emcfee

Will my (US citizen) criminal record affect our potential approval?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello from Colombia. I am new to all of this and, I am sure like many of you, very overwhelmed by this whole process. Does anyone know to what end the criminal record information is used in the evaluation process? I was arrested in the year 2000 (more than half my lifetime ago) and charged with posession with intent to distribute of marijuana, ecstasy, and cocaine, as well as posession of a stolen credit card. I of course do not plan to try to hide this in the application process, and am in the process of securing all of the necessary paperwork that I need to submit. 

I am worried that this will negatively impact our changes in my fiance receiving the K1 visa. While this was the stupidity of a 19 year old girl who made a bad choice in boyfriends (I have been a "model citizen" ever since - taxes, graduate degrees, consistent professional career, etc.), Colombia tends to carry this stigma related to drugs. I wonder if anyone has any thoughts/data on how my criminal background might affect our chances? My fiancé (a Colombian) has no record or any sort of problems in Colombia. 

Thank you for any advice or experiences that you have time to share. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiancé has a background. I won’t go into detail. 

People from prison are able to successfully petition for their fiancé. I have read A LOT on this same matter. On VJ, the internet and Facebook. Some unfortunately are put into AP for a long period. 

many people come on here, obtain advice and never come back to say how they got on. 

Your fiancé will be questioned. My fiancé has told me everything, and we will be putting a letter together which I will take to my interview to show that I’m aware. 

We sent everything with the 129-f. My noa2 has been approved, and hopefully I will have my interview in March. So make to follow my timeline and I’ll let you know how I get on. @emcfee

Timeline
11 minutes ago, KandW said:

Thank you very much for the comment @KandW. I will be sure to keep posting so that others will see my progress as well!

Edited by emcfee

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
11 hours ago, emcfee said:

Hello from Colombia. I am new to all of this and, I am sure like many of you, very overwhelmed by this whole process. Does anyone know to what end the criminal record information is used in the evaluation process? I was arrested in the year 2000 (more than half my lifetime ago) and charged with posession with intent to distribute of marijuana, ecstasy, and cocaine, as well as posession of a stolen credit card. I of course do not plan to try to hide this in the application process, and am in the process of securing all of the necessary paperwork that I need to submit. 

I am worried that this will negatively impact our changes in my fiance receiving the K1 visa. While this was the stupidity of a 19 year old girl who made a bad choice in boyfriends (I have been a "model citizen" ever since - taxes, graduate degrees, consistent professional career, etc.), Colombia tends to carry this stigma related to drugs. I wonder if anyone has any thoughts/data on how my criminal background might affect our chances? My fiancé (a Colombian) has no record or any sort of problems in Colombia. 

Thank you for any advice or experiences that you have time to share. 

Hi, I have similar circumstances. A felony robbery conviction that occurred 40 years ago. Im sweating it a bit but we will see. My fiance and i are just about to start the medical then interview phase next week so my fingers are crossed. I will for sure let you know how it goes.

I have seen CBP in the past give a hard time to girls who come into the USA especially from Philippines,  Los Angles Port of Entry had an officer try to talk a K1 girl into going back home to Philippines, since her fiancé had a arrest for fighting.  They had her crying in the airport

Just when you think you have TDS eradicate,  a new case shows up.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 1/22/2018 at 10:05 PM, LjpRch said:

Hi, I have similar circumstances. A felony robbery conviction that occurred 40 years ago. Im sweating it a bit but we will see. My fiance and i are just about to start the medical then interview phase next week so my fingers are crossed. I will for sure let you know how it goes.

Hi again, hope your still hanging in there! we went through the interview this morning and the interviewer didnt even mention my criminal record. :whistle:

so all is good now and we will both be on a plane back home soon....

Good luck!

Timeline

@LjpRch I am so happy to hear your good news! Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know, and all the best to you both in your love and travels!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.