MrsKhan

What does this mean? Worried!!! [merged threads]

586 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
19 minutes ago, -Trinity- said:

How do you determine that? I mean, most immigrants want to work. If you take a look on this forum you will find tons of threads about people who applied for EAD and waiting before they can start applying for jobs. However, what a lot of USC people don't realize is how hard it is to find a job, especially if you use to have a decent job in your own country, and now have to start from zero.  I don't say it's impossible, where there is a will there is a way, but people can find themselves in circumstances they didn't anticipate beforehand.

I don't know the numbers either, I mentioned earlier in this thread how some places make it very easy to abuse the system by offering free tuition, housing, food etc to people who "think they might be sort of homeless".  As far as I know this applies for people who are US citizens, I don't know if it applies to GC holders too. i saw it in California too, there are special offices for people who are the first ones in their family to study, they qualified for financial aid. i don't know the in's and out's, but to me this was a strange practice.

You also have to consider the way jobs and careers have changed over years. One hundred years ago most jobs were labor or learn through trades. Today in the US culture, a college degree is usually a minimal requirement to earn a decent living here. Most people I know (including myself) with careers have a Masters degree or beyond. (and I am not saying people aren't successful without a degree because my husband has a career with a great company without a formal college degree) but even we talk about him returning to school so he has more options for growth within his company.

Its not just as easy as immigrate here and learn a trade anymore, most jobs have minimal requirements that are very precise. And lets be honest if you are naive to what living a decent life in America cost... it is more expensive then making the minimal requirements for immigration purposes. 

Edited by AshMarty

01/31/17.... K1 Visa Approved

02/03/17.... K1 Visa Received in Hand

06/05/17....Arrived in the USA (LAX)

06/24/17....Married on Cape Cod <3

07/10/17....Sent AOS package (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/17/17.... AOS notice date for NOA1 (I-485, I-131, I-765)

07/21/17.... Received mailed hardcopies of NOA1s

07/29/17.... Biometrics Notice received in mail 

08/01/17.... Biometrics Appointment AOS - complete (walked in)

08/07/17.... Biometrics Appointment EAD - complete (walked in)

10/23/17.... EAD/AP card delivered to house YAY!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I agree with everything you say but it is not OUR problem it is the immigrants problem and they have found 100's of ways around it. many of the charities that bring in immigrants or refugees or whatever you want to call them know of doctors that qwill see these people and say they are diabled and can not work because of a "nervous and ancious condition" Then they apply for soc sec benefits and many get them. I personally know of dozens who have done this leaving us to support them. If the immigrants that came in from Italy and Ireland decades ago when business had signs in the window that read " italians and irish need not apply" found employment and succeeded as did my grandparents then

14 minutes ago, AshMarty said:

You also have to consider the way jobs and careers have changed over years. One hundred years ago most jobs were labor or learn through trades. Today in the US culture, a college degree is usually a minimal requirement to earn a decent living here. Most people I know (including myself) with careers have a Masters degree or beyond. (and I am not saying people aren't successful without a degree because my husband has a career with a great company without a formal college degree) but even we talk about him returning to school so he has more options for growth within his company.

Its not just as easy as immigrate here and learn a trade anymore, most jobs have minimal requirements that are very precise. And lets be honest if you are naive to what living a decent life in America cost... it is more expensive then making the minimal requirements for immigration purposes. 

filed 129 with vermont 4/19/06

first notice 5/3/06?

IMRA RFE 6/19/06

snail mail RFE 6/22/06

returned 6/22/06

email they recieved 6/26/06

second RFE email 7/11/06

recieved 7/22

returned 7/24

touched 7/25

APProved 10/02/06

NVC sent to Moscow 10/17/06

package from Embassy 11/17/06

interview 01/11/07

approved visa 01/11/07

arrived 02/7/07

married 04/13/07

filed AOS 05/13/07

biometrics 06/06/07

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

All that may be true but it is not OUR problem it is theirs just like it was 100 years ago when businesses posted signs in the window that read "Italians and irish need not apply".  They still found jobs and succeded but if we support them then there is no incentive and it costs us billions to support other countries citizens. Not all that come in but many soon find out that with theright doctor they can apply for sec sec disability. I know doaens that have done it and recieved the benefits because of "nerves and anxiety problems". Even in Massachusetss the commonwealth estimates that welfare recipients recieve 51,200 a year in benefits not only in monwey but free medical care, tvs, computers, iphones, internet, food stamps, taxi fares, paid rents etc etc etc. Why should we be supporting these people.

I am all for someone coming here that can work and support themselves. Come on in baby and live a good life

filed 129 with vermont 4/19/06

first notice 5/3/06?

IMRA RFE 6/19/06

snail mail RFE 6/22/06

returned 6/22/06

email they recieved 6/26/06

second RFE email 7/11/06

recieved 7/22

returned 7/24

touched 7/25

APProved 10/02/06

NVC sent to Moscow 10/17/06

package from Embassy 11/17/06

interview 01/11/07

approved visa 01/11/07

arrived 02/7/07

married 04/13/07

filed AOS 05/13/07

biometrics 06/06/07

Timeline
16 minutes ago, edsperfect said:

I agree with everything you say but it is not OUR problem it is the immigrants problem and they have found 100's of ways around it. many of the charities that bring in immigrants or refugees or whatever you want to call them know of doctors that qwill see these people and say they are diabled and can not work because of a "nervous and ancious condition" Then they apply for soc sec benefits and many get them. I personally know of dozens who have done this leaving us to support them. If the immigrants that came in from Italy and Ireland decades ago when business had signs in the window that read " italians and irish need not apply" found employment and succeeded as did my grandparents then

I agree with you. I know a lot of people's are saying we have always had a fairly open immigration system in American and the immigrants have been hard working for 100s of years. My point is that times have changed and its not as simple any more. There are more complex systems in place that make it much more difficult to adapt well and successfully. Being a hard worker doesn't always mean you will adapt well in the US, you need a skill of sorts or to be able to adapt to the system and acquire a skill.

Example: I had to go to school for 7 years and pass multiple licensing exams to use my skill (4 years of college and 3 years of graduate school) my career 70 years ago was a learn on the job skill.  I think it might be time to reassess our immigration and its not a bad thing. Times change and we may need to look at adapting policies to keep up with times, if not then we as a country will struggle. 

I work in health care and am familiar with people that take advantage of the system. 

Basically people, businesses, countries that are successful know they need to adapt with changing times.  

Edited by AshMarty

Filed: F-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
13 minutes ago, AshMarty said:

You're right, it's a minimal requirements, for most jobs to have atleast atleast an AS.

Some employers even ask for a bachelor for jobs that really don't need such a degree, with a preference for a Master's. But they pay just $25,000 a year...

I believe it's safe to say there is a discrepancy between the minimum financial requirements and what living in America really costs. I also believe that this need to be changed, make it more realistic so people can make a solid choice. America isn't the land of opportunities any longer, most people won't become a millionaire by just having a "great idea". 

A good example is that F-1 students only need to proof that they meet minimal financial requirements for the first year. When I lived in LA that was for some colleges as low as $16000 a year. This includes tuiton, rent, food, gas.

That's just not realistic. Same for petitioning for a spouse or other family members. The minimum requirements are a joke if you consider how expensive living here is, and if you're not relying on government support that's definitely not enough. 

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg

Timeline
19 minutes ago, edsperfect said:

There is a slight difference between an immigrant and a refugee.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/01/30/key-facts-about-refugees-to-the-u-s/

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg

39 minutes ago, AshMarty said:

I am surrounded by people some of who did not finish high school who make 150K+ a year. There is a huge demand for skilled workers, and almost every city of any size has good technical schools, that you can usually do in a year or less. Its nothing for good electricians, computer, sheet metal,welders, HVAC, fabricators to make 70-80K + a year. Skilled trades are just as in demand if not more. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

I am surrounded by people some of who did not finish high school who make 150K+ a year. There is a huge demand for skilled workers, and almost every city of any size has good technical schools, that you can usually do in a year or less. Its nothing for good electricians, computer, sheet metal,welders, HVAC, fabricators to make 70-80K + a year. Skilled trades are just as in demand if not more. 

Agree, I know several people who haven't finished college but they are making something between 70-150 K a year, and I know people who finished a BS or Masters and they are struggling to find a decent paying job. 

image-2017-12-29 (1).jpg

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

Again I am not disagreeing with you my father and my husband are carpenters by trade (My husband was required to do trade education for 4 years post his high school education in Australia) and I love that he can fix anything in the house. But again they need to go to technical schools or programs or have learned skills. For many trades you still need to pass a test to be licensed within that state. It is again an acquired skilled that  requires learning that is regulated not as simple as just coming here like it used to be. 

Even hair dressers have to be licensed from state to state and have schooling that supports their licensed within that state. I just had a friend that moved to Maryland from North Carolina and will have to go to beauty school again because her license didn't transfer from North Carolina to Maryland. 

The systems are a lot more complex then they were 100 years ago. My statement was that you need to have a skill or the ability to acquire a skill set to come here. I believe trades are part of those skills. 

Edited by AshMarty

4 minutes ago, Nature Boy Flair said:

This is very true as well. Skilled workers with just a HS diploma and some technical training/certifications are making close to and over a $100k a year. I have a friend of mine from HS who I talk to regularly who when I last talked to him had 2 HVAC companies literally trying to outbid each other for him to come work for them. He did not go to a university but a technical school and gets paid probably more than I do working on industrial/large-home HVAC systems. Skilled trades training are coming back in to focus because not everyone can go to a 4 year college/university and we still need to do those high skilled jobs.

6 minutes ago, AshMarty said:

Again I am not disagreeing with you my father and my husband are carpenters by trade (My husband was required to do trade education for 4 years post his high school education in Australia) and I love that he can fix anything in the house. But again they need to go to technical schools or programs or have learned skills. For many trades you still need to pass a test to be licensed within that state. It is again an acquired skilled that  requires learning that is regulated not as simple as just coming here like it used to be. 

Even hair dressers have to be licensed from state to state and have schooling that supports their licensed within that state. I just had a friend that moved to Maryland from North Carolina and will have to go to beauty school again because her license didn't transfer from North Carolina to Maryland. 

The systems are a lot more complex then they were 100 years ago. 

That's because some states are more stricter than others in regards to rules/regulations. But usually the licenses like that having to do with cosmetology are only state specific and do not transfer at all. But to completely have to redo beauty school is asinine to say the least and probably a Maryland only thing.

Timeline
1 minute ago, cyberfx1024 said:

That's because some states are more stricter than others in regards to rules/regulations. But usually the licenses like that having to do with cosmetology are only state specific and do not transfer at all. But to completely have to redo beauty school is asinine to say the least and probably a Maryland only thing.

Not saying its a great system but it is the reality of living in the US. Which plays exactly to why immigrating here is more difficult now then it was 100s of years ago. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
9 minutes ago, AshMarty said:

The systems are a lot more complex then they were 100 years ago. My statement was that you need to have a skill to come here. I believe trades are part of those skills. 

When I was told you had to be licensed to be a Hair Dresser I thought somebody was pulling my leg.

They live to nickle and dime you.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Boiler said:

When I was told you had to be licensed to be a Hair Dresser I thought somebody was pulling my leg.

They live to nickle and dime you.

I know when I was told that she can't do people's hair in Maryland for this reason my mouth dropped! 

Edited by AshMarty

Just now, AshMarty said:

Not saying its a great system but it is the reality of living in the US. Which plays exactly to why immigrating here is more difficult now then it was 100s of years ago. 

That is very true. But it is true how certain states love to nickle and dime you for anything and everything they can. That is one reason why I just moved from CA to NC last month, CA will nickle and dime you for EVERYTHING until you die and then ask your family to pay a death tax.