raeeeee

AOS packet questions ("military" medical exam?, marriage evidence, i-94, SSN, etc.)

6 posts in this topic

Hey guys, so my US citizen husband and I finally put together our i-130 and i-485 packets. We've been putting it off for a while but my "legal" stay is about to expire (in a few weeks; I came here on a tourist visa).

I just have a few questions that I hope anyone here could help me with.

1.) Regarding the Medical Exam (i-693). We set up a medical appointment on base (my husband is active-duty military by the way) and after showing him the i-693, the doctor said we have to complete the various tests off base. We did as he said and I got an x-ray done for the TB part, peed in a cup (this is for the STDs part I assume), got stabbed with a needle for flu and tetanus, and I also had a lot of blood drawn from me to check for my immunization since I don't have a record of my immunization history (I came to this country without thinking I'd stay here or think I'd need an immunization history :p). Now we're just waiting on the results so we can take it back to the doctor on base so he can fill out the i-693 with my results. I didn't get anything done for the mental health and drug abuse part of the form so we have to ask how to go about that when we go back (if anyone can enlighten me as to what they do to test these, please tell me; I'm not worried since I have neither problems with mental health or drugs but I am curious as to how its tested).

My question regarding this is... Is that doctor actually qualified to fill the i-693 form out? I read somewhere that the exam has to be completed by a "civil surgeon" but neither I or my husband knows if this doctor is qualified/the one who is supposed to complete it but he said he'd fill it out when we get my results from the tests (the military/medical personnel at the VA hospital also said they've had these tests done befpre and had dealt with USCIS for others before us too). But did we have to go somewhere/someone specific? We did all the necessary tests/exams through the military (the clinic and the hospital we went to are connected to the military and were referred to us by the doctor/medical facility on base) because its free but is that okay? Also, do we print the i-693 form and just give it to them to fill out? Do they have to return it to us in a sealed envelope? Or do we just put it in the packet like the other forms?

2.) Regarding Evidence of bona fide Marriage. With the packet we plan on including a copy of our lease (both names on it), internet bill (it's an original copy of the bill we got from just last month; with both names), gym membership (both names), and a Power of Attorney we had made at the legal office on base stating my husband gave me power of attorney over a variety of things.

We also have a shared phone bill but we can't get a copy of that with both our names on the bill. They said they can only print one name on it so we can't use that. We also have a joint bank account but its fairly new (a few days old) and we can't get a statement before we plan on sending the packet so we can't include that either. Although we're trying to ask them if they can just write up a letter stating we both have an account with said-bank.

Is there anything else we can/should send as evidence? We also have my military ID which shows I'm my husband's dependent. Should I photocopy it and include it in the packet? There's also the copy of our DEERS and BAH forms too. There are all sorts of proofs I can send from the military-side of it but I don't know if I should include it in the packet or wait 'til the interview to show them those? What about pictures? Should we also print copies from our trips together and send those too?

3.) Regarding the Electronic i-94. I need to send this with the i-485 packet. We just inputted my traveler data on the official website (https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/) to which it gave out the details about my travel into the US and when my stay expires then we just printed that. It's just one measly page. Did we do this right? There's no "official copy" of the i-94 where we have to apply for, is there?

4.) Regarding this portion of the i-130 form: "Has anyone else ever filed a petition for the beneficiary?" We checked the "Unknown" box for this. I was a former green card holder when I was a child. My parents lived in the US for a few years and I know I had a green card until my father gave it up some years later after we moved back to our country. Does that mean I was petitioned to before? Should i check "Yes"? Will they need some kind of proof if I check "Yes"? What happens if I just check "Unknown"?

5.) Social Security #. I have a SSN from when I was a former green card holder. Should I write it down on the forms where it says to write it down "(if any)"? I know SSN's are assigned 1 per person for life or something like that and I know my SSN is still valid since we used it to open our joint bank account (the bank we applied to wouldn't let me open an account with them if I had no SSN so I had to use it) and they apparently did a background check on me through that and approved it afterwards (honestly this surprised me since I would've thought they'd reject it. That SSN is still under my maiden name and technically I'm not a US citizen or a green card holder anymore so why its still valid, who knows). Anyway, would it make a difference if I do/don't write down my SSN on the forms?

So sorry this post got so long. I just want to be thorough before we finally send the packets out. :)

Oh and one more extra thing....

6.) Because I came here on a tourist visa, my stay expires in the next few weeks (can only stay for 6 months). I know its our fault for delaying the AOS process to the last minute but say we somehow end up not sending it out before the last day of my legal stay in the US as indicated on my passport stamp at POE.... will I be deported?? I read that our AOS application doesn't have to be approved yet (because it won't) for me to be here legally after my stay expires but that as long as we sent it/filed for AOS then I'm technically not "illegally staying here" anymore. Is this true?

Thank you very much to anyone who can help out!!!

Edited by raeeeee

1) yes you need a civil surgeon

2) include any proof you can but do not, under any circumstances, photocopy any military ID.  It is illegal.  Photos of you guys together, the lease, the poa, are all good evidence. 

3) i believe thats correct. The govt stopped handing out physical I-94 years ago.

4) you may want to talk to your parents about how you guys had a green card. 

5) you get one ssn for life.  If you rememeber that number and it is a legal ssn you can use it for all intents and purposes.  For what its worth, banks are notoriously stupid about how to open accounts for non-resident aliens (which is what you are until you get a green card.)  Most military banks however, like navy federal or USAA can figure this out. 

6) whatever you do, unless you want to pursue the CR1 visa (which takes about 14 months) dont leave the USA.  Any overstay is forgiven for a spouse of a USC and during the AOS period you enter a time of authorized stay. 

Edited by NikLR
Clarity

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

1.You can get a list of the civil surgeons on USCIS website. Not every doctor can complete the form I-693.

2.You don't have to include all evidence. Look around this forum for possible evidence and start collecting so you have it in time for the interview.

3.That's what I did as well.

4.Is there a reason you can't ask your parents? If that's the case, select "Unknown" and explain on the last page.

5.You will have the same SSN. It doesn't change unless lost or stolen.

6.Don't leave. It will be okay. File as quickly as possible. :)

Good luck

05/24/2017 Entered the US on a J1 visa

10/10/2017 We got married!

10/27/2017 AOS Package sent via USPS - Chicago Lockbox

10/30/2017 Package delivered 

10/31/2017 Priority Date

11/07/2017 Received email and text notifications about all 4 forms

11/14/2017 Received hard copies of all 4 NOAs

11/21/2017 Received biometrics appointment notice scheduled for 11/29

12/15/2017 Interview notice - interview is scheduled for January 19th! Holy #$%^ that's less than 3 months from PD!

01/02/2018 EAD + AP approved

01/16/2018 Combo card delivered

01/19/2018 Interview - recommended for approval

01/22/2018 New card is being produced :dance:

UBtw.png

Thank you sooooooo much for the replies/answers @NikLR and @EvieMN!! They really helped my husband and I out!! :D

I even ended up checking the USCIS website regarding authorized doctors (we never even checked this part of the site before lol I guess we weren't that thorough) and it says this:

Finding an Authorized Doctor

When you apply for a green card (adjustment of status) in the United States, you usually need to have a medical examination. The exam must be done by a doctor who is authorized by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). USCIS designates certain doctors (also known as civil surgeons) to perform the medical exam required for most Green Card applicants. Military physicians are authorized to perform immigration medical exams at a military treatment facility within the United States for U.S. veterans, members of the U.S. military and designated dependents.

I'm glad to read actual confirmation that the doctor we went to is actually authorized to complete the form. This is what's been nagging my thoughts for a while now. I've been worrying if it was alright or if we were just wasting our time because I assumed we had to go somewhere else for the exam. So this is definitely is a load off my chest.

Also yes, I'll be waiting for the approval before I go back to my country to see my family and sort out all the things I left there. Hopefully we can get this whole process sorted out and done with quickly.... or as quickly as possible anyway. :P I'm just worried about what would happen if we somehow end up sending the packet well after my due date to leave the country. I'm terrified of staying here knowing I'll be an illegal and possibly being found out and being deported! :wacko: We're at the last stages of getting our packet together though so we should be able to send it in before my stay expires. We're just waiting to hear from our bank and for the final appointment with the doctor for the medical exam. *fingers crossed that we can send it out in time*

It doesn't matter if you send it out after you are "supposed to leave."  Send it when it's ready. Do not rush.  Triple check all the questions, all of the evidence, etc... you will not be deported for being out od status for a week or two.  Some people are out of status for over 10 years and still haven't been deported.... 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

^This.

You don't need to rush filing at all right now. Make sure everything is correct. Sometimes things just slip so keep checking. I almost filed with my husband's wrong city of birth. He was born there but his parents moved when he was little so I always associate their current city with him! :D

Little things like that. Make sure your affidavit of support has all the required documents too.

05/24/2017 Entered the US on a J1 visa

10/10/2017 We got married!

10/27/2017 AOS Package sent via USPS - Chicago Lockbox

10/30/2017 Package delivered 

10/31/2017 Priority Date

11/07/2017 Received email and text notifications about all 4 forms

11/14/2017 Received hard copies of all 4 NOAs

11/21/2017 Received biometrics appointment notice scheduled for 11/29

12/15/2017 Interview notice - interview is scheduled for January 19th! Holy #$%^ that's less than 3 months from PD!

01/02/2018 EAD + AP approved

01/16/2018 Combo card delivered

01/19/2018 Interview - recommended for approval

01/22/2018 New card is being produced :dance:

UBtw.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.