29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
1 hour ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

So tell us what is correct then and not just say "it's not correct". Be advised that recruiters have been known to lie as well. 

That is why I am asking for 1st hand experience obviously I do not have it. That is the reason for my question. 

31 minutes ago, Jesus is Love said:

That is why I am asking for 1st hand experience obviously I do not have it. That is the reason for my question. 

All you have to do is look on the military's official websites. Not sure what kind of info you're looking for. People gave you accurate answers and yet you don't like them, so you're hoping someone will tell you what you want to hear.

https://www.airforce.com/how-to-join/prepare-for-success/meet-requirements

AIR FORCE - " Enlistment into the Air Force by citizens of countries other than the United States is limited to foreign nationals who are legally residing in the United States and possess a valid Permanent Resident Card (USCIS Form I-551), commonly known as a “Green Card”. More than two years of eligibility remaining prior to expiration of one's Green Card is required

Which means - you need to have 10 YEAR GREEN CARD to join Air Force. 2 year green card is NOT good enough.

https://www.navy.mil/navydata/nav_legacy.asp?id=167

"Enlistment into the U.S. Navy, or any branch of the U.S. military, by citizens of countries other than the United States is limited to those foreign nationals who are legally residing in the United States and possess an Immigration and Naturalization Service Alien Registration Card (INS Form I-151/551 � commonly known as a "Green Card"). "

Which means - you can join navy with your Green Card.

https://www.usa.gov/join-military

"

You do not have to be a U.S. citizen to enlist in the military, but you may have fewer options. If you are not a U.S. citizen, you must:

• Have a permanent resident card, also known as a Green Card

• Currently live in the U.S.

• Speak, read, and write English fluently"

Which means - you can join the army with your Green Card.

You CANNOT become an officer in any of those branches WITHOUT US CITIZENSHIP.

As ENLISTED even then some jobs will be forbidden to you without US citizenship.

ADDITIONALY

"Conditional resident aliens are identified by possessing USCIS I-551 cards that expire two years from the date of issuance. If you are in a “conditional” permanent resident alien status based upon your marriage to a United States citizen, you are eligible to DEP and leave for boot camp provided your marital status does not change prior to leaving for boot camp. If before leaving for boot camp, you become legally separated, divorced, or you are unable to locate your spouse, you would no longer enlistment eligible because you would be subject to the potential loss of legal residency status that could lead to deportation. In such cases, you may become enlistment eligible upon USCIS issuance of a standard USCIS I-551 card with an expiration date ten years from the date of issuance. "

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Timeline
21 minutes ago, Roel said:

All you have to do is look on the military's official websites. Not sure what kind of info you're looking for. People gave you accurate answers and yet you don't like them, so you're hoping someone will tell you what you want to hear.

https://www.airforce.com/how-to-join/prepare-for-success/meet-requirements

AIR FORCE - " Enlistment into the Air Force by citizens of countries other than the United States is limited to foreign nationals who are legally residing in the United States and possess a valid Permanent Resident Card (USCIS Form I-551), commonly known as a “Green Card”. More than two years of eligibility remaining prior to expiration of one's Green Card is required

Which means - you need to have 10 YEAR GREEN CARD to join Air Force. 2 year green card is NOT good enough.

https://www.navy.mil/navydata/nav_legacy.asp?id=167

"Enlistment into the U.S. Navy, or any branch of the U.S. military, by citizens of countries other than the United States is limited to those foreign nationals who are legally residing in the United States and possess an Immigration and Naturalization Service Alien Registration Card (INS Form I-151/551 � commonly known as a "Green Card"). "

Which means - you can join navy with your Green Card.

https://www.usa.gov/join-military

"

You do not have to be a U.S. citizen to enlist in the military, but you may have fewer options. If you are not a U.S. citizen, you must:

• Have a permanent resident card, also known as a Green Card

• Currently live in the U.S.

• Speak, read, and write English fluently"

Which means - you can join the army with your Green Card.

You CANNOT become an officer in any of those branches WITHOUT US CITIZENSHIP.

As ENLISTED even then some jobs will be forbidden to you without US citizenship.

ADDITIONALY

"Conditional resident aliens are identified by possessing USCIS I-551 cards that expire two years from the date of issuance. If you are in a “conditional” permanent resident alien status based upon your marriage to a United States citizen, you are eligible to DEP and leave for boot camp provided your marital status does not change prior to leaving for boot camp. If before leaving for boot camp, you become legally separated, divorced, or you are unable to locate your spouse, you would no longer enlistment eligible because you would be subject to the potential loss of legal residency status that could lead to deportation. In such cases, you may become enlistment eligible upon USCIS issuance of a standard USCIS I-551 card with an expiration date ten years from the date of issuance. "

How is it accurate if it is contradicting? How is me asking for first hand experience and not word of mouth me wanting to hear what I want? That makes no sense whatsoever! lol 

The recruiters are not always honest and the internet is not always 100% forth coming either. 

Also you can enter these branches only after you have resided in the US for a year (according to a recruiter). 

The only way to get real answers real time is to ask someone who has been through the situation which is what I am doing. Now if you don't have that then keep scrolling, but thank you for the information I have already read. 

**That bottom portion of boot camp, was told other wise by a recruiter so once again seeking first hand experience***

Edited by Jesus is Love

4 minutes ago, Jesus is Love said:

How is it accurate if it is contradicting? How is me asking for first hand experience and not word of mouth me wanting to hear what I want?

This is NOT the word of mouth. Those information are from official source and as such should be the ones you're listening to.

The recruiters are not always honest and the internet is not always 100% forth coming either. 

Again, official site.

Also you can enter these branches only after you have resided in the US for a year (according to a recruiter). 

So? You can enter Army and Navy with 2 year green card, you can enter Air Force with 10 year green card. That's it. End of story. Not all recruiters are fluid in immigration stuff and/or admitting foreigners. They mostly deal with US citizens after all.

And you can only join as enlisted, not an officer.

The only way to get real answers real time is to ask someone who has been through the situation which is what I am doing.

Looking at official websites is the way to get real answers.

Not sure how's that so complicated...

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cameroon
Timeline
42 minutes ago, Jesus is Love said:

How is it accurate if it is contradicting? How is me asking for first hand experience and not word of mouth me wanting to hear what I want? That makes no sense whatsoever! lol 

The only way to get real answers real time is to ask someone who has been through the situation which is what I am doing. Now if you don't have that then keep scrolling, but thank you for the information I have already read. 

**That bottom portion of boot camp, was told other wise by a recruiter so once again seeking first hand experience***

@Roel is spot on right and that’s exactly what we have been telling you here. The information she posted isn’t some random internet stuff but from the official sites of the U.S. Navy, Army, Marines and Air Force. The recruiters don’t make the rules of eligibility, they’re made by the military and recruiters have been very misinformed at times regarding immigration. Not surprisingly they mostly deal with U.S. citizens.

This is not our first rodeo on visa journey with this particular question. We’ve seen it over the years and the eligibility has always stayed thesame. What has changed of recent is the policy guidelines regarding background check clearance and shipment of recruits, naturalization eligibility and cancellation of the MAVNI program. If you think there’s some other version out there that’s your perogative and good luck.

Edited by Starkilla09

Adjustment of Status From F-1 Visa.

8/14/2014: Mailed AOS package: I-130, I-485, I-765.

8/18/2014: Accepted in Chicago. Transferred to Nebraska Service Center.

8/21/2014: Received NOA 1. I-130, I-485, I-765 in mail.

8/25/2014: Received biometrics in mail. Scheduled for 9/8/2014

9/24/2014: EAD approved. 36 Days!

10/01/2014: EAD mailed.

10/03/2014: Received EAD card.

10/14/2014: I-485 moved to testing and interview.

1/28/2015: Interview scheduled for 3/4/2015.

1/31/2015: Received interview notice.

3/4/2015: Interview completed and APPROVED!

3/5/2015: Welcome notice mailed and I-130 Approved.

3/10/2015: Welcome notice and I-130 approval notice received.

3/12/2015: Green card mailed.

3/14/2015: Green card delivered.

Removal of Conditions: 

12/14/2016: Mailed I-751.

12/19/2016: NOA issued.

01/26/2017: Biometrics.

05/03/2018: I-751 transfered to NBC.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 Interview.

05/14/2019: I-751 APPROVED.

Naturalization:

12/02/2017: Mailed N 400 to Phoenix, AZ Lockbox. (I-751 still pending)

12/05/2017: Package delivered in Phoenix, AZ. Transferred to Harrisonburg Processing Center.

12/07/2017: Notice of action issued. (IOE)

12/26/2017: Biometrics.

01/23/2019: Interview Scheduled for 2/27/2019.

02/27/2019: Joint I-751/N-400 interview. N-400 recommended for approval.

05/16/2019: N-400 APPROVED! Placed in line for oath ceremony.

05/17/2019: Oath ceremony notice mailed.

06/12/2019: Swearing in Ceremony! Finally a U.S. citizen!

Timeline

All of this is my prerogative...thank you....so if asking for 1st hand experience offends you because you have copied and pasted from the website then that is yours. You can have plenty of years on the internet but me wanting to hear a story of someone who has actually went through the steps instead of googling does no harm at all. If you want to point me to one of these post of first hand Enlistments then that would be helpful if not badgering me is not getting anywhere. 

Have a great day 😀 

There's plenty of ways to get accurate information other than 1st hand experience.

Also, not every individual's experience is the same even with similar circumstances.

Reminder that it is against the TOS to inhibit or instruct others not to respond.

If something is against the TOS, you can report it. Otherwise, you are free to ignore any posts.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

The items posted above are posted from the same manual that the recruiters are supposedly reading and following.   First hand experience is a snapshot of what was valid at that time not now.  I could tell you that I passed over the Bridge into Canada with my resident alien spouse and came back without showing ID for anyone.  That is a fact and first hand experience but has little to do with the current process and procedures.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

1 hour ago, Jesus is Love said:

so if asking for 1st hand experience offends you because you have copied and pasted from the website

Yes.. not some random websites or blogs. Actual military recruitment websites. o.O If you don't think those are accurate, then good luck.

People who went through those steps will tell you the same requirements since they are the same for all foreigners trying to enlist...

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

Timeline

So why continue to reply telling me good luck. I have read what you sent and even thanked you. I hope you are not that big headed to still try to deter me from hearing someone else first hand experience whether it is from 5 years ago or 1 day ago. You are being extremely extra and childish o_O. You said your piece and much more. I have asked for mine and yet you still insist on pushing....let it go lol I want FIRST HAND TESTIMONIES...if anyone has them...thank you 🙂

Edited by Jesus is Love

1 hour ago, Jesus is Love said:

So why continue to reply telling me good luck. I have read what you sent and even thanked you. I hope you are not that big headed to still try to deter me from hearing someone else first hand experience whether it is from 5 years ago or 1 day ago. You are being extremely extra and childish o_O. You said your piece and much more. I have asked for mine and yet you still insist on pushing....let it go lol I want FIRST HAND TESTIMONIES...if anyone has them...thank you 🙂

Are you expecting they will tell you something else ? They won't because those are official guidelines for joining the military as a green card holder... everyone joins the same way. 

Are you a green card holder already? 

If I tell you my husband is in the military 11 years now and I spoke to recruiter at one point will that make me more creditable? 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

Timeline

See that is what you keep referring to. This has nothing to do with your credibility! This has nothing to do with you let up off of it already this is tiresome and you have way to much time on your hands. I have already received messages from fellow VJ members sharing their experiences. Hopefully more will share as well. I am not asking for specific details I have already completed all of that research on my own! I simply want what I ask for and will no longer repeat myself to you because I simply do not have the time for it. Once again thank you for you "insight"! Have a great rest of your day/life 🙂

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
15 hours ago, Londonergirl said:

@Jesus is Love Did you manage to talk to someone that could answer your questions? 

Yes I had a few responses since this post. My husbands interview is soon so we will sit down with a recruiter upon his arrival and hopefully bring some more insight to VJ. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.