pajobra

January 2018 AOS Filers

2,904 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, twoDs said:

Checked the tracker this morning and it's showing the EAD card was issued today,

so that's good news. At least maybe we can get the driver's license renewed now (I hope.)

So another Jan 2 NOA1 with an EAD here.

Nothing on AP, which is what we're really waiting for.

Our case number on the 485 has triggered errors on the tracking site for months no change there.

Often they never update AP. Likely you will just get the combo card in the mail. :) Congrats!!! So happy for your wife!

2 hours ago, twoDs said:

Checked the tracker this morning and it's showing the EAD card was issued today,

so that's good news. At least maybe we can get the driver's license renewed now (I hope.)

So another Jan 2 NOA1 with an EAD here.

Nothing on AP, which is what we're really waiting for.

Our case number on the 485 has triggered errors on the tracking site for months no change there.

Check on the online tracker site where you have to enter the security code. My AP only got marked as "approved" in there. Anything else is still on received.

Congratulations! :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, pajobra said:

Often they never update AP. Likely you will just get the combo card in the mail. :) Congrats!!! So happy for your wife!

I sure hope that's the case! Of course if it is she'll be gone most of the summer.

28 minutes ago, TearsOfBabylon said:

Check on the online tracker site where you have to enter the security code. My AP only got marked as "approved" in there. Anything else is still on received.

Congratulations! :)

Do you have a link to that site? Everything I search for brings me to the usual one ( https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do )

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
43 minutes ago, twoDs said:

I sure hope that's the case! Of course if it is she'll be gone most of the summer.

Do you have a link to that site? Everything I search for brings me to the usual one ( https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do )

Hello,

Here you go: https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/

The egov site never updated when my AP was approved and even until today. The DHS has been the one up to date so far.

Congrats to your wife

01/08/2018: Priority Date

01/19/2018: Checks cashed

01/22/2018: 3 NOA's received in Mail (I-130, I-485 and I-765)

02/09/201: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter scheduled for 02/22

02/10/2018: Email notification of RFIE :(

02/12/2018: Early walk-in for Biometrics, successful

02/16/2018: RFIE received for birth certificate and translation, sent back the same day

02/20/2018: RFIE response delivered, sent via Fedex

02/23/2018: Case status updated to RFIE response received

03/05/2018: Courtesy letter for I-693, medical exam received, letter dated Feb 28th

03/08/2018: AP application delivered by Fedex

03/19/2018: NOA for AP received in the mailbox

05/03/2018: AP ONLY approved (Approved in 56 days)

05/11/2018: AP received in Mail

05/21/2018: Email received,EAD card in production (Day 133)

05/22/2018: Interview scheduled

05/25/2018: EAD approval letter received in Mail

05/29/2018: EAD card and letter for interview (Jun.26th) both received in Mail, Woot woot :)

06/26/2018: Interview completed, now waiting for the magical email/letter...

10/30/2018: Went to Infopass, officer has not made a decision yet, an email was sent to him tell him I came to inquire

03/26/2019: Moved so updated our address online with USCIS

04/16/2019: I-130 petition approved

04/20/2019: approval notice received in the mail

04/22/2019: received notification of RFE for AOS I-485

06/01/2019: RFE finally received after being lost in the mail, asking for a new medical exam

06/06/2019: Response to RFE sent, received the next day 06/07/2019

06/17/2019: Received notification of another RFE, 3rd time will be the charm hopefully

06/22/2019: RFE received for new medical

07/02/2019: Went to doctor for new medical

07/11/2019: I-485 approved without new medical exam

07/18/2019: Green Card received in mail

23 hours ago, ChristaandJosh said:

When did you file?

Congrats!

I'm an April filer and my case status just went to "Ready to schedule interview" last night. 🤞 

Thanks! My PD date was January 9. it took about 4 months.

Yeah, soon u will receive the interview letter and then it should move quickly for you

Well folks, 

I have spent the past two days crying. Immediately upon arrival, my husband and I were separated (I'm the USC). His interview lasted almost 2 hours. Mine lasted  about an hour. They told him we didn't have enough evidence to have a bona fide marriage because we don't live together (I had two miscarriages, went through double depression, and he moved out because I basically went nuts--now we're in marriage counseling and working it through) and it would be denied. When I went in for my interview, I explained to them WHY he moved out (he hadn't) and they seemed much more understanding. But then they pulled out this giant letter and said, "Did you know your mom withdrew her AOS and wrote this?" and my horrible mother wrote like a 20 page letter saying he beat me and forced me into helping him get a green card!!! 

So they said they will mail us an RFE, where we will submit a statement about our marriage explaining stuff, and then we need to show more intermingling finances. We have a joint lease and joint bank account, but since he doesn't live with me it doesn't really matter and since he never used his card (we always shopped together!) then the bank statements don't matter. I. Want. To. SCREAM.

So my question is, if I bought us life insurance or got a will made up and some other things that have us both on it, would that look more suspicious since it's post-interview? Or would it not really matter since life insurance, wills, legal contracts, etc really isn't something to mess around with?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
5 hours ago, Journey to Wells said:

Well folks, 

I have spent the past two days crying. Immediately upon arrival, my husband and I were separated (I'm the USC). His interview lasted almost 2 hours. Mine lasted  about an hour. They told him we didn't have enough evidence to have a bona fide marriage because we don't live together (I had two miscarriages, went through double depression, and he moved out because I basically went nuts--now we're in marriage counseling and working it through) and it would be denied. When I went in for my interview, I explained to them WHY he moved out (he hadn't) and they seemed much more understanding. But then they pulled out this giant letter and said, "Did you know your mom withdrew her AOS and wrote this?" and my horrible mother wrote like a 20 page letter saying he beat me and forced me into helping him get a green card!!! 

So they said they will mail us an RFE, where we will submit a statement about our marriage explaining stuff, and then we need to show more intermingling finances. We have a joint lease and joint bank account, but since he doesn't live with me it doesn't really matter and since he never used his card (we always shopped together!) then the bank statements don't matter. I. Want. To. SCREAM.

So my question is, if I bought us life insurance or got a will made up and some other things that have us both on it, would that look more suspicious since it's post-interview? Or would it not really matter since life insurance, wills, legal contracts, etc really isn't something to mess around with?

I am sorry you are going through all of this. It sounds as if you have had some extremely difficult times recently. And I am also sorry for your losses.

As for what to do regarding the RFE.....

Are you and your husband living together? (That is actually extremely important.....it shows a real supportive relationship where both members of the "team" are connected and in a relationship). If you are not living together....it should probably be your first  (and most important goal).

Secondly....you are going to have to find a Co sponsor if you do not make enough money....USCIS will deny you without this.

Thirdly...you can combine your assets, bills, get insurance together....etc

Fourthly....the most difficult  (and most important)......your mother has written a letter saying you have been abused by your husband. If that is, in fact, true...you truly do not need to worry about how to adjust his status.....you need to worry about yourself....

I wish you the absolute best. 

Janet 

1 minute ago, janet3 said:

I am sorry you are going through all of this. It sounds as if you have had some extremely difficult times recently. And I am also sorry for your losses.

As for what to do regarding the RFE.....

Are you and your husband living together? (That is actually extremely important.....it shows a real supportive relationship where both members of the "team" are connected and in a relationship). If you are not living together....it should probably be your first  (and most important goal).

Secondly....you are going to have to find a Co sponsor if you do not make enough money....USCIS will deny you without this.

Thirdly...you can combine your assets, bills, get insurance together....etc

Fourthly....the most difficult  (and most important)......your mother has written a letter saying you have been abused by your husband. If that is, in fact, true...you truly do not need to worry about how to adjust his status.....you need to worry about yourself....

I wish you the absolute best. 

Janet 

No, currently my husband lives at a homeless shelter :( However, we are with each other daily and spend most of our time together. We separated due to the suggestion of our marriage counselor. 

I'm working on finding a cosponsor. Not too worried about this one!

Will suddenly getting insurance together, wills, etc. look really guilty?

No, my mom lied about me being abused because her and I got into a big fight and she did it to spite me. SHE is the one who has abused me for literally 18 years of my life.

Timeline
6 hours ago, Journey to Wells said:

Well folks, 

Hello,

Im sincerely sorry for what you are going thru and your losses.  Take a deep breath and take it 1 step at a time, you guys can sort this out.

The first thing is residence I am not sure how possible it is for your husband to move back gradually with you, I believe this is the number one reason (and your mother's statement) why they both grilled you for that long. Maybe discuss options and possibilities with your marriage counselor on how soon that can be done for both of you guys sanity.

Now second part the finances: I believe the life insurance, bills, credit cards with both names is a good idea because they did ask you to show intermingling of finances  in the statement you will mail back, so it is expected of you to show efforts and get things done. Also please make an effort to both use the joint account or else it is useless. I believe this was also another red flag but since you do not live together it makes sense. But you said you guys always shop together, have him sometimes pay instead of you, it will show activity on his card.

The will in my humble opinion may look fishy, but again its never too early to make one, but like you mentioned the timing me be off.

I really hope you get things sorted out and are able to get your approval after the response to the RFE.

God bless

02/16/2018: RFIE received for birth certificate and translation, sent back the same day

03/05/2018: Courtesy letter for I-693, medical exam received, letter dated Feb 28th

05/29/2018: EAD card and letter for interview (Jun.26th) both received in Mail, Woot woot :)

10/30/2018: Went to Infopass, officer has not made a decision yet, an email was sent to him tell him I came to inquire

06/01/2019: RFE finally received after being lost in the mail, asking for a new medical exam

06/17/2019: Received notification of another RFE, 3rd time will be the charm hopefully

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Journey to Wells said:

No, currently my husband lives at a homeless shelter :( However, we are with each other daily and spend most of our time together. We separated due to the suggestion of our marriage counselor. 

I'm working on finding a cosponsor. Not too worried about this one!

Will suddenly getting insurance together, wills, etc. look really guilty?

No, my mom lied about me being abused because her and I got into a big fight and she did it to spite me. SHE is the one who has abused me for literally 18 years of my life.

Your counselor has given advice on the information provided to him/her. If you trust your counselor, you should follow his/her advice. However, USCIS will have a difficult time believing you are in a real marriage if your husband is living in a homeless shelter.

I also believe there is SO MUCH MORE to this....and I truly think your first priority should be YOU. Please stay safe and do what is best for YOU.

3 minutes ago, Nouchigang said:

Hello,

Im sincerely sorry for what you are going thru and your losses.  Take a deep breath and take it 1 step at a time, you guys can sort this out.

The first thing is residence I am not sure how possible it is for your husband to move back gradually with you, I believe this is the number one reason (and your mother's statement) why they both grilled you for that long. Maybe discuss options and possibilities with your marriage counselor on how soon that can be done for both of you guys sanity.

Now second part the finances: I believe the life insurance, bills, credit cards with both names is a good idea because they did ask you to show intermingling of finances  in the statement you will mail back, so it is expected of you to show efforts and get things done. Also please make an effort to both use the joint account or else it is useless. I believe this was also another red flag but since you do not live together it makes sense. But you said you guys always shop together, have him sometimes pay instead of you, it will show activity on his card.

The will in my humble opinion may look fishy, but again its never too early to make one, but like you mentioned the timing me be off.

I really hope you get things sorted out and are able to get your approval after the response to the RFE.

God bless

Thank you for your response! Do you think me getting a letter from my counselor and one from my pastor about my miscarriage will help so they know that the reason we have temporarily separated was legitimate?

Just now, janet3 said:

Your counselor has given advice on the information provided to him/her. If you trust your counselor, you should follow his/her advice. However, USCIS will have a difficult time believing you are in a real marriage if your husband is living in a homeless shelter.

I also believe there is SO MUCH MORE to this....and I truly think your first priority should be YOU. Please stay safe and do what is best for YOU.

Yeah... I know. It's all so difficult. 

My husband is truly the gentlest, kindest man to walk this planet. It's me that's the loco one because of my severe past of abuse from my mom. In my previous relationship, she beat me in front a neighbor and I had to be literally snuck out of the state. My mom then wrote threat letters to my university AND my church! So this isn't uncommon for my mom, but it probably does look crazy suspicious to immigration.

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Journey to Wells said:

Thank you for your response! Do you think me getting a letter from my counselor and one from my pastor about my miscarriage will help so they know that the reason we have temporarily separated was legitimate?

At this point anything can help, I was reading on another post that statements do help but they are considered "weaker" compared to the rest ie living together and finances. 

The common residence and intermingling of finances is the main thing. I will post the link for you to read. Also, can your husband move to a friend's or the pastor's or an acquaintance? Because look at it from their end, any marriage goes thru issues, we all agree on that but living in a homeless shelter doesnt look good and it does feed your mother's statement...

But again your health is the main thing, talk to your counselor and see what is doable in the immediate future.

4 minutes ago, Nouchigang said:

At this point anything can help, I was reading on another post that statements do help but they are considered "weaker" compared to the rest ie living together and finances. 

The common residence and intermingling of finances is the main thing. I will post the link for you to read. Also, can your husband move to a friend's or the pastor's or an acquaintance? Because look at it from their end, any marriage goes thru issues, we all agree on that but living in a homeless shelter doesnt look good and it does feed your mother's statement...

But again your health is the main thing, talk to your counselor and see what is doable in the immediate future.

Wow, that article is super helpful, thanks!

Yeah, the homeless shelter is not ideal. Ugh! May I add that he is adjusting from a B-2 visa (not a K-1 even though I'm in a K-1 forum) so when we got married in November and submitted our application in January, it was a rush to get everything done because I had to get my name changed, new SS card and drivers license before we could open up a joint account of any sort. So I don't have several months worth of bank statements and the like :(

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Journey to Wells said:

Wow, that article is super helpful, thanks!

Yeah, the homeless shelter is not ideal. Ugh! May I add that he is adjusting from a B-2 visa (not a K-1 even though I'm in a K-1 forum) so when we got married in November and submitted our application in January, it was a rush to get everything done because I had to get my name changed, new SS card and drivers license before we could open up a joint account of any sort. So I don't have several months worth of bank statements and the like :(

My pleasure :) 

I see I understand a bit more now, well at least they did not deny you, thats the good news, you now can try to fix it, and they do know 4 months is not a lot of time to get a lot of proof of bona fide marriage.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.