7 posts in this topic

Hi all. Hope you're having a wonderful Saturday!!

My husband and I attended our green card interview thursday; super simple! Our time was at 10:45 am and we were out of the building by 10:35 am! By 10:50 my app updated and told me my new card is being produced!

Anyways, now onto what my question is...Would it be possible for me to now apply for a credit card? Given it is already approved, I should count as a permanent resident, correct? *given that this is usually a requirement on credit cards*

Should I play it safe and wait until I have my green card in hand? or would I be ok to apply for this now? I really can't find this answer anywhere.

Anyway thank you for your time to answer my questions.

Yes, you can apply for a credit card as long as you are a permanent resident and have a SSN. 

However, neither one of those will guarantee your approval of a credit card, you will not be approved unless you have a good credit score, which you accomplish by having a good credit history.  Some credit card banks/lenders will approve you for a card with low credit limit and a high interest rate.  If you don't have a good credit history if will help you if you apply for a secured credit card instead, which is back by a cash deposit.

21 Aug 2013: I-129F Sent

11 Feb 2014: Visa APPROVED!

20 May 2014: Wedding!

--

31 Jul 2014: Mailed AOS Packet

12 Feb 2015: AOS Interview - Approved

--

22 Feb 2017: Mailed ROC Packet

08 Aug 2018: ROC Approved

2 minutes ago, Jo Së said:

Yes, you can apply for a credit card as long as you are a permanent resident and have a SSN. 

However, neither one of those will guarantee your approval of a credit card, you will not be approved unless you have a good credit score, which you accomplish by having a good credit history.  Some credit card banks/lenders will approve you for a card with low credit limit and a high interest rate.  If you don't have a good credit history if will help you if you apply for a secured credit card instead, which is back by a cash deposit.

Thank you so much for your answer. Yes I am very aware about approval is small...hopefully it will be fine anyway. I'm mostly just hoping to start building my credit score :) So since I was approved (but I dont have the card in hand yet) I should be ok right?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Apply for a secured credit card from Discover for a better chance of being approved.

05/24/2017 Entered the US on a J1 visa

10/10/2017 We got married!

10/27/2017 AOS Package sent via USPS - Chicago Lockbox

10/30/2017 Package delivered 

10/31/2017 Priority Date

11/07/2017 Received email and text notifications about all 4 forms

11/14/2017 Received hard copies of all 4 NOAs

11/21/2017 Received biometrics appointment notice scheduled for 11/29

12/15/2017 Interview notice - interview is scheduled for January 19th! Holy #$%^ that's less than 3 months from PD!

01/02/2018 EAD + AP approved

01/16/2018 Combo card delivered

01/19/2018 Interview - recommended for approval

01/22/2018 New card is being produced :dance:

UBtw.png

Personally I wouldn’t advise any to get a credit card. 

05/22/2012 - MAILED AOS PACKAGE.
06/04/2012 - RECEIVED NOTICE IN THE MAIL.
06/04/2012 - RECEIVED BIOMETRICS APPOINTMENT IN THE MAIL.
06/06/2012 - WALK IN BIOMETRICS COMPLETED.
07/11/2012 - TEXT AND EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS OF I-485 INTERVIEW APPOINTMENT.
07/13/2012 - RECEIVED HARD COPY OF INTERVIEW NOTICE IN THE MAIL.
07/28/2012 - EAD CARD PRODUCTION ORDER.
08/04/2012 - EAD CARD IN HAND.
08/15/2012 - GC INTERVIEW. APPROVED. PASSPORT STAMPED.
08/20/2012 - GC CARD PRODUCTION ORDERED.
08/23/2012 - GC RECEIVED.

06/28/2014 - MAILED I-751 PACKAGE

07/05/2014 - RECEIVED NOA 1

01/15/2016 - Interviewed and Approved.

08/02/2016 - N400 Interviewed and Approved.

1 hour ago, J & J 1991 said:

Hi ,

congrats !!

i wonder what kind of questions did they ask u ?

we are going fir Intervirw end of this month (I -485) k1.

thnks 

We had a super easy interview. He only asked me to confirm my name, my age. Then he asked me the yes/no questions, then he asked if I wanted to add any papers to my big pile lol. I gave him my lease & bank statements, and he told me that I'd have to file for removal of conditions within 2 yrs. That was it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.