DeadPoolX

Behaviors, manners and overall attitude

84 posts in this topic

I obviously don't think the US is bad as I'm living here, and plan on becoming a citizen in the future. I left everything I knew to come here and be with the man I love.

I haven't seen a whole lot of "America sucks" on this board. Perhaps when I see it, I don't bother reading it. I do know that I'm annoyed when comments are made though, that suggest that people who move to the US, whether they be from Canada or anywhere, are only coming for the "greencard". I think that's when the hair on the back of my neck starts to stand up! hehe

Does any Canadian in this forum believe that if they hadn't of met the love of their life they'd be here? Or planning on moving here? I'm a Canadian in my heart....that can never be taken away from me. While I will embrace all that is American, that doesn't mean that I won't defend, or even laugh about my birth country.

I'm 49 years old, and I suspect that due to my age, I grew up in a different time than maybe some other people posting. Maybe not. While I was growing up, Canada was called the 51st State, we had no textbooks in my school, in Toronto, that were even written, printed or published in Canada. I grew up with American History, with some Canadian History, written by American's. All our television stations came from the USA, and we were bombarded daily (I didn't think of it as being bombarded then!) with news from Buffalo and Detroit. TV shows made fun of Canada. There was no Canadian content on the TV at all. Mass media portrayed "us", Canadians, as being jokes, and that we had nothing to offer. In 1967, our Confederation, probably for the first time, there was a movement that came about in Canada...to stand proud, that we were NOT the 51st State, that we had many reasons to be proud of where we lived, the society and culture that we created. Prior to that, many believed that we should just "join" the US. We were told continuously that we were no "different", and that we were the "poor relations to the North".

So I too embraced that I didn't have to be embarrassed about where I lived, my citizenship. That it didn't matter if we didn't have everything the USA had. That we WERE significant, in our own right. That has carried through with me to this day.

Anyway, I didn't want this to be a rant. I do get hurt, by words, quite easily. I love my husband, I love my new home, I love the City of St. Louis, I love the USA. I will eventually be a citizen. I will not however give up my Canadian citizenship. (and that we HAVE posted about on this board! hehe) All Canadians are not the same, not all American's are the same. Period. But what started out as a fun post, turned, in my opinion, into nastiness.

Carla (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, I can't (and won't) speak for Homesick_American, but I didn't intend to be rude or insulting with my last post. I understand that in the past (and still sometimes today) Canada gets looked at rather poorly by the United States. I really don't understand what the reason for this is (I like Canada), but I mainly blame the media.

Hell, I blame the media for a lot of things -- they perpetuate stereotypes about race, religion, nationality, sex... you name it, it's been mutated by the ever-present media. The worst part about it is that the majority of people fall right in line believing whatever they hear, read or see. If it was on the nightly news, it must be true and accurate! :rolleyes:

I think it's good that Canadians have a healthy self-image about themselves nowadays. It's not good to constantly live in the shadow of another country. I've just seen a number of posts that continually blast the United States for not being exactly like Canada. Well, it's not going to be Canada. The U.S. is a different country. Sometimes I wish that weren't the case (it's make being with my fiancee a whole lot easier), but we do have our ways of doing things, and while some of those ways may seem foreign to some of you, that doesn't necessarily make them bad or worse than Canada's ways.

I don't think any Canadian is coming to the U.S. to solely get a greencard. It's not like Canada is Somalia; there's really no reason to "escape." But yes... there are people who believe that the U.S. is "the greatest country on Earth" and that anyone coming here is looking for "the land of milk and honey." I love my country (despite how it sometimes pisses me off) and I think it's a great country to live in; however, I won't go around saying (especially in front of foreigners) that "it's the best!" That's just rude and tacky. Besides, most everyone believes their own country is "the best" for whatever reason and announcing it to others is only going to alienate them; it certainly won't make them go, "You know what? You're right! Your country is so much better than my own!" :P

In regards to Canadian citizenship, I think it's great that so many Canadians are willing to go through the process to become a USC. It's beneficial, actually. At the very least, entering the U.S. is a lot easier. But I don't think any Canadian should lose their Canadian citizenship (and fortunately, they don't) in the process.

As I said in my last post, both Canada and the U.S. are great countries and have a lot to offer their people. You really can't go wrong living in either country. :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Does any Canadian in this forum believe that if they hadn't of met the love of their life they'd be here? Or planning on moving here?

I did. I actually researched and work to get on a TN status just to get to the US. I was quite misserable in Canada, I never enjoyed living there and there wasn't a lot there that I actually felt worthwhile. Plus I had visited many times all over the country (49 states) and a lot of my friends were American. So I got my degree, got a job, got the TN and moved for the sole purpose to hopefully one day, become a citizen as I had no intention of every going back to Canada other then to visit maybe once a year if that.

So finding my wife was actually a bonus that just happend by a fluke at a art show. She was the one and that made it all worthwhile. I had other girl friends that had talked about marriage, but they just weren't the ones for me.

So yes, to answer this question I would still be here if I never met the love of my life, and I had planned on moving here as a single person and was luckily able to do so. Now I see that's probably not the norm, but yes it does happen...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I did. I actually researched and work to get on a TN status just to get to the US. I was quite misserable in Canada, I never enjoyed living there and there wasn't a lot there that I actually felt worthwhile. Plus I had visited many times all over the country (49 states) and a lot of my friends were American. So I got my degree, got a job, got the TN and moved for the sole purpose to hopefully one day, become a citizen as I had no intention of every going back to Canada other then to visit maybe once a year if that.

Your case is a little different though since you adjusted from a TN. I think for the majority of the Canadian K1s, K3s and CR-1/IR-1 applicants we would not have moved here if not for our fiances/spouses and their individual circumstances (e.g., better for the USC's career to stay here or because their children are here, etc.).

If my marriage ended, I'd be back in Canada in a heartbeat. I'm sure as hell not here for a greencard... I made way more money (even after converting CDN > USD) at the job that I left to be here than I'll ever make in the U.S. :P

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sort of on topic... differences between Canada Post and USPS! Well, we all know that Canada Post sucks... but I just discovered that addresses with apartments are done differently here in the U.S. Example... 123 Street Avenue, Apt. 456

Canada Post: 456-123 Street Avenue - apartment number first, then street number

USPS: 123-456 Street Avenue - street number first, then apartment number

Glad that I never short-formed my address here and just wrote it out like, "123 Street Avenue, Apt. 456", or I never would have gotten any mail!

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ah…..Canadian/American differences. One of the topics that me and my beautiful maple leaf flag waving missus find ourselves talking about quite frequently. Talking about how we are different has certainly drawn us closer together and that is one thing I am thankful for. I have found the more we talk about the differences between our countries and cultures and attitudes, the more open my mind becomes and I find I become a better person for having discussed it with her. I learn new points of views and learn new things about myself and this land of America that I love and call my home.

I think the fact that we first discovered our love for each other on Canada Day last year, while she was visiting me here in the US is so cool. I can’t think of a better way to start our love for one another. I couldn’t have planned it any better. I am really looking forward to celebrating Canada Day with her this year as a way of marking a huge milestone in our lives together.

I am so glad that my wife is from Canada. The blend of her personality and character with her identity of a very patriotic Canadian makes her irresistible to me. I couldn’t have found a better wife if I had tried. I wouldn’t have it any other way. Vive la difference!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Ah…..Canadian/American differences. One of the topics that me and my beautiful maple leaf flag waving missus find ourselves talking about quite frequently. Talking about how we are different has certainly drawn us closer together and that is one thing I am thankful for. I have found the more we talk about the differences between our countries and cultures and attitudes, the more open my mind becomes and I find I become a better person for having discussed it with her. I learn new points of views and learn new things about myself and this land of America that I love and call my home.

I think the fact that we first discovered our love for each other on Canada Day last year, while she was visiting me here in the US is so cool. I can’t think of a better way to start our love for one another. I couldn’t have planned it any better. I am really looking forward to celebrating Canada Day with her this year as a way of marking a huge milestone in our lives together.

I am so glad that my wife is from Canada. The blend of her personality and character with her identity of a very patriotic Canadian makes her irresistible to me. I couldn’t have found a better wife if I had tried. I wouldn’t have it any other way. Vive la difference!

Awe baby.. I love you.. and I am grateful for your patience with my US generalizations and my frustrations with culture & differences here. You are a patient understanding man that has helped me see so so many wonderful things about the US. You have broken every stereotype I held so tightly to, and I would move anywhere in this great country to be with you :)

I love our discussions as well.. you always bring me back around to reality, and I know sometimes you might THINK I'm not listening but I am.. and you've helped me see another side to my political arguments- I love that you swing right & i swing left.. it works for us!

Edited by Emancipation

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
:secret: I'm a blessed woman CutienPurg what can I say!

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have already told my wife, if somethigng targic happened to her (as in dead), house would be up for sale, and I would be moving back to Canada ASAP!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
(I am a Texan, so maybe Texas gets a bit better education in overall geography)

Tell that to the World Geography teacher at my high school who was teaching kids that Canada has "Providences" :D Oh, Texas... every so often I actually miss it!

08/15/2007 - K-1 Visa approved
09/01/2007 - Moved to Ohio

11/24/2007 - Married!
03/31/2008 - Received Green Card
05/03/2010 - Conditions removed

Finally applying for citizenship!

01/19/2016 - Filed N-400
01/25/2016 - NOA
02/17/2016 - Biometrics appointment
02/26/2016 - Receieved interview letter
04/01/2016 - Naturalization interview

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
(I am a Texan, so maybe Texas gets a bit better education in overall geography)

Tell that to the World Geography teacher at my high school who was teaching kids that Canada has "Providences" :D Oh, Texas... every so often I actually miss it!

Well, you can't account for every high school. ;)

I know the high school I went to taught geography well, but then again, that's one high school out of how many?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just my two cents being an American that has lived (and am still living at the moment) in Canada for the last few years-- I can't really speak for the shoe thing, or the "please" and "thank you" thing, or the holding the door thing, or the general ignorance thing, because I haven't really experienced many differences there. Some people just happen to be rude and/or stupid. It really doesn't matter where you are. I'm sure these types of things differ from household to household-- My mom always made sure we said our pleases and thank yous, and we rarely wore shoes throughout the house or in anyone else's house. In general, I would say that it is very rude (at least in Minneapolis) to not hold the door open for someone who is less than 6 feet behind you.

I've heard the claim made on this thread that Americans view Canada negatively but I'm not sure that is the case. If it is, it works the other way too. I constantly feel that I have to apologize for or hide the fact that I am American, even though I am very proud of being from Minnesota and I do think that the US is a great country in many respects. I do get teased (all in good fun) sometimes for being American and disscussions often ensue about cultural differences. I do not take offence to such things... Yet I wouldn't feel comfortable broadcasting my Americaness to someone I wasn't comfortable with, because a lot of people tend to confuse American politics with American people. I'll admitt I have *never* been harrassed upon someone finding out I am American, but I do hear tons of American bashing floating around if they do not know.

As for something on the lighter side that kind of blew me away when I came to Canada-- religious public schools. #######? This is not a concept most Americans are familiar with since, withthe constitutional separation of church and state, such institutions do not exist in the US (to my knowledge). Sure there are many people who do believe that Christian prayer or some kind of religious guidelines belong in all schools... But I'm not sure how many people would be comfortable with publically funded Catholic (or whatever) schools. The issue is not a big problem in Canada at all...It's never discussed. I merely happened upon the knowledge by chance and it had never occured to me that Canada does not have separation of church and state. In the US however, it would be a huge matter of contention.

Edited by ladykelia

K1 Visa Journey:

Jan 12, 2007- I-129F Sent

Jan 17, 2007- I-129F has arrived at the NSC

Jan 24, 2007- NOA1 date

Jan 27, 2007- Check cashed by CSC

Jan 29, 2007- Paper NOA1 recieved (at permenant US address)

May 1, 2007- NOA2

May 16, 2007- At the NVC

May 18, 2007- Left NVC

May 30, 2007- Packet 3 arrives

May 31, 2007- Faxed Packet 3 stuff back

July 9, 2007- Interview at Vancouver

July 10, 2007- Visa recieved!

July 18, 2007- US entry

August 25, 2007- Wedding <3

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.