2,245 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 6/18/2020 at 2:50 PM, irishoxford said:

Nope!  Placed an SR with Tier-2.  Have contacted Senator too.  Made sure to refer to other stuck cases at NBC.

Has everyone been successful on getting a senator or congressman/woman involved in expediting EAD based on an expiring job offer? I emailed a senator in my district and they said a pending/expiring job offer that can solve a severe financial loss isn't a valid reason for an expedite request.

I am not sure why they're saying different things while many people here have no problem in expediting based on a pending job offer.

I can call USCIS directly to request on my own but I read somewhere it could be faster and more effective if I expedite through senator. Correct me if I am wrong -

Edited by Gak

4 hours ago, Gak said:

Has everyone been successful on getting a senator or congressman/woman involved in expediting EAD based on an expiring job offer? I emailed a senator in my district and they said a pending/expiring job offer that can solve a severe financial loss isn't a valid reason for an expedite request.

I am not sure why they're saying different things while many people here have no problem in expediting based on a pending job offer.

I can call USCIS directly to request on my own but I read somewhere it could be faster and more effective if I expedite through senator. Correct me if I am wrong -

Contact your House Rep..if the Senator's office says they can't help. My case got expedite with the help of the Senator in my district so I'm guessing not all offices really know how it works.

All the best.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi all, I am an April filer, and still haven't completed biometrics but wanted to give an update. I got a job offer last month, and I tried to expedite on the phone under the severe financial loss category, but it got denied the next day saying that I cannot expedite due to missing biometrics. Thankfully my company extended my offer until the end of July, so I contacted our congressman to help me (they asked me to send supporting documents etc) and yesterday my case changed to Expedite Request Approved. I was wondering if someone has had similar situation and what should I expect next?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Norway
Timeline
9 minutes ago, SJ2020 said:

Hi all, I am an April filer, and still haven't completed biometrics but wanted to give an update. I got a job offer last month, and I tried to expedite on the phone under the severe financial loss category, but it got denied the next day saying that I cannot expedite due to missing biometrics. Thankfully my company extended my offer until the end of July, so I contacted our congressman to help me (they asked me to send supporting documents etc) and yesterday my case changed to Expedite Request Approved. I was wondering if someone has had similar situation and what should I expect next?

Exciting! Thanks for the update! I guess the next step would be that the status changes to "card being produced" or something like that. 

But does anyone know about any people who have actually received the EAD card these last few months even though they haven't completed biometrics? I have seen a few cases where the EAD has been approved (both expedite and regular processing), but then it has been stuck, and the card has not been produced yet. 

Keep us updated! If you actually get your card, this might be something others would like to try as well.

Concurrent I-485/I-130/I-765/I-131 Filing (married to USC spouse):

2/23/2020: Sent in application via FedEx (following rules before new Public Charge rule) 

2/25/2020: Arrived in Chicago, IL
3/13/2020: Packaged received in return and rejected due to "outdated forms"
3/24/2020: Refiled application with new forms including I-944
3/25/2020: Arrived in Chicago, IL (received by Harper)

4/13/2020: Received 4 late-night texts with case numbers
4/14/2020: Application fee withdrawn from my bank account

4/17/2020: Received hard copies of Receipt NOAs (I-797Cs)
4/17/2020: Requested EAD expedite
4/20/2020: EAD expedite request denied: Case in "in suspense or on hold until we receive your biometrics" +  did not provide evidence of "extreme emergent need"
8/1/2020: Received biometrics appointment notice (for I-485 and I-765)
8/11/2020: Biometrics appointment at the ASC in Sacramento, CA

8/12/2020: Online case status for I-485 and I-765 updated to "fingerprints related to ... have been applied to your case"

8/17/2020: Online case status for I-131 updated to "fingerprints related to ... have been applied to your case"

8/18/2020: Online case status for I-485 updated to "we are ready to schedule your ... for an interview"

9/4/2020: Online case status for I-765 updated to "New card is being produced"

9/8/2020: Online case status for I-765 updated to "Case was approved"

9/8/2020: Online case status for I-131 updated to "Case was approved"
9/10/2020: Online case status for I-765 updated to "Card was mailed to me"

9/12/2020: Received I-797 Notice of Action (approval notice) for I-765 and I-131
9/14/2020: Received my combo EAD card (work authorization and advanced parole)
8/13/2021: Filed renewal application for both I-131 and I-765
11/9/2021: Filed expedite request for both I-131 due to sick father in Norway
12/15/2021: Received email from USCIS for supportive documents (after multiple calls)
12/17/2021: Sent in supportive documents (letter from doctor, hospital appointment notices ++)
12/22/2021: Status changed to "card being produced" (letter on MyUSCIS.com confirms this will be a combo card)

1 hour ago, David_Norway said:

Exciting! Thanks for the update! I guess the next step would be that the status changes to "card being produced" or something like that. 

But does anyone know about any people who have actually received the EAD card these last few months even though they haven't completed biometrics? I have seen a few cases where the EAD has been approved (both expedite and regular processing), but then it has been stuck, and the card has not been produced yet. 

Keep us updated! If you actually get your card, this might be something others would like to try as well.

I've talked to USCIS directly, USCIS through the Ombudsman, USCIS through my Senator, and now USCIS through a lawyer, and they are standing resolute in saying that they won't produce the card (even if the expedite---and case---is approved) without biometrics.  This seems to be only for I-485-associated EADs through the NBC.

So, I'm personally sitting here with an approval notice, and showing up on E-Verify as verified to work, and I can further tell what the numbers on my EAD will be, but I don't have the actual card.  Whether or not my employer will be fine with that come when I revalidate my I-9 later this month remains to be seen, but USCIS probably should be making it a directive to employers that the Approval Notice can temporarily stand in lieu of the card for certain approval dates until they clear the biometrics backlog.    

A pretty simple solution really.   

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Norway
Timeline
18 minutes ago, irishoxford said:

I've talked to USCIS directly, USCIS through the Ombudsman, USCIS through my Senator, and now USCIS through a lawyer, and they are standing resolute in saying that they won't produce the card (even if the expedite---and case---is approved) without biometrics.  This seems to be only for I-485-associated EADs through the NBC.

So, I'm personally sitting here with an approval notice, and showing up on E-Verify as verified to work, and I can further tell what the numbers on my EAD will be, but I don't have the actual card.  Whether or not my employer will be fine with that come when I revalidate my I-9 later this month remains to be seen, but USCIS probably should be making it a directive to employers that the Approval Notice can temporarily stand in lieu of the card for certain approval dates until they clear the biometrics backlog.    

Wow, seems like you have been fighting hard for a common sense solution. Sorry that you have to go through all of this! 

Given that you work a university that probably wants to follow the rules, what are your options if you don't receive your EAD card before your biometrics, and assuming that biometrics appointments for March filers like us is still a month+ away? What does your lawyer say about working without the physical EAD card in hand (but verified to work on E-verify)?

Concurrent I-485/I-130/I-765/I-131 Filing (married to USC spouse):

2/23/2020: Sent in application via FedEx (following rules before new Public Charge rule) 

2/25/2020: Arrived in Chicago, IL
3/13/2020: Packaged received in return and rejected due to "outdated forms"
3/24/2020: Refiled application with new forms including I-944
3/25/2020: Arrived in Chicago, IL (received by Harper)

4/13/2020: Received 4 late-night texts with case numbers
4/14/2020: Application fee withdrawn from my bank account

4/17/2020: Received hard copies of Receipt NOAs (I-797Cs)
4/17/2020: Requested EAD expedite
4/20/2020: EAD expedite request denied: Case in "in suspense or on hold until we receive your biometrics" +  did not provide evidence of "extreme emergent need"
8/1/2020: Received biometrics appointment notice (for I-485 and I-765)
8/11/2020: Biometrics appointment at the ASC in Sacramento, CA

8/12/2020: Online case status for I-485 and I-765 updated to "fingerprints related to ... have been applied to your case"

8/17/2020: Online case status for I-131 updated to "fingerprints related to ... have been applied to your case"

8/18/2020: Online case status for I-485 updated to "we are ready to schedule your ... for an interview"

9/4/2020: Online case status for I-765 updated to "New card is being produced"

9/8/2020: Online case status for I-765 updated to "Case was approved"

9/8/2020: Online case status for I-131 updated to "Case was approved"
9/10/2020: Online case status for I-765 updated to "Card was mailed to me"

9/12/2020: Received I-797 Notice of Action (approval notice) for I-765 and I-131
9/14/2020: Received my combo EAD card (work authorization and advanced parole)
8/13/2021: Filed renewal application for both I-131 and I-765
11/9/2021: Filed expedite request for both I-131 due to sick father in Norway
12/15/2021: Received email from USCIS for supportive documents (after multiple calls)
12/17/2021: Sent in supportive documents (letter from doctor, hospital appointment notices ++)
12/22/2021: Status changed to "card being produced" (letter on MyUSCIS.com confirms this will be a combo card)

2 hours ago, David_Norway said:

Wow, seems like you have been fighting hard for a common sense solution. Sorry that you have to go through all of this! 

Given that you work a university that probably wants to follow the rules, what are your options if you don't receive your EAD card before your biometrics, and assuming that biometrics appointments for March filers like us is still a month+ away? What does your lawyer say about working without the physical EAD card in hand (but verified to work on E-verify)?

You might want to DM me on that one.

Hello everyone, I applied for an expedite of my EAD over phone, citing Compelling US government interest. 

Timeline:

07/07: Raised a ticket to expedite with person who picked up my phone!

07/07: Got two emails asking for additional evidence to support my case

07/07: Sent additional evidence via xmedius cloud fax

My case status hasn't been updated online. Nothing else from USCIS to confirm they have received my documents. Are they not updating the expedite requests online? Can I call to confirm receipt of documents

(This is based on a marriage to USC based green card pending for 70 days, no biometrics for this application yet, since all ASCs are closed.)

53 minutes ago, shy12 said:

Hello everyone, I applied for an expedite of my EAD over phone, citing Compelling US government interest. 

Timeline:

07/07: Raised a ticket to expedite with person who picked up my phone!

07/07: Got two emails asking for additional evidence to support my case

07/07: Sent additional evidence via xmedius cloud fax

My case status hasn't been updated online. Nothing else from USCIS to confirm they have received my documents. Are they not updating the expedite requests online? Can I call to confirm receipt of documents

(This is based on a marriage to USC based green card pending for 70 days, no biometrics for this application yet, since all ASCs are closed.)

i think the window for them is 15-20 days after receiving the evidence.

duh

23 hours ago, irishoxford said:

Yeah I was hoping for the same thing! It just doesn't make sense for us to keep waiting for the physical card if it's already been approved!!

On 6/22/2020 at 11:28 AM, Gak said:

Senators and Representatives are as bad as being useless in cases dealing with USCIS. USCIS usually does not care as Senators/ Reps have no authority. They are just going to get the same answer

duh

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
3 minutes ago, James120383 said:

Senators and Representatives are as bad as being useless in cases dealing with USCIS. USCIS usually does not care as Senators/ Reps have no authority. They are just going to get the same answer

nor should they have authority other than to be able to get an answer.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.