SAlove18

South African K1 Visa applicants

1,805 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Africa
Timeline

I have a question for those who have recently received their police clearance back in South Africa.  How long did it take for you to receive it and did you have any issues?  I have been looking into using a service for this, but if everyone here got theirs back quickly without issue, it might be a waste of money.  

We just got our case number from the NVC today, so we are excited about the next steps.  

04/25/18  - I-129F sent Overnight Priority USPS to PO Box in Dallas

04/28/18  - USCIS signed for I-129F

05/01/18  -  Electronic NOA1

05/05/18  -  NOA1 hard copy

10/17/18  -  NOA2 

10/22/18  -  NOA2 received

11/14/18  -  NVC received case

11/23/18  -  NVC issued case number

12/11/18  -  NVC in transit

12/27/18  - P3 Received

03/28/19  -  Interview

04/11/19  -  Entry to US

07/07/19  -  Wedding

08/09/19  -  Filed AOS/EAD/AP

08/12/19  -  NOA1

09/04/19  -  Biometric Appointment

10/10/19  -  Notice of Ready For Interview  

12/06/19  -  AP/EAD Approved

12/16/19  -  AP/EAD Card Received

02/27/20  -  AOS Interview Scheduled Text

02/27/20  -  AOS Interview NOA

04/16/20  -  AOS Interview (E-notice of  interview cancellation received 03/31/20)

2 hours ago, pretendthisisfun said:

I have a question for those who have recently received their police clearance back in South Africa.  How long did it take for you to receive it and did you have any issues?  I have been looking into using a service for this, but if everyone here got theirs back quickly without issue, it might be a waste of money.  

We just got our case number from the NVC today, so we are excited about the next steps.  

It took FOREVER for my husband to receive his Police Clearance. This was several years ago, but we waited months and months and then there was an issue with delivery. The company claimed that they had picked it up but they never did, and then they charged our credit card. It was a mess.

I know several people that used bunnyhop.co.za and docassist.co.za

and were very happy with the service.

Timeline
41 minutes ago, Confusedtinybird said:

It took FOREVER for my husband to receive his Police Clearance. This was several years ago, but we waited months and months and then there was an issue with delivery. The company claimed that they had picked it up but they never did, and then they charged our credit card. It was a mess.

I know several people that used bunnyhop.co.za and docassist.co.za

and were very happy with the service.

Thank you for sharing!  We used Immigration Boutique for several documents related to her British Passport and they offer the service, too.  I'm really happy with what they've done so far and don't really mind the extra money.  I'm curious about everyone's experiences with this.  She is concerned about whether or not the SAPS will give her a hard time when she wants to take the fingerprints with her to send to the service rather than having the police send it on to Pretoria.

04/25/18  - I-129F sent Overnight Priority USPS to PO Box in Dallas

04/28/18  - USCIS signed for I-129F

05/01/18  -  Electronic NOA1

05/05/18  -  NOA1 hard copy

10/17/18  -  NOA2 

10/22/18  -  NOA2 received

11/14/18  -  NVC received case

11/23/18  -  NVC issued case number

12/11/18  -  NVC in transit

12/27/18  - P3 Received

03/28/19  -  Interview

04/11/19  -  Entry to US

07/07/19  -  Wedding

08/09/19  -  Filed AOS/EAD/AP

08/12/19  -  NOA1

09/04/19  -  Biometric Appointment

10/10/19  -  Notice of Ready For Interview  

12/06/19  -  AP/EAD Approved

12/16/19  -  AP/EAD Card Received

02/27/20  -  AOS Interview Scheduled Text

02/27/20  -  AOS Interview NOA

04/16/20  -  AOS Interview (E-notice of  interview cancellation received 03/31/20)

13 minutes ago, pretendthisisfun said:

Thank you for sharing!  We used Immigration Boutique for several documents related to her British Passport and they offer the service, too.  I'm really happy with what they've done so far and don't really mind the extra money.  I'm curious about everyone's experiences with this.  She is concerned about whether or not the SAPS will give her a hard time when she wants to take the fingerprints with her to send to the service rather than having the police send it on to Pretoria.

I would definitely use a company to help with the PCC. They can act as the middle man and can get it much faster then you will be able to on your own. One less thing to worry about!

19 hours ago, Mozam said:

Welcome to a new week, everyone! Hoping we all see some more progress. 

Today we finally received our Packet 3 info after emailing them directly. They sent it to us within the hour. So, for anyone reading this in the future if you don't receive your packet within a few days and your case is marked "Ready" feel free to shoot them an email. 

I do have a question. I didn't see any information about send in a copy of the passport or anything. I thought I read something here that stated something about how we need to email them a copy of the passport info page or something. Am I making this up? 

No u r not making it up we emailed copy of passport and DS160 confirmation pages....its in the instructions in our 3...just re-read it maybe u just missed it...it request those items and also say u must bring the originals to the interview with u

Luflolady

Jan 26th: Mailed I-129F

Jan 29th NOA1

Feb 2nd: Check Cashed

Feb 9th: rcvd hard copy of NOA1

Aug. 28th Notified of RFE being mailed

Sept. 1st received hard copy of RFE in the mail

Sept. 4th mailed response to RFE

Sept. 10th received txt that my response to RFE was received

Oct. 10th Received txt that we were approved (NOA2) 30days after RFE response

Oct. 13th received hard copy of NOA2

Oct. 31st case arrived at NVC

Nov 2nd received case number

Nov. 19th Case is "ready" to schedule an interview

Feb. 14th Interview (2019) APPROVED!!!!!!

AOS

July 24th: mailed AOS pkt

July 31st: received txt msg of receipt numbers for all documents

Aug 5th received NOA hard copies dated July 31st

Aug. 9th received Biometrics letter in the mail

Aug. 19th Biometrics appt.

Sept. 20th notified of RFE via website 

Sept. 25th Received hard copy of RFE (copy of BC)

Sept. 27th Sent response to RFE

Sept. 30th Response was delivered

Oct. 2nd... Response to evidence received updated on website

Feb 12, 2020 case is ready to schedule for interview

Feb 12, 2020 New card is being produced (EAD)
Feb 13, 2020 Notification that EAD  and AP was approved

Feb 18,2020 received hard copies of AP and EAD approval

Feb 18,2020 notification AOS interview scheduled and EAD mailed

Feb 20, 2020 received EAD card

Feb 24, 2020 received interview letter (March24th)

Aug 4, 2020 received notification of new interview date(rescheduled because of pandemic)

Sept. 14th new AOS interview
Oct. 30th AOS approval

Nov. 9th New card is being produced

4 hours ago, pretendthisisfun said:

Congrats on ur case number and we had no issue getting the police clearance

Luflolady

Jan 26th: Mailed I-129F

Jan 29th NOA1

Feb 2nd: Check Cashed

Feb 9th: rcvd hard copy of NOA1

Aug. 28th Notified of RFE being mailed

Sept. 1st received hard copy of RFE in the mail

Sept. 4th mailed response to RFE

Sept. 10th received txt that my response to RFE was received

Oct. 10th Received txt that we were approved (NOA2) 30days after RFE response

Oct. 13th received hard copy of NOA2

Oct. 31st case arrived at NVC

Nov 2nd received case number

Nov. 19th Case is "ready" to schedule an interview

Feb. 14th Interview (2019) APPROVED!!!!!!

AOS

July 24th: mailed AOS pkt

July 31st: received txt msg of receipt numbers for all documents

Aug 5th received NOA hard copies dated July 31st

Aug. 9th received Biometrics letter in the mail

Aug. 19th Biometrics appt.

Sept. 20th notified of RFE via website 

Sept. 25th Received hard copy of RFE (copy of BC)

Sept. 27th Sent response to RFE

Sept. 30th Response was delivered

Oct. 2nd... Response to evidence received updated on website

Feb 12, 2020 case is ready to schedule for interview

Feb 12, 2020 New card is being produced (EAD)
Feb 13, 2020 Notification that EAD  and AP was approved

Feb 18,2020 received hard copies of AP and EAD approval

Feb 18,2020 notification AOS interview scheduled and EAD mailed

Feb 20, 2020 received EAD card

Feb 24, 2020 received interview letter (March24th)

Aug 4, 2020 received notification of new interview date(rescheduled because of pandemic)

Sept. 14th new AOS interview
Oct. 30th AOS approval

Nov. 9th New card is being produced

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mozambique
Timeline
2 hours ago, LuFlolady said:

No u r not making it up we emailed copy of passport and DS160 confirmation pages....its in the instructions in our 3...just re-read it maybe u just missed it...it request those items and also say u must bring the originals to the interview with u

My P-3 letter doesn't say that. However, my P-3 letter also instructs me to complete the DS260 which isn't correct information. I emailed them back to ask them to clarify (even though I know we don't need to complete the DS260) and I got a response that said "Our records indicate that packet 3 was sent to you.  Please follow the instructions." So, I suppose I need to call them. 

What email did you send this info to? I've been emailing with this email: JohannesburgIV@state.gov , but I know there is another email address I was using to correspond with them earlier. 

I-129F Sent: April 12, 2018

I-129F Received: April 13, 2018 (confirmation by email)

I-129F NOA1: April 18, 2018

I-129F NOA2: October 5, 2018 (received by mail on October 12, 2018)

NVC Received: November 1, 2018

NVC Case Number Assigned: November 2, 2018

Left NVC: November 13, 2018

Arrived at Embassy: November 19, 2018

Packet 3: November 27, 2018

Packet 4: December 14, 2018

Interview: February 7, 2019

Timeline

Also I received two emails from them yesterday one said, "Interviews:  Services are by appointment only Thursday from 8AM to 4PM." The other email said, "Interviews:  Services are by appointment only Tuesday and Thursday from 1pm." Curious to see the appointment times that will be available....if they ever open up. 

Timeline

So follow-up to my adventure in trying to get the correct P-3 Packet. I called and quoted her the line that says the DS-160 is "including applicants applying for K visas". She just kept repeated a script that said something to the tune of we are an outside entity if the applicant has received direct communication for the consulate he needs to follow and complete the given information. If you have any doubt you can write your concern again through email and they will assist you. 

We've already email them. They gave us the line that we have already received Packet 3. So, then I asked her if there was a direct number to call the embassy and she said they do not have the information to supply. All they can do it direct you to links where information might be available and help schedule and pay interview fees. 

So....suggestions? I know what I need to do in theory. However, I don't want something to be wrong in their system. I know and have complete the DS160. I just want the correct P3 packet and to be assured that they haven't made a mistake. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Mozam said:

So follow-up to my adventure in trying to get the correct P-3 Packet. I called and quoted her the line that says the DS-160 is "including applicants applying for K visas". She just kept repeated a script that said something to the tune of we are an outside entity if the applicant has received direct communication for the consulate he needs to follow and complete the given information. If you have any doubt you can write your concern again through email and they will assist you. 

We've already email them. They gave us the line that we have already received Packet 3. So, then I asked her if there was a direct number to call the embassy and she said they do not have the information to supply. All they can do it direct you to links where information might be available and help schedule and pay interview fees. 

So....suggestions? I know what I need to do in theory. However, I don't want something to be wrong in their system. I know and have complete the DS160. I just want the correct P3 packet and to be assured that they haven't made a mistake. 

Oh my goodness. Rolling my eyes right now. Just received an email with the correct K1 instructions a minute after posting this rant. Guessing me calling them did do some good even if the lady on the phone wasn't of much assistance. 

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Mozam said:

Oh my goodness. Rolling my eyes right now. Just received an email with the correct K1 instructions a minute after posting this rant. Guessing me calling them did do some good even if the lady on the phone wasn't of much assistance. 

What a journey and path this seems like it's going to be... 😧 YIKES! 

Timeline

I'm hoping our file gets shipped in today or tomorrow's batch. We received our case number last week, I've already filled in the DS160 , so now it will be good news if my case arrives by next week and we can get the ship moving. 

@Mozam your information is extremely helpful, and I realize that there will be a lot of direct emailing and calling to do when the file arrives at the consulate because it seems communication from the embassy is sketchy. . 

I look forward to hearing about what you find out about the interview and medical appointment schedules , AND I AM HOPING you will get to get it all done in December. 🌼

Timeline
33 minutes ago, madameMaison said:

What a journey and path this seems like it's going to be... 😧 YIKES! 

It's honesty not too bad. We've made it this far so this stuff isn't much. I much prefer being able to solve a problem rather than hearing silence for 6-7 months. 

Also, not everyone will have to call. I think I just happened upon someone not paying attention when attaching a file to an email. 

Filed: IR-2 Country: Mozambique
Timeline
8 hours ago, madameMaison said:

Does the SA consulate allow us to have our American fiancé at the interview with us on the day?

They do allow you to have them there.   They may be asked to wait outside or they may be allowed in.   That said - I have read some posts recently warning against it for K1, as they may invite them in and also ask to interview them to corroborate answers.  As long as you are both ready for that potential - then I would say it is fine.   

Also a thing I keep seeing with K1 interviews is to MAKE SURE there are no photos, mentions or hints that any type of engagement ceremony happened - they often see this as a wedding, even if it wasnt, and causes cases to be rejected and told to file for CR1.  I know in Mozambique the "anelamento" or engagement is often done and no wedding takes place due to funds - so they DO NOT like to hear about it.  Not sure if the culture in SA is similar.  

As my lawyer told me before our AOS interview -  They HAVE to ask you certain questions - give the most basic answer possible, if they need more they will ask, but if you give them too much which leads to a string of doubt, it is their job to pull on it and see where it goes - I think this is where people go bad on K1 interview - they get asked about how they met ect - and go into too many details like engagement celebrations and going away celebrations in anticipation of marriage.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.