Lisaandgreg

Feeling 'lost in the shuffle'

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello! I wish we had found VisaJourney before we started our process. 

Long winded, I apologize, but please bear with me...

I am the Canadian beneficiary on a I-129 f /k-1 Visa application filed in March 2017. (In California)

On September 8, we received I-797-- NOA2 (?)  in the mail telling us that our petition was approved and sent on to NVC. I should say that this NOA states it is valid from September 1 - December 31, 2017.

In response to our email inquiry, the NVC informed us on October 23 that they'd completed their processing of our visa and forwarded it on to the US Consulate in Montreal on September 22.

We checked our status online with the Consulate in Montreal; it said that they sent our paperwork back to NVC. No reason for this was given. 

After numerous telephone calls to NVC, they assure us that our paperwork is in Montreal. Finally after a couple of emails, we got a response on December 20 from the US Consulate verifying that they are processing our Visa application in their office, and that we will be contacted with info on our next steps to take to continue the process -- once their Visa Unit is ready to process our case. They note that I am not required to send Packet 3 documents and that I am not eligible to book an appointment online until further instruction. But they did not respond to our concern about the fast-approaching validity date on the NOA2. (tomorrow's date)    After tomorrow, the NOA2 is no longer valid.

Has anyone had similar experience, or have any advise on how we should proceed? 

(I should note that one RFE was received, needing a "letter of intent to marry" from the beneficiary, which was sent and they received promptly.)

Thanks for your time, and any advice offered.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Lisaandgreg said:

Hello! I wish we had found VisaJourney before we started our process. 

Long winded, I apologize, but please bear with me...

I am the Canadian beneficiary on a I-129 f /k-1 Visa application filed in March 2017. (In California)

On September 8, we received I-797-- NOA2 (?)  in the mail telling us that our petition was approved and sent on to NVC. I should say that this NOA states it is valid from September 1 - December 31, 2017.

In response to our email inquiry, the NVC informed us on October 23 that they'd completed their processing of our visa and forwarded it on to the US Consulate in Montreal on September 22.

We checked our status online with the Consulate in Montreal; it said that they sent our paperwork back to NVC. No reason for this was given. 

After numerous telephone calls to NVC, they assure us that our paperwork is in Montreal. Finally after a couple of emails, we got a response on December 20 from the US Consulate verifying that they are processing our Visa application in their office, and that we will be contacted with info on our next steps to take to continue the process -- once their Visa Unit is ready to process our case. They note that I am not required to send Packet 3 documents and that I am not eligible to book an appointment online until further instruction. But they did not respond to our concern about the fast-approaching validity date on the NOA2. (tomorrow's date)    After tomorrow, the NOA2 is no longer valid.

Has anyone had similar experience, or have any advise on how we should proceed? 

(I should note that one RFE was received, needing a "letter of intent to marry" from the beneficiary, which was sent and they received promptly.)

Thanks for your time, and any advice offered.

Consulate has the authority to extend the validation period.  Since they are actively working the file I would not worry

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you for that reassurance. Seeing that so many other cases have moved more quickly, we can't help but be concerned. Our case wouldn't have made it this far if more was needed with the initial application, correct? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.