R&OC

Temporary Military ID for Dependents? [split topic]

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Dear all,

I know this is an older threat. But I do have a quick question. Has anyone gotten a temporary military ID card for dependents? I am supposed to renew mine every 90 days until I have my social security number. That will take a while - for sure.... :(

• 2 months later...
On 7/19/2017 at 12:36 AM, R&OC said:

Dear all,

I know this is an older threat. But I do have a quick question. Has anyone gotten a temporary military ID card for dependents? I am supposed to renew mine every 90 days until I have my social security number. That will take a while - for sure.... :(

I find it a little weird. 

I don’t have a SSN yet (we are pcsing stateside in 10 days) and i’ve Been married since 2015. Got my military ID 2 years ago and we only needed our marriage certificate. 

I never heard of a temporary ID (maybe because we are overseas).

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

From reading here in this forum, I am assuming that each DEERS office has slightly different processes they go by. But I would believe that probably overseas spouses are in no need of a SSN number?

• 2 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The above content was split from a now-closed old topic.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Well, It is a little bit weird. I don't know why you have to do that. Me and my husband went to make mine and they gave me a 5 years valid dependent ID. You should to check with your husband that.

Timeline

Its funny, though. I met quite a few foreign born military spouses... it ranges from some not getting an ID at all before the status turns into a legal LPR (for those traveling to the US, getting married and then filing for adjustment - that's difficult), to some receiving a dependent ID for 4-5 years. I had to renew mine every three months but finally got the 4 year version which is such a relief. It really does depend on which DEERS office one is going to.

• 4 weeks later...

I got here on a K1 in December 2017, got married and enrolled in DEERS, got my ID card for 90 days without an SSN. Went to renew it this month and they said because I still haven't got my SSN they can still give me an ID card to access base housing but I am not enrolled in Tricare so now I have no medical insurance. I tried giving them my A-number but they didn't appear to know what to do with that. I won't be getting my SSN for another 3 months at least whilst I am applying for EAD so now I'm left with no insurance during that time.

Really frustrated because I didn't realise I wouldn't be able to get a SSN number after we got married (I tried before applying for EAD) and wish I had just done it before, but there is nothing I can do now. :angry:

Shame you didn't apply for SSN as soon as you arrived. You could have got it based on marriage certificate and your unexpired I-94.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

On 3/14/2018 at 10:02 AM, Joulesrc said:

I got here on a K1 in December 2017, got married and enrolled in DEERS, got my ID card for 90 days without an SSN. Went to renew it this month and they said because I still haven't got my SSN they can still give me an ID card to access base housing but I am not enrolled in Tricare so now I have no medical insurance. I tried giving them my A-number but they didn't appear to know what to do with that. I won't be getting my SSN for another 3 months at least whilst I am applying for EAD so now I'm left with no insurance during that time.

Really frustrated because I didn't realise I wouldn't be able to get a SSN number after we got married (I tried before applying for EAD) and wish I had just done it before, but there is nothing I can do now. :angry:

What a shame that you didn't apply sooner for an SSN. I first received a temporary ID as well, until I received my SSN.
I also applied for AOS and EAD in August last year and still haven't heard a thing :/ 

20 hours ago, Londonergirl said:

What a shame that you didn't apply sooner for an SSN. I first received a temporary ID as well, until I received my SSN.
I also applied for AOS and EAD in August last year and still haven't heard a thing :/ 

Glad you were wiser than me and managed to get your SSN! Wow that's a long time, they're supposed to be processed within 90 days, have you called USCIS about it?

15 minutes ago, Joulesrc said:

Glad you were wiser than me and managed to get your SSN! Wow that's a long time, they're supposed to be processed within 90 days, have you called USCIS about it?

I have called them about 25 times but still nothing. 

1 minute ago, Londonergirl said:

I have called them about 25 times but still nothing. 

I'm sorry to hear that, it really sucks :( Fingers crossed you hear some good news soon!

• 1 month later...

My first mil ID was also for only valid for 90-days. When we went back to get another one, I was given a 4-year one to replace it. I was scared as heck though. The first time we went in, the person there told us he can't issue anything other than the 90-day one because I don't have an SSN so we have to have an SSN within that timeframe. When we did go back to renew it, I still didn't have one because we didn't even bother filing our AOS yet. But the lady making the ID for us this time seemed confused as to why it would only give us another 90-day ID. She asked for help from her supervisor (I think) and he said to "just give them the 4-year one" lol. I was so relieved. :rolleyes:

But yeah I think it depends on the DEERS office/base. Apparently some are more strict about it and others are less so.

May 31, 2017 - POE: Seattle (B-2 Visa)

June 9, 2017 - Got married!

-

04.12.2018 - AOS packet (I-130 & I-485) sent with G-1145

04.24.2018 - Received NOA for I-130 & I-481 via txt & e-mail; Checks cashed

05.17.2018 - Biometrics Appointment (I-485)

11.13.2018 - Interview Scheduled

12.18.2018 - Interview Done @ Denver, CO Field Office : APPROVED on the spot

During the interview, I expressed my concern to the officer about my EAD/AP card and why I haven't heard anything about it 'til now. He confirms that my application for it wasn't even on their system. (Eh!!?)

I didn't ask any more about it though since he said I should be receiving my conditional GC in the mail soon and an EAD & AP would be useless at this point. ._.

12.21.2018 - 2-year Conditional Green Card received in the mail [validity: 12.18.2018 - 12.18.2020]

-

10.01.2019 - Moved to Rhode Island while husband is deployed to S.Korea

-

09.12.2020 - Changed address on USCIS website

09.14.2020 - Filed N-400 online (qualified under INA 319(b)); Called USCIS military help line to request expedite of application

09.15.2020 - Case received & application is being reviewed

09.21.2020 - Sent another request for expedite (via e-mail)

09.22.2020 - Expedite Request Approved. Received a call from Providence, RI Application Support Center: Scheduled Biometrics Appointment for 10.06.2020 & Scheduled Interview (tentatively) for 10.09.2020

09.24.2020 - Scheduled Biometrics Appointment (hard copy received)

10.02.2020 - I-751 sent with G-1145

10.06.2020 - Biometrics Appointment (N-400)

10.16.2020 - Received NOA for I-751 via txt; Credit Card charged

10.26.2020 - Received NOA , Biometrics reused

11.02.2020 - Interview scheduled for both I-751 & N-400

11.03.2020 - Interview Done @ Providence, RI Filed Office: APPROVED w/ same day Oath Ceremony - I'm officially a US Citizen! :D

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
On 7/18/2017 at 6:36 PM, R&OC said:

Dear all,

I had a temporary ID for 90 days until I got my SSN but I got my SSN the week after as I came in on a K1 ... why would it take long for your SSN to come??? Just go to the SS office and they will issue you it in the mail within the week!? Then take it to DEERS and boom, you’re on.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.