CYJC

Organising the wedding far enough in advance?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi all,

I have read on this forum that organising a wedding with a set date can cause troubles since you never know if your visa will be processed in time or not. But I am wondering if anyone has managed it and the kind of time frame they had going. It is important for my Dad to see me get married and he would really like a proper wedding. However he can only really go on holidays during a set time every year due to his work, so it is important to get the timing right for him. Plus we have other guests coming who need more than a couple months heads up to plan and organise. 

My current plan is to have a wedding date of around August 27th 2019, with us applying for the K1 by May 15th 2018 at the latest. This would give us almost 16 months for visa processing & moving. Reasoning for this is that it is taking around 10-12 months for processing currently and I have heard that you do not have to move right away after the visa is approve, that you are given like 6 months to move (?). Does this plan seem reasonable? Is any of my information wrong?

Thank you,

CY

That date isn't unreasonable, but times can quickly and vastly change between filing and when you actually get the visa. There's no way to guarantee a set timeframe, although you can delay the process to a reasonable point (just not speed it up). And yes, the visa is valid for at most 6 months, but is constrained by the validity period of the medical results (typically also 6 months). Then you would have 90 days to marry once inside the US.

If a large/well-planned wedding celebration is your goal, and since being together as quickly as possible is not a concern (you're looking at Q3 2019), I suggest getting married doing a CR-1 visa instead. Then you can plan the wedding however you want without worrying about processing timelines. Once married, you can start the immigration process. You can also visit (via an ESTA I'm assuming here) as normal during the processing. It would basically be sliding the separation period until after you are married instead of in front of it, but otherwise it's a far superior process (no AOS required, cheaper, can work and travel right away, etc.).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
7 minutes ago, geowrian said:

That date isn't unreasonable, but times can quickly and vastly change between filing and when you actually get the visa. There's no way to guarantee a set timeframe, although you can delay the process to a reasonable point (just not speed it up). And yes, the visa is valid for at most 6 months, but is constrained by the validity period of the medical results (typically also 6 months). Then you would have 90 days to marry once inside the US.

If a large/well-planned wedding celebration is your goal, and since being together as quickly as possible is not a concern (you're looking at Q3 2019), I suggest getting married doing a CR-1 visa instead. Then you can plan the wedding however you want without worrying about processing timelines. Once married, you can start the immigration process. You can also visit (via an ESTA I'm assuming here) as normal during the processing. It would basically be sliding the separation period until after you are married instead of in front of it, but otherwise it's a far superior process (no AOS required, cheaper, can work and travel right away, etc.).

We don't actually want a large wedding. It will be tiny regardless, it is more organising people from 3 countries is difficult with work/costs/etc. 

We have seriously considered doing a CR-1 however we decided against it due to financial reasons. Even though it is cheaper visa cost wise, it has a more significant impact on our other financials. The main reason for us waiting until Q3 2019 is that I am finishing off my degree in Aus and I won't graduate until June, otherwise we would be doing ASAP. 

Thanks for your reply, it seems like we may just have to hope and if closer it looks like it won't work, change it. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
8 hours ago, CYJC said:

Hi all,

I have read on this forum that organising a wedding with a set date can cause troubles since you never know if your visa will be processed in time or not. But I am wondering if anyone has managed it and the kind of time frame they had going. It is important for my Dad to see me get married and he would really like a proper wedding. However he can only really go on holidays during a set time every year due to his work, so it is important to get the timing right for him. Plus we have other guests coming who need more than a couple months heads up to plan and organise. 

My current plan is to have a wedding date of around August 27th 2019, with us applying for the K1 by May 15th 2018 at the latest. This would give us almost 16 months for visa processing & moving. Reasoning for this is that it is taking around 10-12 months for processing currently and I have heard that you do not have to move right away after the visa is approve, that you are given like 6 months to move (?). Does this plan seem reasonable? Is any of my information wrong?

Thank you,

CY

Sounds like you have set yourself a reasonable timescale. But do not set anything in stone - e.g. make large non-refundable wedding payments for venues etc, unless you are willing to risk the money.

You are correct about the 6 months. Once your visa is issued, you have 6 months to use it to enter the US, otherwise if you are outside the 6 months you need to do the K1 application process again.

We sent our K1 application in May 2017 - I am having my interview March 16th. Have seen many with a similar timescale.

--- Beneficiary---

NOA1: 24 May 2017

No RFEs
NOA2: 09 September 2017
K1 received : 23 March 2018 :D

Next Step: Flight booked for 15 April 2018 - POE Washington Dulles

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
3 minutes ago, LucyDolly said:

You are correct about the 6 months. Once your visa is issued, you have 6 months to use it to enter the US, otherwise if you are outside the 6 months you need to do the K1 application process again.

@CYJC Keep in mind that your medical must still be valid too. The medical is usually only valid for 6 months, sometimes only 3 if you have medical conditions. Since you usually have your medical prior to the interview (sometimes by a month or more) often the medical is the deciding document.

06.01.2016 met online                                                                    

06.23.2017 met in person                                                              

12.16.2017 got engaged

K1 fiance visa

12.20.2017 K1 filed

12.22.2017 NOA-1

07.10.2018 NOA-2 (200 days)

07.18.2018 case at NVC (case number available on 07.20)

7.26.2018 case at Amsterdam Consulate

7.27-2018 P3 through e-mail

08.02.2018 medical

08.14.2018 interview APPROVED 

08.21.2018 POE

08.25.2018 💕Married 💕

AOS adjustment of status and AP/EAD 

08.27.2018 filed AOS, AP and EAD

08.30.2018 NOA-1 on all 3

9.21.2018 RFE on AOS

9.28.2018 replied to RFE

10.04.2018 biometrics appointment Louisville

11.29.2018 AOS interview Indianapolis  

01.28.2019 AOS approved

ROC removal of conditions

12.7.2020 filed ROC 

1.30.2021 NOA-1

5.28.2021 existing biometrics applied (no new biometrics done)

10.27.2021 ROC approved (no interview)

Check your case status: https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov

Call USCIS: 800-375-5283 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

HI There, 

My husband really wanted a wedding with his family and a couple of friends from Australia present in the US. We did manage to make it work but there is always a luck component to it as well. We had a 50 person wedding at a house on the water we rented for a week (we had his family from Australia stay at the house for the week, it was my families gift to his family), it was an amazing day.

We actually had to make an effort to slow down the process at the time so the visa didn't expire before he was going to enter the country. I think we rescheduled his interview a couple weeks later to make our wedding schedule work. 

Something I wish I did do: I told a co-worker the gamble I was taking with planning the wedding while waiting for the K1. She said she was in a similar situation with her now husband because his deployment dates were always changing. She suggested having each vendor write in a clause that they will not lose the deposit if the date falls through, but they will be able to use the funds, to reschedule the wedding on another available date. I thought this was a great suggestion. She actually did end up losing the date and had to reschedule but didnt lose any money in the long term because of the clauses. 

Edited by AshMarty

01/31/17.... K1 Visa Approved

02/03/17.... K1 Visa Received in Hand

06/05/17....Arrived in the USA (LAX)

06/24/17....Married on Cape Cod <3

07/10/17....Sent AOS package (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/17/17.... AOS notice date for NOA1 (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/21/17.... Received mailed hardcopies of NOA1s

07/29/17.... Biometrics Notice received in mail 

08/01/17.... Biometrics Appointment AOS - complete (walked in)

08/07/17.... Biometrics Appointment EAD - complete (walked in)

10/23/17.... EAD/AP card delivered to house YAY!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
On 2/7/2018 at 7:52 AM, Little_Vixen said:

@CYJC Keep in mind that your medical must still be valid too. The medical is usually only valid for 6 months, sometimes only 3 if you have medical conditions. Since you usually have your medical prior to the interview (sometimes by a month or more) often the medical is the deciding document.

Now that you mention it, this is what we had to reschedule. We actually did the math to make sure that the medical was no more than 6 months out for my now husbands planned immigration date for our wedding. We gave him a 2 week until expiration safety net, in case something happened before the move to the US.

Again there is a large component of luck in this process and you do have to be mentally prepared for it to fall apart if the visa doesn't go smoothly. We were lucky that ours did go smoothly. 

Edited by AshMarty

01/31/17.... K1 Visa Approved

02/03/17.... K1 Visa Received in Hand

06/05/17....Arrived in the USA (LAX)

06/24/17....Married on Cape Cod <3

07/10/17....Sent AOS package (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/17/17.... AOS notice date for NOA1 (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/21/17.... Received mailed hardcopies of NOA1s

07/29/17.... Biometrics Notice received in mail 

08/01/17.... Biometrics Appointment AOS - complete (walked in)

08/07/17.... Biometrics Appointment EAD - complete (walked in)

10/23/17.... EAD/AP card delivered to house YAY!

39 minutes ago, AshMarty said:

Something I wish I did do: I told a co-worker the gamble I was taking with planning the wedding while waiting for the K1. She said she was in a similar situation with her now husband because his deployment dates were always changing. She suggested having each vendor write in a clause that they will not lose the deposit if the date falls through, but they will be able to use the funds, to reschedule the wedding on another available date. I thought this was a great suggestion. She actually did end up losing the date and had to reschedule but didnt lose any money in the long term because of the clauses. 

Excellent advice!

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Have you considered just marrying first and then filing for CR-1 visa instead?

The biggest potential benefit of K-1 visa over CR-1 is timing until US entry. But you are not using that benefit by giving yourself the extra cushions on dates. So what is the point of K-1 for you?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.