starsky

I-751 February 2018 Filers

2,688 posts in this topic

@wildnwonderful unrelated, are you from WV by any chance? I went to WVU for grad school!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Time Line - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

June 2015 got married

AOS
September 10, 2015 mailed the AOS package
September 18, 2015 package received, checks cashed

October 15, 2015 biometrics appointment done
October 21, 2015 case is ready to be scheduled for an interview

November 14, 2015 EAD/AP Combo card is in production

November 21, 2015 EAD/AP card received

April 26, 2016 interview, card approved e-mail

June 10, 2016 card in hand

ROC

February 7, 2018 mailed the ROC package

February 12, 2018 NOA1

February 7, 2019 Case transferred to a local office to schedule an interview

May 8th, 2019 interview, card approved e-mail

Naturalization

January 29, 2019 submitted N-400 online

January 29, 2019 NOA1

February 21, 2019 biometrics appointment done

May 8th 2019 interview, case approved e-mail

So i got my biometrics done today and decided to stop by the DMV to get my license renewed....which they did but for just 12 months. I asked the guy why he he renewed it for just 1 year, he said because my I797 says GC is extended for just 1 year. I was disappointed as i was hoping to get at least 2 years so i don't keep going back to renew all the time.

1 minute ago, wildnwonderful said:

So i got my biometrics done today and decided to stop by the DMV to get my license renewed....which they did but for just 12 months. I asked the guy why he he renewed it for just 1 year, he said because my I797 says GC is extended for just 1 year. I was disappointed as i was hoping to get at least 2 years so i don't keep going back to renew all the time.

I guess it really depends on the DMV officer, I did mine in CA a few days before my GC expired and got it renewed until 2022...

1 minute ago, wildnwonderful said:

@robhat i wasn't much impressed but i guess it's better than nothing.

Certainly, I now know how much it sucks in the DMV. My experience before CA was a small town in Oregon where you could just walk in and be out within 10 mins. Not so much in the Bay area in CA.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

So when it comes to applying for citizenship... At what point are you eligible? Is it 3 years being married or 3 years since you got your Green Card? USCIS made it sound like it's 3 years from your wedding anniversary but you never know with them, not everyone there know what they're talking about. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

So when it comes to applying for citizenship... At what point are you eligible? Is it 3 years being married or 3 years since you got your Green Card? USCIS made it sound like it's 3 years from your wedding anniversary but you never know with them, not everyone there know what they're talking about. 

It's 3 years since the anniversary of your green card (the date printed on your green card).

Edited by iPod

AOS

Spoiler

Feb. 4 2016: Mailed package to Chicago lockbox

Feb. 8 2016: AOS received by Chicago lockbox
Feb. 15 2016: NOA1 email

Feb. 26 2016: NOA1 hard copies

Feb. 29 2016: Biometrics letter

Mar. 7 2016: Biometrics done

Mar. 15 2016: RFIE for I-485 email

Mar. 29 2016: Response to RFIE was received

Apr. 8 2016: Second RFIE

Apr. 20 2016: Response to RFIE was received

Apr. 28 2016: AP approved

May 6 2016: Interview notice

May 23 2016: AP hard copy

June 13 2016: Interview, approved!! Online status changed to My Card Is Being Produced

June 14 2016: Online status changed to My Case Was Approved

June 17 2016: Online status changed to My Card Was Mailed To Me

June 18 2016: Green card received

ROC

Spoiler

Mar. 19, 2018: Mailed I-751 to CSC

Mar. 20, 2018: I-751 delivered to CSC

Mar. 26 2018: NOA date

Mar. 30, 2018: Received NOA

May 11, 2018: Reuse of biometrics notice date

April 23, 2019: Case approved

April 30, 2019: Card received

Naturalization

Sept. 25, 2020: submitted N-400 online (Estimated Case Completion: May 2021 (8 months))

Oct. 3, 2020: NOA received by mail

Apr. 17, 2021: biometrics re-use letter 

May 3, 2021: interview scheduled for June 4

Timeline
Just now, iPod said:

It's 3 years since the anniversary of your green card (the date printed on your green card).

That's what I figured it would be and it makes way more sense. It's funny when the people working for USCIS has less knowledge of what's going on than people on an internet forum. :P Thank you :) Guess I have to wait until March 2019. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Unidentified said:

That's what I figured it would be and it makes way more sense. It's funny when the people working for USCIS has less knowledge of what's going on than people on an internet forum. :P Thank you :) Guess I have to wait until March 2019. 

Exactly! I have heard some crazy stories about what people went through with USCIS. 

AOS

Spoiler

Feb. 4 2016: Mailed package to Chicago lockbox

Feb. 8 2016: AOS received by Chicago lockbox
Feb. 15 2016: NOA1 email

Feb. 26 2016: NOA1 hard copies

Feb. 29 2016: Biometrics letter

Mar. 7 2016: Biometrics done

Mar. 15 2016: RFIE for I-485 email

Mar. 29 2016: Response to RFIE was received

Apr. 8 2016: Second RFIE

Apr. 20 2016: Response to RFIE was received

Apr. 28 2016: AP approved

May 6 2016: Interview notice

May 23 2016: AP hard copy

June 13 2016: Interview, approved!! Online status changed to My Card Is Being Produced

June 14 2016: Online status changed to My Case Was Approved

June 17 2016: Online status changed to My Card Was Mailed To Me

June 18 2016: Green card received

ROC

Spoiler

Mar. 19, 2018: Mailed I-751 to CSC

Mar. 20, 2018: I-751 delivered to CSC

Mar. 26 2018: NOA date

Mar. 30, 2018: Received NOA

May 11, 2018: Reuse of biometrics notice date

April 23, 2019: Case approved

April 30, 2019: Card received

Naturalization

Sept. 25, 2020: submitted N-400 online (Estimated Case Completion: May 2021 (8 months))

Oct. 3, 2020: NOA received by mail

Apr. 17, 2021: biometrics re-use letter 

May 3, 2021: interview scheduled for June 4

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So my wife and I got back from our vacation just fine (we were worried our biometrics appointment might be scheduled, but we're in the CSC group, so no idea when/if that's happening). Now I have another question/concern. My wife's Canadian passport will expire next year, and we need to renew it. During our trip we went to a place in Canada where they do all that stuff to ask our questions, because we're going to have to do it by mail from the US. Since her current passport was before we were married and therefore in her maiden name, the lady at the center said we need to file for a new one altogether in her married name. We have everything gathered for that, signed, copies of documents, etc.

The reason we are looking into doing this sooner rather than later is because of the stamp we will likely need to get since I highly doubt the I-751 will be completed in the one year extension period (if I recall correctly, if it's nearing the end of that period and USCIS is still working on it, then you make an infopass appointment at your local office and get a stamp on your passport). So if her passport expires in a year, it's probably a better idea to get it renewed and everything before we go through that, so she has a 10 year passport to stamp.

My question is do we need her current passport for biometrics? I can't remember from  when we did AOS and it could be different for ROC, but in order to do her new passport by mail, we need to send her old one in, and I think the passport office in Canada said 4-6 weeks to complete the process. We'd rather get this done sooner, rather than later, since all the passport photos, guarantor signed documents are valid for only 6 months, but I'm concerned that we won't get biometrics in that time, or we need her current passport for that biometrics when the time comes. Her new passport would be in her married name, which since her GC is like that as well, will be nice because we won't need to carry around our marriage certificate when traveling to "connect the dots" in case we get a border guard who isn't completely sure of what's going on (we had that for her K1 visa, it took 5 guards at the border reading from a little book on how to do everything).

Should we be concerned? Can we just send away for her new passport now, or should we wait until after biometrics?

K1 Visa Timeline 01/30/2015- Engaged02/20/2015- I-129F petition filed03/12/2015- NOA 1 received04/02/2015- NOA 2 received!04/24/2014- Case sent from NVC to Consulate in Montreal04/27/2015- Called NVC to receive Case #05/04/2015- Emailed/mailed Packet 3 to Montreal05/13/2015- Consulate received Packet 305/20/2015- Packet 4 email06/12/2015- Medical06/25/2015- Interview-APPROVED07/08/2015- Visa issued07/14/2015- Visa in hand07/20/2015- POE Sarnia/Port Huron border<p>08/14/2015- wedding!

September 2015- Applied for AOS

September 30th- Biometrics Appointment

November 2015- Advanced Parole/ Employment Authorization Received

15 hours ago, Danielle and Jake said:

So my wife and I got back from our vacation just fine (we were worried our biometrics appointment might be scheduled, but we're in the CSC group, so no idea when/if that's happening). Now I have another question/concern. My wife's Canadian passport will expire next year, and we need to renew it. During our trip we went to a place in Canada where they do all that stuff to ask our questions, because we're going to have to do it by mail from the US. Since her current passport was before we were married and therefore in her maiden name, the lady at the center said we need to file for a new one altogether in her married name. We have everything gathered for that, signed, copies of documents, etc.

The reason we are looking into doing this sooner rather than later is because of the stamp we will likely need to get since I highly doubt the I-751 will be completed in the one year extension period (if I recall correctly, if it's nearing the end of that period and USCIS is still working on it, then you make an infopass appointment at your local office and get a stamp on your passport). So if her passport expires in a year, it's probably a better idea to get it renewed and everything before we go through that, so she has a 10 year passport to stamp.

My question is do we need her current passport for biometrics? I can't remember from  when we did AOS and it could be different for ROC, but in order to do her new passport by mail, we need to send her old one in, and I think the passport office in Canada said 4-6 weeks to complete the process. We'd rather get this done sooner, rather than later, since all the passport photos, guarantor signed documents are valid for only 6 months, but I'm concerned that we won't get biometrics in that time, or we need her current passport for that biometrics when the time comes. Her new passport would be in her married name, which since her GC is like that as well, will be nice because we won't need to carry around our marriage certificate when traveling to "connect the dots" in case we get a border guard who isn't completely sure of what's going on (we had that for her K1 visa, it took 5 guards at the border reading from a little book on how to do everything).

Should we be concerned? Can we just send away for her new passport now, or should we wait until after biometrics?

Is the passport necessary for biometrics?  Shouldn't the green card and state ID be enough?  The passport you have now does not have all the up to date info on it that the Green Card or even the driver's license should have.  I'd hold off a little bit and see what the hell is going on with processing times with CSC before you make your decision.  

K1 Visa Timeline

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3/11/2015

I-129F NOA1 : 3/17/2015

I-129F NOA2 : 4/7/2015

NVC Received : 5/5/2015

Embassy Received : 5/26/2015

Interview Date : 7/8/2015 (APPROVED)

Visa Received : 7/15/2015

US Entry : 9/21/2015

Married : 12/12/2015

Adjustment of Status Timeline

Spoiler

AOS Sent : 1/30/2016

AOS Received Text : 2/1/2016

I-797s Received : 2/6/2016

Biometrics Letter : 2/13/2016

Biometrics Appt : 2/25/2016

Interview Letter : 3/18/2016

EAD/AP Approval online : 4/11/2016

Interview Appt : 4/15/2016 (APPROVED)

Green card in hand : 4/23/2016

Removal of Conditions Timeline

Spoiler

ROC Sent: 2/20/2018

ROC delivered by USPS: 2/23/2018

I-797 received: 3/2/2018

Biometrics Letter: 5/12/2018 (using old fingerprints)

18 Month Extension Letter: 8/27/2018

Green Card Mailed: 2/15/2019

Notice Received in Mail: 2/16/2019

Green Card Received: 2/22/2019

Timeline
8 hours ago, ALIENRJ187 said:

Is the passport necessary for biometrics?  Shouldn't the green card and state ID be enough?  The passport you have now does not have all the up to date info on it that the Green Card or even the driver's license should have.  I'd hold off a little bit and see what the hell is going on with processing times with CSC before you make your decision.  

I guess that's what I'm wondering to, if her passport is necessary for the biometrics appointment. Hoping someone who has had their appointment recently could shed some light on that. I agree, her GC and state ID are the most current and accurate documents, but who knows?

K1 Visa Timeline 01/30/2015- Engaged02/20/2015- I-129F petition filed03/12/2015- NOA 1 received04/02/2015- NOA 2 received!04/24/2014- Case sent from NVC to Consulate in Montreal04/27/2015- Called NVC to receive Case #05/04/2015- Emailed/mailed Packet 3 to Montreal05/13/2015- Consulate received Packet 305/20/2015- Packet 4 email06/12/2015- Medical06/25/2015- Interview-APPROVED07/08/2015- Visa issued07/14/2015- Visa in hand07/20/2015- POE Sarnia/Port Huron border<p>08/14/2015- wedding!

Timeline
On 5/5/2018 at 8:55 AM, Danielle and Jake said:

If she has a valid Drivers license her passport is not needed. She would only need to bring her passport if that is the only valid form of ID she has. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, Unidentified said:

If she has a valid Drivers license her passport is not needed. She would only need to bring her passport if that is the only valid form of ID she has. 

Probably a dumb question, but does a state ID count? She doesn't drive, so she just has a Wisconsin State ID (which looks the same as a driver's license), and her GC, obviously. I'm just scared to risk it, but I'd rather get this new passport business done with sooner, rather than later (since we only have about 5.5 months of the photos and guarantor signatures being valid).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.