Logres

Will standard UK passport photos suffice for K-1 Visa Interview?

38 posts in this topic

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I naively just got the good old picture machine in tesco's jobbys, and it was ok.

Probably cause the CO felt bad cause he gave me and RFE for something else :lol:

K-1 visa issued: 12/15/2006

107 days from mailing AOS package to receiving green card! Received 6/27/07 dated 6/20/07

Removing conditions:

mailed 5/22/2009

Recieved at CSC 5/23/2009

Check cashed 5/27/09

NOA date 5/26/09 - still not received

I-551 stamp in passport 6/19/09

Biometrics notice date 6/16/09

Biometrics received 6/20/09

Biometrics apt date 7/9/09

Biometrics cancellation notice 6/27/09

Biometrics apt notice date 6/26 recieved 7/7

Biometrics apt 7/22/09

Touch 7/22/09

Finally able to see online info 7/22/09

Card production email 8/19/09 date ordered 8/18

Recieved approval letter in mail 8/19/09 date 8/13!

Touch 8/19

Email stating approval notice sent 8/24/09

Green card in hand!! 8/24/09

Husband joined army and moved from San Diego to Ft. Benning GA! 8/30/11

Filed N400 based on 5 years of residency 9/12/12

Recieved email notifcation recieved package 9/19/12

Biometrics 10/22/12

Early Biometrics 10/04/12

In line for interview 10/8/12 for 8 days

Interview 11/20/12 PASSED!

I gave the link to the US Embassy in London where they say to US style photos, give an explanation as to why only those are acceptable

and give links to where to get them.

Not sure why this is a debate? The instructions are pretty clear, and its always good to follow instructions!

Incredible isn't it. On a process that we all consider extremely important, where we ourselves are really ####### about getting it right, it simply staggers me that anyone would want to risk bucking the system simply because they cannot be bothered to get photos of a specific size.

I think I'll send my mate to my interview. He knows all about me and can answer all the questions by proxy. I mean after all, they only asked me to come to the interview with my docs, what does it matter if I ignore that instruction? :whistle::lol:

prestoportaitww0.jpg

My Timeline is the same as TracyTN

Gonna disagree with meauxna here (note: I didn't actually check any specs in London).

The photos Pras sent me for the K-1 petition were roughly 39 x 49 mm (slightly different from Canadian Citizenship card size of 35 x 53)--and USCIS accepted them. So why won't they do so in London if they'll do so in Chennai?

Because the London Consulate might be more ####### retentive..........

Yeah, I guess Yanks need to stiffen their brains to imitate the "stiff upper lip" for Brits. :lol: :lol:

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Timeline
'xactly. Why wouldn't you follow instructions (especially such easy-to-follow ones!) when you're given them? You might get lucky and get the CO who couldn't care less whether you've taken the scissors to an old holiday snap and given them that (ok, I exagerrate a touch, maybe), just so long as they can get your visa done and get on their lunch break... or you might get the CO who thinks 'good grief, we sent you a sheet of instructions about this stuff for a reason, you know, why ignore them?' and tells you to come back when you've got the right sized photos. Why cause yourself potential delays unnecessarily... just because some COs might be a bit lax about it, doesn't mean they all will be, or that they have an unofficial 'feel free to ignore the instructions' rule about photo sizes!

So agreed!

If I was a CO, I'd refuse anything other than what's stated...just for the sake of it. WHY WHY OH WHY would anyone want to do anything to show you're giving the old two fingers up to the whole process?

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I do remember there was a bit in P3 which gave the sizes of the photos needed and all that occurred to me was that they were the same size as in my UK passport. It then listed the places that you can get the photos done in, Snappy Snaps being the one that springs to mind the most.

I know that the photos I took in were standard Snappy Snaps ones, smaller than USA ones (which I know now, didn't know then) and the woman who took all of my stuff didn't say a word, or blink an eye at them.

Just my own experience.

I do remember there was a bit in P3 which gave the sizes of the photos needed and all that occurred to me was that they were the same size as in my UK passport.

The US passport photo requirement is a 2"x2" photo. UK is 1.7"x1.4", i.e. much smaller. Hardly the same.

Edited by Dr_LHA

Timeline
I do remember there was a bit in P3 which gave the sizes of the photos needed and all that occurred to me was that they were the same size as in my UK passport.

The US passport photo requirement is a 2"x2" photo. UK is 1.7"x1.4", i.e. much smaller. Hardly the same.

That's not what I said...

Back in the old days of the 3/4 view pictures, I still used a photo booth and checked the measurements were AOK. Nobody said anything because they were photo booth piccies and not from a lab.

Recently I used UK passport photos for the removing conditions. I realised they were not quite to size, so I cut them including all the extra border to get them to US size. Not a problem with that either.

As long as the size is OK, it doesn't matter where you get them done.

Met the ole man in January 1998

Jan. 2004: K1 visa issued ~ April 2004: Got on a plane ~ Nov. 2004: GC in my mucky hands ~ Dec. 2006: Received 10 YR GC

September 2008 - US passport delivered!

If I was a CO, I'd refuse anything other than what's stated...just for the sake of it. WHY WHY OH WHY would anyone want to do anything to show you're giving the old two fingers up to the whole process?

:thumbs:

And also, that you could care less about following directions by actually reading your forms!

we didn't get any specific sizes photos. neil just sat down in the photo booth in the train station and get his photos done. they just cut them out and stapled them onto his stuff.

Its cool to ignore explicit instructions.

Timeline
we didn't get any specific sizes photos. neil just sat down in the photo booth in the train station and get his photos done. they just cut them out and stapled them onto his stuff.

But it worked, right?

I have not come across anyone recently being told that their UK sized photos were incorrect. Perhaps this means that they do accept these sizes, rather than people just being ignorant and not taking in the correct ones.

Just my 2c.

But it worked, right?

I have not come across anyone recently being told that their UK sized photos were incorrect. Perhaps this means that they do accept these sizes, rather than people just being ignorant and not taking in the correct ones.

Just my 2c.

But they ARE being ignorant, the instructions clearly state US SIZED pics, and there's a whole section(page?) on sizing stuff & head room, etc!

I think they're getting lucky.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.