Ebunoluwa

Trump tweets he 'took a pass' at being named TIME's person of the year

123 posts in this topic

On 11/25/2017 at 12:37 PM, Nature Boy Flair said:

So using the logic presented here even the person awarded does not know it until dec 6. Yeah right 

No. Though I admit I read it that way at first also.

TIME wasn't saying they don't tell the purpose before that. They were just saying that they couldn't comment on who their actual choice was until they reveal it. They were just saying that all they can say now he is incorrect, but they aren't going to talk about their selection process or who they chose until they announce who it is.

Edited by bcking

On 11/25/2017 at 3:02 PM, jg121783 said:

The fact of the matter is it is Trump's word against CNN/Time's word and there is no evidence to conclusively back either side on this one. That being said CNN/Time has a horrible track record for telling the truth and has been caught lying about people in the past. That and I don't see any reason for Trump to make this up out of the blue. I don't claim to know for sure but logic and common sense tell me Trump probably turned down Time and they are butt hurt.

I agree it's their word against his.

However I think it is hilarious you bring up CNN/Time's "track record" for "telling the truth" and yet ignore Trump's? His is just as bad, if not worse.

Once a liar, always a liar. At least that is the logic applied to the News. Why not to an individual?

Edited by bcking

On 11/25/2017 at 9:42 PM, IDWAF said:

You’re missing the point.  Probably won’t get it a second time either, but I feel compelled to try and ‘splain it to ya.

If Trump had no ide he was even in the running because Time doesn’t release the info until the issue comes out on 6 Dec... whey would he even tweet about it?  Hint: Because Time DID talk to him about it, and maybe he told them to pack sand if he was only “in the tunning”?

He was Person of the Year last year.  Why would he want to be it again?  

I think a far more likely scenario is Trump tweeted it knowing full well it was a lie, but knew it would generate attention, irritate people he doesn't like, and his supporters wouldn't care and probably like it (despite it being a lie). 

He knows full well that his supporters don't follow him for his honesty. He can be as dishonest as he likes, and at this point it would seem like his particular fan base would love him more for it. I'm sure he knows it at this point. 

Another important question to ask would be whether there was some significantly more important news story around the same time. Something he would have preferred to push under the carpet. That would also be another "reasonable" explanation for why he would tweet it. Distraction.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
50 minutes ago, bcking said:

I think a far more likely scenario is Trump tweeted it knowing full well it was a lie, but knew it would generate attention, irritate people he doesn't like, and his supporters wouldn't care and probably like it (despite it being a lie). 

He knows full well that his supporters don't follow him for his honesty. He can be as dishonest as he likes, and at this point it would seem like his particular fan base would love him more for it. I'm sure he knows it at this point. 

Another important question to ask would be whether there was some significantly more important news story around the same time. Something he would have preferred to push under the carpet. That would also be another "reasonable" explanation for why he would tweet it. Distraction.

Yes, this logic was already discussed.  Trump loves to press the buttons of those that now hate him (in many cases a big unhealthy hatred), it is what he does, and sure there are those that think this is unbecoming of the president.  I may agree with them, but I don't remember hearing the same argument when the previous president made statements in his own style regarding the issues in Cambridge, or Sanford, or Ferguson.  Regardless, it is fun seeing a great many of the folks solidly in the MDL in full rant mode.  As to Time, all you have to do is look at the history of this irrelevant award.  Ever since FDR, the US president has been labeled "Person of the Year" twice with the exception of Kennedy, Carter, and H.W. Bush, and only Nixon was awarded the "honor" in consecutive years. 

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

18 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

Yes, this logic was already discussed.  Trump loves to press the buttons of those that now hate him (in many cases a big unhealthy hatred), it is what he does, and sure there are those that think this is unbecoming of the president.  I may agree with them, but I don't remember hearing the same argument when the previous president made statements in his own style regarding the issues in Cambridge, or Sanford, or Ferguson.  Regardless, it is fun seeing a great many of the folks solidly in the MDL in full rant mode.  As to Time, all you have to do is look at the history of this irrelevant award.  Ever since FDR, the US president has been labeled "Person of the Year" twice with the exception of Kennedy, Carter, and H.W. Bush, and only Nixon was awarded the "honor" in consecutive years. 

Nothing that previous Presidents have done can compare to the vast number of examples of Trump calling out individual private citizens, insulting people, or intentionally lying to get a "rise" out of people.

Trump is solidly unique in his very public shows of disrespect for many of the citizens he represents as President.

Though I agree I don't really care who the Person of the Year is, and I don't remember the last time I bought Time magazine. I wouldn't say they are inconsequential (I believe they are still the 2nd most highly circulated weekly magazine) but they fell quite a bit long before Trump became an issue.

Edited by bcking

Timeline
11 minutes ago, bcking said:

Nothing that previous Presidents have done can compare to the vast number of examples of Trump calling out individual private citizens, insulting people, or intentionally lying to get a "rise" out of people.

Trump is solidly unique in his very public shows of disrespect for many of the citizens he represents as President.

Though I agree I don't really care who the Person of the Year is, and I don't remember the last time I bought Time magazine. I wouldn't say they are inconsequential (I believe they are still the 2nd most highly circulated weekly magazine) but they fell quite a bit long before Trump became an issue.

I respectfully disagree with you on this one.  Though President Obama's method was different, the actions were very similar in how he denigrated a Cambridge police officer personally, or Zimmerman, or Darren Wilson.  We can always debate if he did this intentionally or not, but since neither of us has that inside knowledge that debate is pointless.  The previous president also attacked certain press organizations much like Trump does now.  Of course there are more biased media sources from the Left side of the road so it looks worse, but it is still the same.  In addition, the past President unintentionally or intentionally lied to the American public directly many many times from the ACA to Benghazi, and many more.

Certainly with different political leanings, many will look at the two presidents differently, but in reality, they have done the same thing with different styles.  Just like with the last president and the folks in the extreme MDR (EMDR) that had an unhealthy hatred for him, we now have many people with a very unhealthy hatred for the current president.  The difference, in my opinion, is that these folks are much more the mainstream of the MDL.

15 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

I respectfully disagree with you on this one.  Though President Obama's method was different, the actions were very similar in how he denigrated a Cambridge police officer personally, or Zimmerman, or Darren Wilson.  We can always debate if he did this intentionally or not, but since neither of us has that inside knowledge that debate is pointless.  The previous president also attacked certain press organizations much like Trump does now.  Of course there are more biased media sources from the Left side of the road so it looks worse, but it is still the same.  In addition, the past President unintentionally or intentionally lied to the American public directly many many times from the ACA to Benghazi, and many more.

Certainly with different political leanings, many will look at the two presidents differently, but in reality, they have done the same thing with different styles.  Just like with the last president and the folks in the extreme MDR (EMDR) that had an unhealthy hatred for him, we now have many people with a very unhealthy hatred for the current president.  The difference, in my opinion, is that these folks are much more the mainstream of the MDL.

I agree that neither of us have "inside knowledge". With that in mind - Please provide examples of where he "denigrated a Cambridge police officer personally, or Zimmerman, or Darren Wilson". By that I mean - Please provide examples where he SPECIFICALLY called them out by name and insulted them, put them down, or said something derogatory. If he wasn't calling them out specifically, I don't see how his actions were at all similar to what Trump does on Twitter. Trump frequently specifically names people (or organizations) and then follows that up with an insult. In the same tweet/sentence. He doesn't just loosely "reference" things, he is very specific. That is VERY unique and, in my opinion, far more offensive.

The President is a public figure, but also a private individual. He needs to represent all of us, though we can't pretend that a President doesn't have opinions. Trump displays his derogatory and inflammatory opinions to the public far too frequently to be appropriate for the President. He is free to have those opinions, he needs to just keep them to himself. What he is doing now is an embarrassment to himself, an embarrassment to the office, and honestly an embarrassment to all Americans.

We can take Zimmerman for example -

From what I recall the few things Obama said immediately in the aftermath were something like "If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon" and some additional comments about how we should make sure we fully investigate the issue and "get to the bottom of it" (but more eloquently obviously). He didn't mention Zimmerman directly. The statement I quote above is likely a very honest feeling from our Former President. That isn't an assault on a person, that is a denigration before the investigation (in the same comments he said that we need to fully investigate it). That is just expressing sadness of the turn of events, and compassion mostly towards the child's parents.

Later on after Zimmerman was found not guilty I believe he made some remarks about how everyone should be calm and let the family grieve, and that we should all ask ourselves whether we are doing enough to help stop violence. Again - Did not call out Zimmerman in any way. 

I think comparing Trump and Obama is the perfect example of where style can matter a lot, and can be supremely important. I'm sure Obama has opinions about many things, and I'm sure he disagrees with people on many topics. Despite that, he doesn't call out individuals, insult them, call them names, "denigrate them" publicly. He may do it in private, but again we both lack "inside knowledge".

Edited by bcking

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

I think that NBF should be named Person of the Year, "for frequent and continuous creative use of the English language."

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
18 minutes ago, bcking said:

I agree that neither of us have "inside knowledge". With that in mind - Please provide examples of where he "denigrated a Cambridge police officer personally, or Zimmerman, or Darren Wilson". By that I mean - Please provide examples where he SPECIFICALLY called them out by name and insulted them, put them down, or said something derogatory. If he wasn't calling them out specifically, I don't see how his actions were at all similar to what Trump does on Twitter. Trump frequently specifically names people (or organizations) and then follows that up with an insult. In the same tweet/sentence. He doesn't just loosely "reference" things, he is very specific. That is VERY unique and, in my opinion, far more offensive.

The President is a public figure, but also a private individual. He needs to represent all of us, though we can't pretend that a President doesn't have opinions. Trump displays his derogatory and inflammatory opinions to the public far too frequently to be appropriate for the President. He is free to have those opinions, he needs to just keep them to himself. What he is doing now is an embarrassment to himself, an embarrassment to the office, and honestly an embarrassment to all Americans.

We can take Zimmerman for example -

From what I recall the few things Obama said immediately in the aftermath were something like "If I had a son, he would look like Trayvon" and some additional comments about how we should make sure we fully investigate the issue and "get to the bottom of it" (but more eloquently obviously). He didn't mention Zimmerman directly. The statement I quote above is likely a very honest feeling from our Former President. That isn't an assault on a person, that is a denigration before the investigation (in the same comments he said that we need to fully investigate it). That is just expressing sadness of the turn of events, and compassion mostly towards the child's parents.

Later on after Zimmerman was found not guilty I believe he made some remarks about how everyone should be calm and let the family grieve, and that we should all ask ourselves whether we are doing enough to help stop violence. Again - Did not call out Zimmerman in any way. 

I think comparing Trump and Obama is the perfect example of where style can matter a lot, and can be supremely important. I'm sure Obama has opinions about many things, and I'm sure he disagrees with people on many topics. Despite that, he doesn't call out individuals, insult them, call them names, "denigrate them" publicly. He may do it in private, but again we both lack "inside knowledge".

Well there is the whole "The police acted stupidly comment" which had the impact of immediately denigrating the actions of the police officer on duty and of course Obama did not have all the facts and had to back up and hold the Beer Summit.  As to Zimmerman, it may have been indirect, but it was still an attack without knowing the facts.  As to Ferguson, we all know how the president took sides and immediately dispatched his AG to go and venerate the perpetrator of a crime.  Obama's method tended to be more indirect, but it doesn't change the fact that it is the same thing in many of the viewing publics opinion's.

Style differences only matters to some and in my opinion is a horrible method to use for electing a president.  If Trump is actually able to accomplish something that improves the economy (using the GDP growth as the measure) greater than 3%, then I could not care less about his style because as many politicians will tell you, it is all about the economy.

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Dunngary said:

I don't even know how you can reference Obama, when the subject is Trump. Signs of a lost argument?

When a rant is being conducted through an unhealthy hatred for an individual, comparisons will be made.

56 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

It must have sucked for a dedicated officer like Wilson. To get almost killed by a violent thug, then be torn apart for it. He should have been awarded a medal for bravery . Then for the President to send reps to the funeral. Disgusting 

23 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

I think that NBF should be named Person of the Year, "for frequent and continuous creative use of the English language."

Thats just cause you will not let us cuss in here