IssaCaptureFL

Haiti K1 Visa Applicants

1,796 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

Is there an expiration date if my fiancé chooses to complete the DS-160 & pay for it at sogexpress? I know they request your

medical to be done 2 weeks prior to the interview date but are there any specific requirements for the DS-160 or can I just complete all that now?

My case is “At NVC” and I want to complete the above steps & select an interview date just in case before it gets further passed October availability. (Also, if I do this, do I have an option to change the interview date if timing isn’t on our side?) 

Any help or advice is much appreciated, thank you! 

Edited by gsdc23

7 minutes ago, gsdc23 said:

Is there an expiration date if my fiancé chooses to complete the DS-160 & pay for it at sogexpress? I know they request your

medical to be done 2 weeks prior to the interview date but are there any specific requirements for the DS-160 or can I just complete all that now?

My case is “At NVC” and I want to complete the above steps & select an interview date just in case before it gets further passed October availability. (Also, if I do this, do I have an option to change the interview date if timing isn’t on our side?) 

Do you have your case ID from calling the National Visa Center? If not, go ahead and call them to get the case ID number and fill out the DS-160. Your fiance must digitally sign and submit the DS-160 online but you can fill out the all the answers for him. He must print the DS 160 confirmation and take it into Sogeexpress to pay. From there, they will you give you an access code to be able to go back online and pick an interview time. I picked an inter

10 hours ago, gsdc23 said:

26 minutes ago, PortauPrince4Love said:

Do you have your case ID from calling the National Visa Center? If not, go ahead and call them to get the case ID number and fill out the DS-160. Your fiance must digitally sign and submit the DS-160 online but you can fill out the all the answers for him. He must print the DS 160 confirmation and take it into Sogeexpress to pay. From there, they will you give you an access code to be able to go back online and pick an interview time. I picked an inter

So wait there are no interview dates prior to October????

Timeline
3 hours ago, PortauPrince4Love said:

Yes, I do have my NVC case number, I just wanted to make sure before I have my fiancé do all of this that there’s no requirement for it to only be done at a certain time. If I can get this done now then I will. Thank you! 

Timeline
3 hours ago, Juliette2784 said:

So wait there are no interview dates prior to October????

Right now they’re showing first available date for an appointment is September, 27th. These days have been filling up very fast. I’ve been tracking it since the beginning of last week. Availabiliy started on September 6th, now 7/8 days later it’s getting close to hitting October. So there are some available dates in September still, but not for long. I’ve attached a pic for you to see. 

2003B327-CE82-433D-ABBB-2D7D956F01C2.png

Edited by gsdc23

1 hour ago, gsdc23 said:

Right now they’re showing first available date for an appointment is September, 27th. These days have been filling up very fast. I’ve been tracking it since the beginning of last week. Availabiliy started on September 6th, now 7/8 days later it’s getting close to hitting October. So there are some available dates in September still, but not for long. I’ve attached a pic for you to see. 

2003B327-CE82-433D-ABBB-2D7D956F01C2.png

Oh my gosh 😭😭😭😭 we have our wedding booked for November 3rd venue and all. I pray something changes . Let me know when you make your appt how it’s looking . I’m so excited for you guys your so close 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽

Timeline
55 minutes ago, Juliette2784 said:

Oh my gosh 😭😭😭😭 we have our wedding booked for November 3rd venue and all. I pray something changes . Let me know when you make your appt how it’s looking . I’m so excited for you guys your so close 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽

I just viewed your timeline and although USCIS has already approved some February filers, estimated time for POE (Point of

entry) can be very tricky, especially since there’s sooo many different timelines from NVC to the embassy and the unforeseen bumps in the road that seems to occur. I’m praying everything works out for you so that your loved one can get here in time before your wedding date, but it is cutting it very close. I filed on Dec. 29th with an NOA1 of jan. 10th and I’m hoping for POE by late October, latest early November. I’m with child and praying my fiancé is able to get here before the birth of our child so you and I both are praying for change! && Thank you, I really hope things play in your favor as well ☺️

Re: this NVC and DS-160 timing string. 

Last December we went ahead and scheduled our wedding for August 25 which seemed safe given historical processing times. TLDR it was close but we made it, he has his passport and is coming to the states next week. 

It took a full 7 months for our NOA2 (Nov 7 - May 22) so I was biting my fingernails. The MINUTE we got it we did the DS-160 and scheduled an appointment for July 26 (first available at that time). I then called NVC every week for an update and in search of the PTP number that we needed to do other things, namely the medical. In June they were telling me it could take 4-6 weeks for our application to move through them. I think it took about 4 weeks. You can't get a packet 3 without that PTP number... as it turns out, we never got our packet 3. My fiance is charming as hell and presented the appointment confirmation at the hospital and had them call the embassy to confirm (luckily at that point, beginning of July the PTP number had been created by NVC though the location of our app wasn't exactly clear). When he arrived for his interview they were looking for the letter of appointment from packet 3 but he again presented the appointment confirmation from the ustraveldocs website and was ok'd. They asked a few questions and gave him his approval. It took 6 business days for his passport to arrive at DHL. 

My take away - I don't necessarily recommend doing it this way, scheduling your appt while app is at NVC but given the timing, it can be done. It's just a little extra stress. But if you're running against the clock with a wedding/birth date, do it - it can be done. And worst case, you can reschedule the interview if the application hasn't made it to the embassy (but given it's already been at NVC for a minute, and the wait for appointments I think it'll be fine)

Irene

ps - other questions I've seen in the last few days:

i-134 affidavit of support they did not look at.

the police report was perfunctory.

there was an error in his gender on extrait darchive (and the ding dong we had paid to expedite a corrected copy didn't do his job) and they didn't notice/care. 

Make sure they have your "how you met" story down (and pref not "on facebook" or some other arranged marriage sounding deal) 

Keep in mind that globally, the approval rate for K1 fiancé visas is 95% - the risk is more in timing than approval. of course have you papers in order and double/triple checked, but try to breathe also. 

I always got better service (relatively... it wasn't good just better) calling the embassy through the english line than my fiance through the kreyol line. 

Timeline
12 hours ago, ieb said:

Re: this NVC and DS-160 timing string. 

Last December we went ahead and scheduled our wedding for August 25 which seemed safe given historical processing times. TLDR it was close but we made it, he has his passport and is coming to the states next week. 

It took a full 7 months for our NOA2 (Nov 7 - May 22) so I was biting my fingernails. The MINUTE we got it we did the DS-160 and scheduled an appointment for July 26 (first available at that time). I then called NVC every week for an update and in search of the PTP number that we needed to do other things, namely the medical. In June they were telling me it could take 4-6 weeks for our application to move through them. I think it took about 4 weeks. You can't get a packet 3 without that PTP number... as it turns out, we never got our packet 3. My fiance is charming as hell and presented the appointment confirmation at the hospital and had them call the embassy to confirm (luckily at that point, beginning of July the PTP number had been created by NVC though the location of our app wasn't exactly clear). When he arrived for his interview they were looking for the letter of appointment from packet 3 but he again presented the appointment confirmation from the ustraveldocs website and was ok'd. They asked a few questions and gave him his approval. It took 6 business days for his passport to arrive at DHL. 

My take away - I don't necessarily recommend doing it this way, scheduling your appt while app is at NVC but given the timing, it can be done. It's just a little extra stress. But if you're running against the clock with a wedding/birth date, do it - it can be done. And worst case, you can reschedule the interview if the application hasn't made it to the embassy (but given it's already been at NVC for a minute, and the wait for appointments I think it'll be fine)

Irene

ps - other questions I've seen in the last few days:

i-134 affidavit of support they did not look at.

the police report was perfunctory.

there was an error in his gender on extrait darchive (and the ding dong we had paid to expedite a corrected copy didn't do his job) and they didn't notice/care. 

Make sure they have your "how you met" story down (and pref not "on facebook" or some other arranged marriage sounding deal) 

Keep in mind that globally, the approval rate for K1 fiancé visas is 95% - the risk is more in timing than approval. of course have you papers in order and double/triple checked, but try to breathe also. 

I always got better service (relatively... it wasn't good just better) calling the embassy through the english line than my fiance through the kreyol line. 

This is VERY helpful! When you sent in the I-129f, did you have to submit your fiancés birth certificate too? If so, did you have your fiancé translate it in English there or in the US? Thanks 

1 hour ago, AlexandraNoel said:

This is VERY helpful! When you sent in the I-129f, did you have to submit your fiancés birth certificate too? If so, did you have your fiancé translate it in English there or in the US? Thanks 

You don't need their birth certificate for the I-129F. At the interview you need it and/or the extrait d'archive (this is what they really want as I understand it). On some govt website I saw a note that if the document is in a language of the host country of the embassy then it doesn't need to be translated. I figured at some point (I think at the marriage license office in CA?) we'll need an English translation so went ahead and did it. He went with a folder of back up papers like that that weren't needed but just in case. 

Timeline
8 hours ago, ieb said:

You don't need their birth certificate for the I-129F. At the interview you need it and/or the extrait d'archive (this is what they really want as I understand it). On some govt website I saw a note that if the document is in a language of the host country of the embassy then it doesn't need to be translated. I figured at some point (I think at the marriage license office in CA?) we'll need an English translation so went ahead and did it. He went with a folder of back up papers like that that weren't needed but just in case. 

Ohhh okay thank you so much! I am starting the whole process soon and they tell me it’s usually 6 months for everything to be completed. Is it that short of a timeframe for real??

Timeline

6 open dates as of right now. 

Screen Shot 2018-08-06 at 5.04.13 PM.png

NEW Case Status website: https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/

OLD  Case Status website: https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do

USCIS - 800-375-5283.  NVC - (603)-334-0700

Contact the National Customer Service Center (NCSC) at 1-800-375-5283.

What to do after NOA2 Approval? How to contact NVC? Click here for info - https://goo.gl/KggThF

USPS INFORMED DELIVERY - https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.action

8 hours ago, AlexandraNoel said:

Ohhh okay thank you so much! I am starting the whole process soon and they tell me it’s usually 6 months for everything to be completed. Is it that short of a timeframe for real??

NO! Not a real timeframe. Historically, it was. I know some people who did this a couple of years ago and it was then. (as I understand it all immigration services are taking longer than they ever have ... short staffing? anti-immigrant sentiment? both?) Our process will have been 10.5 months from receipt of I-129f to entry. This websites timeline estimator was pretty good - it's based on data from our timelines that we share. 

Timeline

Alright so I’ve taken the “risk” and scheduled my fiancé’s appt date at the embassy for September 21st even though our packet is still at NVC. My packet arrived to NVC on July 31st and I got my Case number the next day. Do any of you think I’m being too optimistic with choosing that appointment day?

FYI- My fiancé already has all of his documents (archives, WU receipt examples) and extra evidence pertaining to our case such as pics, messages, and other needed items will be sent in a packet from me through my aunt who is traveling to Haiti soon. The only thing he have not obtained yet is his police certificate and his medical since they want it done closer to the appointment date. 

One more question: does he really have to present some sort of proof to obtain a police certificate? If so is the appointment confirmation letter proof enough? 

Thank you in advance for all responses! 

Edited by gsdc23

Timeline
2 hours ago, gsdc23 said:

Alright so I’ve taken the “risk” and scheduled my fiancé’s appt date at the embassy for September 21st even though our packet is still at NVC. My packet arrived to NVC on July 31st and I got my Case number the next day. Do any of you think I’m being too optimistic with choosing that appointment day?

FYI- My fiancé already has all of his documents (archives, WU receipt examples) and extra evidence pertaining to our case such as pics, messages, and other needed items will be sent in a packet from me through my aunt who is traveling to Haiti soon. The only thing he have not obtained yet is his police certificate and his medical since they want it done closer to the appointment date. 

One more question: does he really have to present some sort of proof to obtain a police certificate? If so is the appointment confirmation letter proof enough? 

Thank you in advance for all responses! 

So my status at NVC just updated to In transit! So maybe my time line isn’t too eager. 

Another question though, did anyone book a medical appointment or did your beneficiary just show up with their necessary documents? 

Edited by gsdc23

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.