SAlove18

South African K1 Visa applicants

1,805 posts in this topic

Help! We just received the packet 3 email and it says you need a long form birth certificate, which I just discovered today can take months for South Africa. We only have two months before the four month deadline is over. What do we do? Do we schedule the interview without it? Can we get the deadline extended? I'm panicking today!

8 minutes ago, Michael Lombardi said:

Help! We just received the packet 3 email and it says you need a long form birth certificate, which I just discovered today can take months for South Africa. We only have two months before the four month deadline is over. What do we do? Do we schedule the interview without it? Can we get the deadline extended? I'm panicking today!

I also ran into this problem. The only real option we had was to hire a service to expedite the process. We used passports4u and it took one day after applying at home affairs to have it ready for collection. Definitely recommend if you’re in a time crunch. 

1 minute ago, ashoos said:

I also ran into this problem. The only real option we had was to hire a service to expedite the process. We used passports4u and it took one day after applying at home affairs to have it ready for collection. Definitely recommend if you’re in a time crunch. 

Thanks! We talked with DocAssist today and plan to use them but they said they needed to wait until it was in the system since she applied at home affairs today. One day is so much faster than everything I'm reading here!

Just now, Michael Lombardi said:

Thanks! We talked with DocAssist today and plan to use them but they said they needed to wait until it was in the system since she applied at home affairs today. One day is so much faster than everything I'm reading here!

Yep. It was super quick. I applied at home affairs, contacted passports4u and did the transfer, got an sms at 7am the next day to say that my birth certificate was ready for collection, definitely worth the money we paid to keep on schedule and eliminate any unnecessary stress! 

1 minute ago, ashoos said:

Yep. It was super quick. I applied at home affairs, contacted passports4u and did the transfer, got an sms at 7am the next day to say that my birth certificate was ready for collection, definitely worth the money we paid to keep on schedule and eliminate any unnecessary stress! 

No kidding, considering that some of the comments I've found online today (not referring to the K1 or expedition services) are saying they've been waiting for 1-2 years!

Filed: IR-2 Country: Mozambique
Timeline

FINALLY!  

We have our appointment booked and confirmed for May 30th.  We have our medical Booked and confirmed for May 27th.  Have booked an apartment literally next door to the consulate.

Fingers crossed for a quick return of the passport after interview and a record speed in and out.  

So happy the time has finally come - no one; myself, my wife, my daughter in mozambique - can sleep due to excitement 

Really looking forward to getting to see all my Mozambican family again too! its been years! 

Has anyone taken longer than four months for the interview? We have two months left but don't have the police clearance or birth certificate yet and even with DocAssist, it sounds like it could take too long and I'm really worried. Do they extend the deadlines or is this a serious problem if we can't get it in time?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Michael Lombardi said:

Has anyone taken longer than four months for the interview? We have two months left but don't have the police clearance or birth certificate yet and even with DocAssist, it sounds like it could take too long and I'm really worried. Do they extend the deadlines or is this a serious problem if we can't get it in time?

Make your appointment and go for the interview. Even if you don’t yet have those documents, you can submit them after. Your approval will be pending until you submit it. The PCC does not necessarily take a long time. Mine was max 4 weeks. Ensure that you check in with the police station even if you don’t get an sms saying it has arrived. I got my birth certificate in 8 weeks, without using an external company. Check online, some companies guarantee a 10 day turnaround. 

But don’t lose your chance all together because of outstanding documentation. 

1 minute ago, Tanya007 said:

Make your appointment and go for the interview. Even if you don’t yet have those documents, you can submit them after. Your approval will be pending until you submit it. The PCC does not necessarily take a long time. Mine was max 4 weeks. Ensure that you check in with the police station even if you don’t get an sms saying it has arrived. I got my birth certificate in 8 weeks, without using an external company. Check online, some companies guarantee a 10 day turnaround. 

But don’t lose your chance all together because of outstanding documentation.  

Thanks!

Hi Guys, 

My interview is on Thursday and I am just going through all documents one last time. Do we need to have NOA1 and 2 for the interview? 

Timeline
3 hours ago, ashoos said:

Hi Guys, 

My interview is on Thursday and I am just going through all documents one last time. Do we need to have NOA1 and 2 for the interview? 

They didn’t ask for it at mine, but take it anyway if you have it. Rather too much than not enough 

23 hours ago, MozambiqueSoninha said:

FINALLY!  

We have our appointment booked and confirmed for May 30th.  We have our medical Booked and confirmed for May 27th.  Have booked an apartment literally next door to the consulate.

Fingers crossed for a quick return of the passport after interview and a record speed in and out.  

So happy the time has finally come - no one; myself, my wife, my daughter in mozambique - can sleep due to excitement 

Really looking forward to getting to see all my Mozambican family again too! its been years! 

I am so so happy for you,it’s been a long journey indeed....bless up all will go well....I’m picking up my son this week and flying back memorial weekend!!!its great to be rejoined with our children

So the embassy told us that it's okay if we haven't been able to get all of the documents by the interview, but now there are no interviews before July 14th, which is our NOA2 expiration date. I've heard that for most embassies this date isn't a problem to extend, does anyone know about if this is true for Johannesburg? I'm freaking out here! Thanks!

Timeline
3 hours ago, Michael Lombardi said:

So the embassy told us that it's okay if we haven't been able to get all of the documents by the interview, but now there are no interviews before July 14th, which is our NOA2 expiration date. I've heard that for most embassies this date isn't a problem to extend, does anyone know about if this is true for Johannesburg? I'm freaking out here! Thanks!

We extended ours with no issues. The consulate is very understanding.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.