20 posts in this topic

Hey, I've been going well without really needing to get help thus far however have fun into a bit of a pickle getting my head around the U.S Tax System.

My wife is a U.S Citizen and I moved to the U.S on a K1 Visa at the end of June 2017. We got married at the end of July 2017 and within the next month had filed for my AOS and EAD. Both are still being processed at this time and we're wondering how to go forward with filing our taxes. I DO have a SSN. However without the EAD for DHS authorization, have not been allowed to work. I've been living in the U.S since June 26th of 2017 but have not had any income whatsoever, only my wife has an income currently.

I have a few primary concerns:

• Having only been living in the U.S since the end of June 2017, do i have to be included in the taxes anyway since I haven't been here the whole year?
    • And if I do have to file for taxes am I allowed to file jointly with my wife or did marrying in July make it too late in the year to file?
  • Do I need to get a ITIN if I already have a SSN?
  • If I am required to file, and can file jointly with my wife, am i required to include savings located in my old ISA from the UK?

I don't know if there's anything I need to be aware of, or any questions I haven't asked that need answering, please do comment with extra details if you know them. This will only be my wife's second time filing for taxes and my first so we're really inexperienced and could use all the help we can get.
Thank you

- J Sarge

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, J Sarge said:

Hey, I've been going well without really needing to get help thus far however have fun into a bit of a pickle getting my head around the U.S Tax System.

My wife is a U.S Citizen and I moved to the U.S on a K1 Visa at the end of June 2017. We got married at the end of July 2017 and within the next month had filed for my AOS and EAD. Both are still being processed at this time and we're wondering how to go forward with filing our taxes. I DO have a SSN. However without the EAD for DHS authorization, have not been allowed to work. I've been living in the U.S since June 26th of 2017 but have not had any income whatsoever, only my wife has an income currently.

I have a few primary concerns:

• Having only been living in the U.S since the end of June 2017, do i have to be included in the taxes anyway since I haven't been here the whole year?
    • And if I do have to file for taxes am I allowed to file jointly with my wife or did marrying in July make it too late in the year to file?
  • Do I need to get a ITIN if I already have a SSN?
  • If I am required to file, and can file jointly with my wife, am i required to include savings located in my old ISA from the UK?

I don't know if there's anything I need to be aware of, or any questions I haven't asked that need answering, please do comment with extra details if you know them. This will only be my wife's second time filing for taxes and my first so we're really inexperienced and could use all the help we can get.
Thank you

- J Sarge

1) Yes

1a) Filing status is based on your marital status as of the lastday of the year

2) no

3) filing jointly means you include your worldwide income (not savings on previously taxed income)

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

1.  Filing status is based on your status on December 31, 2016.

2.  If you have SSN, you do not need a ITIN.

3.  Saving is not taxed....only income

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, missileman said:

1.  Filing status is based on your status on December 31, 2016.

2.  If you have SSN, you do not need a ITIN.

3.  Saving is not taxed....only income

I hope you meant December 31, 2017

YMMV

2 minutes ago, payxibka said:

3) filing jointly means you include your worldwide income (not savings on previously taxed income)

I did work from January through to May 2017. Does this mean I need to include those in my taxes. Or because it was previously taxed by the UK do i just ignore it?

Timeline

You need to include it and then take the appropriate credit for foreign tax paid that is allowed

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
4 minutes ago, payxibka said:

I hope you meant December 31, 2017

yes.  Thanks.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

5 minutes ago, payxibka said:

You need to include it and then take the appropriate credit for foreign tax paid that is allowed

So i need to send off "Form 1116, Foreign Tax Credit" alongside Form 1040?

Timeline
5 minutes ago, J Sarge said:

So i need to send off "Form 1116, Foreign Tax Credit" alongside Form 1040?

This is one situation where you might find MFS to provide a lower combined tax liability.  You should do the compare and select the one that results in the lower liability

YMMV

1 minute ago, payxibka said:

This is one situation where you might find MFS to provide a lower combined tax liability.  You should do the compare and select the one that results in the lower liability

"MFS"? And compare what to result in a lower liability? Sorry I'm really not at all familiar with anything U.S Tax-related.

Timeline
1 minute ago, J Sarge said:

"MFS"? And compare what to result in a lower liability? Sorry I'm really not at all familiar with anything U.S Tax-related.

MFS is Married filing Separate.  You are not required to file a joint return.  There are circumstances where two separate returns will calculate a lower liability than a joint return.  It is dependent on many variables and this might be one where the result of separate returns would be favorable

YMMV

Just now, payxibka said:

MFS is Married filing Separate.  You are not required to file a joint return.  There are circumstances where two separate returns will calculate a lower liability than a joint return.  It is dependent on many variables and this might be one where the result of separate returns would be favorable

Alright I'll look into it. Thank you for the help. :)

8 minutes ago, payxibka said:

It is dependent on many variables and this might be one where the result of separate returns would be favorable

Do you know of anywhere that I could compare, with relative ease, the pros/cons of filing as MFC or Join?

Timeline
Just now, J Sarge said:

Do you know of anywhere that I could compare, with relative ease, the pros/cons of filing as MFC or Join?

It is all fact dependent, so you would just need to prepare it both ways.  A turbotax type product might be able to help you but you will need to use your exact facts

YMMV

Just now, payxibka said:

It is all fact dependent, so you would just need to prepare it both ways.  A turbotax type product might be able to help you but you will need to use your exact facts

Okay, thank you for helping.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.