subz

I-551 stamp through infopass appointment at Sacramento, CA

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

My conditional green card was expiring in January 2017 so I had applied for removal of conditions (I-751) in October 2016 and had received 1 year extension letter too in October 2016. I was under impression that it extends my green card's validity (from January 2017) by a year.  But recently when I came back from India to San Francisco, CBP officer at airport told me date on extension letter is where one year is counted from not the green card expiry which perplexed me. He was nice and said I will let you go but get an I-551 stamp in the passport from USCIS. I searched for Infopass appointment at nearby offices of San Francisco and San Jose without luck. After a month I scheduled an appointment  at Sacramento USCIS office. At the entrance on 1st floor, it was airport like security (put phone, watch, belt in a tray, remove shoes etc). On the left are elevators to 2nd floor. Rooms are clearly marked so I went to Infopass room 2230 which is actually a hall. There are benches for waiting and 6-7 windows with USCIS officers in each. First I had to go to window 2 which is reception/check in for Infopass. Check in lady asked from driving license/ID and appointment letter. Then she gave me a token number and punched it to the appointment letter asking me to wait. I was called to window 3 in about 5 minutes. Officer asked for token and  appointment letter which I gave then he asked what help I need. I narrated airport story to him. Officer said CBP officer was wrong. Extension letter extends green card validity for a year from the expiration date on green card not from date of extension letter. He said nevertheless he will give an I-551 stamp in passport because its better to be safe than sorry. He said I will take your green card as stamp in passport is equivalent to green card and you cannot have two simultaneously. I handed him my passport and green card. He asked me to go back to waiting area. After 10 minutes he called me back and said your passport expires in 6 months so I will give you a stamp valid for 6 months. If you do not receive permanent green card by then also, schedule another Infopass with new passport for a new stamp for a year. I told him that fine. He stamped passport and signed it then gave it back. I asked him if he can check my I-751 status and he did that. He said your background checks have cleared but USCIS is dealing with huge volumes so it may take another 3 months. I thanked him and wished him happy holidays. He returned the greeting and smiled. The whole process took about 30 minutes..very efficient and courteous. 

The office has clean restrooms, water fountain, and bottle filler. I drank some water and left the building.

Tip: Street parking near USCIS office is way cheaper than building parkings nearby.  Street parking was 1.75 dollars for 2 hours while building parking was 1.75 dollars per 20 minutes. 

Recent extension letters are more clearer with the wording "..conditional resident status is extended for a period of one year from the expiration date on your conditional resident card".  You may have had the older, more confusing one.  Did they keep your green card? 

What airline did you fly in from India?  We too are wondering if airline check-in staff/immigration in India are familiar with the i-551 passport stamp. 

I-751 journey

10/16/2017.......... ROC package mailed

10/18/2017.......... I-751 package received VSC

10/19/2017.......... I-797 NOA date

10/30/2017.......... Notice received in mail

10/30/2017.......... Check cashed

11/02/2017.......... Conditional GC expired

11/22/2017.......... Biometrics completed

xx/xx/xxxx.......... waiting waiting waiting

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.