the letter. You should argue how rare this opportunity is. 

I also don’t agree with a statement above that a congressman or senator wouldn’t help. I contacted mine and I do believe it helped. I also disagree that you only get an approval if a couple has been struggling because only of the partner hasn’t been working for months. I was approved 8 business days. 

Don’t get discouraged. I think you have good chances because you are in the field of research. 

Wow, 8 days was fast.  If I expedite a request and it gets turned down, then will the processing  get delayed further ?  I was discussing it with someone from my lab and that is what I was told. 
Would you mind sharing a template of the letter you sent USCIS ? 

Adjusting from F1 to GC as immediate relative of USC

Nov 15, 2017 Married to USC

July 1st, 2018 - AOS package sent  (I-485, I-130, I-130A, I-864, I-131, I-765 )

July 3rd, 2018 - AOS package delivered at Chicago Lockbox

July 10th, 2018 - Received NOAs via e-notification

July 15th, 2018 - USCIS cashed check

July 14th, 2018 - Received Biometrics appointment

July 25th: RFIE due to incorrect version of I-864

July 31st, 2018 - Biometrics done in Silver Spring, MD

Aud 7th: RFI due to incorrect form I-864

Aug 9th, 2018 - Updated I-864 with supporting documents received

Aug 20th, 2018 - Status Update Online: Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview

Sep 4th, 2018 - Requested USCIS to expedite EAD under "severe financial loss" 

Sep 6th, 2018 - Received email from USCIS requesting  documents to  support expeditious handling of EAD 

Sep 7th, 2018 - Documents supporting EAD expedite faxed to USCIS

Sep 18th, 2018 - Told over phone by customer service rep that EAD expedite request was rejected

Sep 20th, 2018 - Received information that congressman's office filed for EAD expedite on Sep 17th

Sep 24th, 2018 - Received information that senator's office filed for EAD expedite (don't know exact date)

Sep 29th, 2018 - Received EAD in my mailbox. Yayyy!

Dec 15th, 2018 - Got a letter saying our interview is scheduled on Jan 14th!

Aug 1st, 2019 - EAD renewal package sent

Sep 20th 2019 - Renewed EAD delivered

Nov 30th 2020 - Green Card (10 year) delivered in mailbox!

Timeline
1 hour ago, strangefella said:

Wow, 8 days was fast.  If I expedite a request and it gets turned down, then will the processing  get delayed further ?  I was discussing it with someone from my lab and that is what I was told. 
Would you mind sharing a template of the letter you sent USCIS ? 

8 days from submission to approval. In total it took me 19 days. I told my company it would take 3 weeks. I was very lucky that it worked out this way. 

I'll DM you. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Georgia
Timeline

What's the timeline between card being produced and card mailed? I feel like it's taking forever even though they approved me only on Friday😁

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Throwing my hat into the ring.  I called the USCIS line and asked the agent to submit a request to expedite my EAD application.  The request number was updated on my account as soon as I hung up.

I was told to hold off on any evidence I have until I get contacted asking for it.  I have a letter from my current employer stating that they want to hire me permanently but won't be able to continue with my employment without authorization.

Still working on my own letter.  Not sure whether to take the angle of "we really need the money" and send various bills, or just keep it matter of fact, as in, I have a job and we need this job and the health insurance that comes with it.

2015-11-23: Last TN received at CBP

2017-06-12: Married

2018-06-25: Mailed I-485, I-864, I-130/I-130A, and I-765 to USCIS

2018-07-24: Biometrics appointment

2018-08-28: Expedite request submitted for EAD via USCIS support line

2018-09-21: EAD and SSN received in the mail

2018-10-31: Interview is scheduled

2018-11-21: Last TN expired

2018-12-11: AOS Interview - Card is being produced

2018-12-18: Green Card received

------------------

2020-09-23: Mailed I-751 to USCIS

2020-10-03: 18-month extension NOA 

2020-10-15: Biometrics from AOS applied to ROC

2020-12-11: Conditional green card expired 

2021-05-17: Card is being produced

2021-05-24: Green Card received

------------------

2021-09-14: Online application for N-400

2022-05-04: Interview is scheduled

2022-06-13: N-400 Interview

2022-06-13: Immediate oath & naturalization certificate!

Filed: L-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
44 minutes ago, eckoin said:

Throwing my hat into the ring.  I called the USCIS line and asked the agent to submit a request to expedite my EAD application.  The request number was updated on my account as soon as I hung up.

I was told to hold off on any evidence I have until I get contacted asking for it.  I have a letter from my current employer stating that they want to hire me permanently but won't be able to continue with my employment without authorization.

Still working on my own letter.  Not sure whether to take the angle of "we really need the money" and send various bills, or just keep it matter of fact, as in, I have a job and we need this job and the health insurance that comes with it.

Just keep it to true to your sitation, do you really need the money? Is it a large financial loss (salary) you will be taking? Also include your taxes and w2's.

As well as a TN already your congressman should be willing to help most are usually since its an easier case for them to win as in you already work at said firm.

Timeline
46 minutes ago, A&H2018 said:

Just keep it to true to your sitation, do you really need the money? Is it a large financial loss (salary) you will be taking? Also include your taxes and w2's.

As well as a TN already your congressman should be willing to help most are usually since its an easier case for them to win as in you already work at said firm.

Good call, thanks!  I'll send the W-2s and the tax returns.  It is a large financial loss (my USC spouse started a new business, so my salary is the main thing keeping us comfortable, and pays a good portion of the bills).  At the same time, I don't want to write a four-page essay about all the hardships we'll experience if it isn't necessary--I feel like it might be brought up on our I-864 discussion.  We didn't seek a sponsor, since my salary is plenty, but I'm wary of bringing extra attention to how integral it is to our living arrangement, at least at this time.

I figured I'll do this myself, and if I don't hear anything within the next week, I'll escalate through our congressman.  I'm not desperate yet, since I still have 2.5 months to figure this out, but if by next Thursday there's no movement, I'll definitely go through a government rep. 

------------------

------------------

Timeline
5 hours ago, gvantsa said:

What's the timeline between card being produced and card mailed? I feel like it's taking forever even though they approved me only on Friday😁

Same here and I got approved on Wednesday. I am anxious but I'll wait until Saturday to freak out. 🙂 I am expecting my status to change to card mailed tomorrow or Thursday. 

Edited by thepanda

Filed: L-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just check informed delivery, packages section. It usually updates before the USCIS sites. Also remember we are near a holiday weekend, if you got the approval letter already the card shold be 3-5 days after that.

Edited by A&H2018

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Georgia
Timeline
19 minutes ago, A&H2018 said:

Just check informed delivery, packages section. It usually updates before the USCIS sites. Also remember we are near a holiday weekend, if you got the approval letter already the card shold be 3-5 days after that.

Thsnk you for your reply, yes i got 2 noas this morning, saying both employment and advance parol has been approved. It was dated on 23rd friday when i was approved, hopefully it will come somewhere this week. Thank you agaain

Timeline
28 minutes ago, A&H2018 said:

I received my approval letters on Saturday. So I should be receiving the card this week. Yay. Thank you! 

Hi guys,

Looking to expedite my EAD. My question is, when expediting an EAD does the job offer have to be "significant". My friend manages a valet parking company and he told me that he can get me a job doing valet(obviously this would be temporary). I explained my situation and he said that he would talk to the HR department at work in regards to a job offer/employment letter. If they can furnish this letter , would USCIS look down upon the job offer because its for a valet?

Also how does one go about requesting and EAD expedite? What all evidence would be needed sorry if i missed it during this 30 page thread. If nobody wants to post here can you please PM me thanks.

Timeline
10 hours ago, killadocg23 said:

Hi guys,

Looking to expedite my EAD. My question is, when expediting an EAD does the job offer have to be "significant". My friend manages a valet parking company and he told me that he can get me a job doing valet(obviously this would be temporary). I explained my situation and he said that he would talk to the HR department at work in regards to a job offer/employment letter. If they can furnish this letter , would USCIS look down upon the job offer because its for a valet?

Also how does one go about requesting and EAD expedite? What all evidence would be needed sorry if i missed it during this 30 page thread. If nobody wants to post here can you please PM me thanks.

I doubt that they care too much about the kind of job, but out of curiosity, why not apply to something you would like to do (since you say this would be obviously temporary), and use that job offer to expedite?  

------------------

------------------

4 hours ago, eckoin said:

I doubt that they care too much about the kind of job, but out of curiosity, why not apply to something you would like to do (since you say this would be obviously temporary), and use that job offer to expedite?  

Because he knows the hr people and they can offer me a job. I dont know of any other place that will give a job offer when you tell them you need it for a work permit.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, killadocg23 said:

Because he knows the hr people and they can offer me a job. I dont know of any other place that will give a job offer when you tell them you need it for a work permit.

I gotcha - if it helps, I got my current job by pretty much doing that.  When I interviewed, I mentioned that if I were successful, then I would need to submit the offer letter to USCIS and get a permit to get work authorization (this was for a TN, which is different but from my perspective, getting EAD while applying for a GC is more "definite" than getting a TN for my field of work).  They said no problem - from the perspective of my employer, they don't have anything to lose; worst case, I can't work for them, which is the same as me saying, "thanks but no thanks".  

I'd definitely try if I were you!  But overall, I highly doubt that they will discriminate based on the type of job offer when your reason is "severe financial loss to person".  You just have to be able to convince them that it is indeed severe financial loss to you, and from what I read here, it helps if this is a 'unique opportunity that would be detrimental for your career to pass up', but if it's financial hardship right now, a job's a job.

------------------

------------------

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.