millyshe5

Military spouse's GC problem

17 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Miew-Miew said:

Yes, we went from A (Applying for K1) to Z (Citizenship) in just over two years.  The longest part of that timeline was the AoS which took 8 months.

What did you have to use as a reason to be allowed citizenship before 3 years?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
11 hours ago, Londonergirl said:

What did you have to use as a reason to be allowed citizenship before 3 years?

I'm not sure there was a 'reason' but I think you are asking how were we able to expedite..?  My husband was headed to an overseas PCS and I was headed there with him. With the military expedite you skip some steps and have others go more quickly.  I don't think it affected the Adjustment of status phase, but we got to skip the Removal of Conditions phase. You can see on my timeline, we received my greencard in APR 2013 one year into the process after applying for the K1 and I didn't apply for the Citizenship until JAN 2014 (9 months later..  after receiving the GC) and that was because we didn't know he was going too get an overseas assignment until that DEC 2014.  I suppose if that had not happened, we would have waited however many years the rule is from Greencard to citizenship (I'm not aware of a three year requirement, I assume that's the standard?) The timing worked perfectly for us.  I guess it would have been even shorter had we had a summer 2013 PCS instead of a summer 2014 one.  That way, we would have applied for citizenship immediately after receiving the greencard and would have been K1 to citizenship in roughly 15-16 months.

From K1 submission to US Citizenship- 2 years, 1 month and 2 days!

K-1 Process
• 6 MAR 2012 - I-129F packet sent via FedEx overnight •

• 7 MAR 2012 - Packet received Dallas, Texas
• 12 MAR 2012 - NOA1 (Notice by Email: routed to the CSC)
• 15 MAR 2012 - NOA1 (received Official Receipt Notice (Form I-797))
• 12 JUN 2012 - NOA2 (Notice by text message and Email)
• 23 MAR 2012 - NVC received/forwarded approved I-129F
• 25 April 2012 - Interview and Visa Approved!
• 27 APR 2012 - Collected Visa at Embassy
• 29 MAY 2012 - Arrival in US after two weeks holiday together!
*It took 46 days from NOA1 to Visa pick-up and we received our NOA2 two weeks AFTER her arrival in States!

AOS Process
• 13 JUL 2012 - I-485 packet received at USCIS
• 23 JUL 2012 - NOA I-797C received for I-485 and I-765 (we didn't do an AP)
• 10 AUG 2012 - RFE for Proof of Employment and Fed. Poverty Level/Support Requirement!(Active Duty Military but deployed last year with little taxable income to report)
• RFE Discussion--> http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/382590-any-other-military-members-have-this-happen/
• 16 AUG 2012 - USCIS received my RFE document response & Biometrics completed on same day
• 21 SEP 2012 - EAD Received after a total of 6 USCIS Status updates
• 8 MAR 2013 - USCIS received our AP I-131 Travel Doc that we didn't apply for initially (bad decision)
• 26 MAR 2013 - Email Notice that AP was approved
• 03 APR 2013 - Card in hand! (9+ months from application to receipt of card)

Removal of Conditions

• Skipped with Military expedite

Citizenship N400

• 20 JAN 2014 - Packet mailed

• 02 FEB 2014 - walk-in Bio appointment

• 24 MAR 2014 - Interview

• 08 APR 2014 - Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.