ForeverJune

Getting Canadian credit report while living in US

8 posts in this topic

Hi all!

Just a quick question for those who may know.
My spouse is military and we will be moving within the next month, however our (hopefully) new landlord wants both of our credit scores, but I haven't had a chance to establish a line of credit here in the US. I do have a good line of credit with my Canadian credit, and would like to provide that, but I can't find a site that will allow me to do receive it online and the only other option would be mailing, but it would mail to my last address and there's no option to change shipping address. 

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem?
Any ideas on how to go about this?

Happy New Years!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
19 minutes ago, ForeverJune said:

Hi all!

Just a quick question for those who may know.
My spouse is military and we will be moving within the next month, however our (hopefully) new landlord wants both of our credit scores, but I haven't had a chance to establish a line of credit here in the US. I do have a good line of credit with my Canadian credit, and would like to provide that, but I can't find a site that will allow me to do receive it online and the only other option would be mailing, but it would mail to my last address and there's no option to change shipping address. 

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem?
Any ideas on how to go about this?

Happy New Years!

Have you tried transunion?

The Canadian government website says transition allows it once a yr online for a fee. https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-consumer-agency/services/credit-reports-score/order-credit-report.html

Edited by Marzena & Stephen

Timeline
1 hour ago, Marzena & Stephen said:

Have you tried transunion?

The Canadian government website says transition allows it once a yr online for a fee. https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-consumer-agency/services/credit-reports-score/order-credit-report.html

ugh sorry about the typo i couldnt edit "transunion allowa an online sent credit check once a year"

I have not yet tried it as i dont want to pay for something i do not need at the moment.. but if you do try it please let me know how it goes!

I do however understand that the rest of the options are mail home only. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline

Your landlord won’t care about your Canadian credit line though. That won’t help you. What you probably gonna end up having to do is have just your spouse’s name on the lease and he can add you to the lease after you establish a credit line. It’s no big deal. People do it all the time. 

19 hours ago, Marzena & Stephen said:

ugh sorry about the typo i couldnt edit "transunion allowa an online sent credit check once a year"

I have not yet tried it as i dont want to pay for something i do not need at the moment.. but if you do try it please let me know how it goes!

I do however understand that the rest of the options are mail home only. 

I don't know if I pressed the wrong option or whatnot, but the only options I got were for mail or it asked for current address, but wouldn't accept my US address. I'll check out the link you sent though. Maybe if I call and do it through the phone, it might work.
Thank you so much for the help!! :)

18 hours ago, TNJ17 said:

Your landlord won’t care about your Canadian credit line though. That won’t help you. What you probably gonna end up having to do is have just your spouse’s name on the lease and he can add you to the lease after you establish a credit line. It’s no big deal. People do it all the time. 

I figured they wouldn't but my last landlord insisted on it, and I was still working in Canada at the time so it wasn't a problem. This time it's through an agency so might be different. 
Thank you so much!

Timeline
50 minutes ago, ForeverJune said:

I don't know if I pressed the wrong option or whatnot, but the only options I got were for mail or it asked for current address, but wouldn't accept my US address. I'll check out the link you sent though. Maybe if I call and do it through the phone, it might work.
Thank you so much for the help!! :)

No worries 

I would definitely call instead of trying to figure it out on your own as they will probably be able to help immediately (less stressful)

But like the above poster said it seems very odd they ask for your credit aswell. I have heard of renters pulling Canadian credit when they are on their own but not if your spouse takes full responsibility of the lease. Just seems odd. Maybe talk to them again aswell they may not understand

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My spouse and I were shopping around for house rentals and our property manager said they would take our Canadian Credit Karma score. I just downloaded the information into a PDF and sent it to her. Transunion Canada also allows you to download credit information. However, that site signed us up for automatic credit monitoring. So we had to call up and cancel that. I downloaded a free print to PDF program in order to generate the PDF to send it via email.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.