Pooh

Visit in US while processing K1visa

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I am planning to visit my fiancé in US next month.  Because we are waiting  for NOA2 more than 5 months and seems like it takes more time. I really miss him, so I decided to visit him.( we have not met since last October when he visit me)

I heard that many people while processing K1visa already visited in US and no problem. However, I have question. What should I mention at immigration for purpose to visit? I thought I should tell them honestly my purpose is to visit my fiancé, but our attorney told me I should not tell like that and even shouldn’t show my engagement ring too. I am worried about that.

So, It would be nice if someone give me advice who had visit in US lately while processing K1 Visa.

Thank you very much for your help.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Always be honest to an immigration officer! Don't lie or try to hide anything cause it might have terrible consequences 

i visited my fiancé in December after we got our noa2. I was really worried so I prepared a letter from my employer stating when I had to return. I had 2 pay stubs and a letter from my fiancé as well. 

When i arrived at Dallas the officer asked what was the purpose of my travel and I said I'm visiting my fiancé and some friends. He saw my engagement ring and only asked when I would return home and how I met my fiancé 

Being honest can never be wrong 

can you travel with esta? 

Edited by ToTheMoonAndBack

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Pooh said:

I am planning to visit my fiancé in US next month.  Because we are waiting  for NOA2 more than 5 months and seems like it takes more time. I really miss him, so I decided to visit him.( we have not met since last October when he visit me)

I heard that many people while processing K1visa already visited in US and no problem. However, I have question. What should I mention at immigration for purpose to visit? I thought I should tell them honestly my purpose is to visit my fiancé, but our attorney told me I should not tell like that and even shouldn’t show my engagement ring too. I am worried about that.

So, It would be nice if someone give me advice who had visit in US lately while processing K1 Visa.

I am not sure I would be paying an attorney that is possibly saying one should lie to CBP.  Since there is an I129F in process, I believe CBP may know about it, so if you are visiting your fiancé, but don't state that and they ask that question specifically, how would you respond then?  As @ToTheMoonAndBack and back said, honesty is the best policy when attempting to enter the country.  Make sure you bring proof of your current ties to Japan in case they ask for them.

Good Luck and Safe Travels!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Pooh said:

Just be honest.

I traveled to US 3 times since we filed. and every time I told them about my fiancé. it was actually easier when I told them the truth.

Don't lie. (I travel from Japan to LAX)

Have a return ticket and ties to your country.

Timeline

Thank you very much for your advice!

Yes! So, I am going to be honest and will tell officer my purpose!

I am going to travel to US with ESTA, however I have B1/B2 Visa. I had got the visa before I met him and it’s not expired yet.so I’ll take the visa with me just in case.

While the attorney did not suggest lying or fraud, he/she is hoping the issue doesn't come up and not providing any information leading to it coming up. That's quite risky IMO. You're not required to disclose information unless asked. At the same time, as others noted, what happens if the line of questioning does go in that direction? Hiding an engagement ring, not mentioning the underlying cause for the trip, etc. is going to be a heck of a ditch to climb out of. While still not "likely", the CBP officer has the ability to issue an expedited deportation at the border, and I think if he/she feels they were being deceived, that risk goes up.

Personally, I would just tell them that you're visiting your fiance while you wait for the K-1 paperwork to complete. Have proof of your ties to to return home, and show them upon request.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline

I am greatful to hear advice from many people!

Yes, I guess our attorney thought any issue doesn’t come up if I did not mention specific information at immigration. But I thought it’s risky too...

From many of your advice, I just be honest at immigration and tell my purpose to see my fiancé. 

Thank you very much!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
2 hours ago, geowrian said:

While the attorney did not suggest lying or fraud, he/she is hoping the issue doesn't come up and not providing any information leading to it coming up. That's quite risky IMO. You're not required to disclose information unless asked. At the same time, as others noted, what happens if the line of questioning does go in that direction? Hiding an engagement ring, not mentioning the underlying cause for the trip, etc. is going to be a heck of a ditch to climb out of. While still not "likely", the CBP officer has the ability to issue an expedited deportation at the border, and I think if he/she feels they were being deceived, that risk goes up.

Personally, I would just tell them that you're visiting your fiance while you wait for the K-1 paperwork to complete. Have proof of your ties to to return home, and show them upon request.

I disagree slightly as to the intention of the attorney.  Assuming this attorney is a good immigration attorney, they should know that the one question that every CBP officer asks is what is your purpose for this visit.  As the OP said, her purpose is the visit her fiancé, so to answer otherwise would be lying at least by omission.  To me, not really good advice by the attorney.  I do agree that there is no need to offer any additional information. 

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Timeline

Thank you all so much for your replies to my question….you’ve helped put my mind at ease. I do want to also clarify my initial email as I feel the sentiment got lost in translation. Our immigration attorney in no way suggested we lie or hide anything. She merely was trying to emphasize for me to wait for customs to ask me the questions they wish to ask and for me not to start volunteering information. I will of course I answer all their questions truthfully….we just are collectively concerned about the chance of not getting in, simply because of where we are in the process, which we are of course doing by the book. Our attorney has been wonderfully helpful and comforting during all this process and we are very grateful to her.

My fiancé and I are also very grateful to all of you for provide your valuable feedback. We are now less nervous after hearing your experiences, so thank you so much for sharing! I will definitely follow your examples, of course including the reason for my visit, and I definitely will be wearing my ring now =)

Thank you all so much and good luck to you too!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Yapp,

just tell them what you are doing. I did the same thing before we got married because my best friend’s wedding was about 2 months before ours and I was the best man. Port of entry was Chicago and honestly, they didn’t really care all that much.

I entered the country legally under the visa waiver program, with no intent to defraud them, no harm done. Left after the wedding was done, and returned with my K1 for my wedding 2 months later. Just make sure you don’t overstay.

You should have nothing to worry about.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.