ColoradoVinny

Fiance's daughter K-2 question.

17 posts in this topic

Hello,

I will be applying for my fiance to come to the USA and marry me. She has a 15-year old daughter who does not intend to come now. If I include her name in the application will she be able to immigrate in the future due to CSPA, even after she turns 21? If my future wife becomes an American citizen, does that still hold? Is an additional application required to "freeze" her age as a minor?
Thanks!!

All children are to be declared in the petition and DS-160. If the child is not immigrating yet, then she just doesn't fill out a DS-160 for the child.

The I-129F will let her get a K-2 for up to 1 year after the K-1 visa is issued. After that, she must be petitioned separately via an I-130.

Now, this is where you can hit some hiccups. In order for you, the USC, to petition for her as a stepchild, you must marry her mother before she turns 16. Marry her a day late and only her mother can petition for her.

If you do marry before she turns 16, you can petition her at any point up until she turns 21. ETA: ~1 year from filing to CR-2/IR-2 visa.

If you do not marry before she turns 16, then the mother has to petitioner for her, which she can only do after she gets the green card (after AOS is approved). Then it's about a 2 year wait currently from filing to interview since she would be in the F2A preference category. She must remain unmarried.

As for CSPA, this changes based on who files for her. If the petitioner is a USC then her age freezes as of when the I-130 is filed. However, she must still seek to acquire permanent residency within 1 year. She can't let the approved I-130 sit until she's 22 or older and then try to proceed.

If her mother files for her and she becomes a USC, the I-130 can be upgraded at that point. Her age will freeze as of the date the mother gained US citizenship. Same rules as above then apply.

The her mother does NOT becomes a USC, the time spent while the mother's I-130 was filed but not yet approved would be deducted from the child's age to determine if she falls into F2A (under 21) or F2B (21 and over). She must still seek to acquire permanent residency within 1 year of becoming eligible for an immigrant visa.

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/child-status-protection-act

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

8 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Thank you so much! So, I guess this wouldn't apply to me. Her daughter currently is 15 and does not have intention to come here to the USA at the moment. What I'd like to do is have a groundwork set in case she decided to come in the future. So, she wouldn't be able to come when she's like 28 and unmarried simply because I as an USC added her name to the K-1 application, correct?
Thanks again!

All children are to be declared in the petition and DS-160. If the child is not immigrating yet, then she just doesn't fill out a DS-160 for the child.

The I-129F will let her get a K-2 for up to 1 year after the K-1 visa is issued. After that, she must be petitioned separately via an I-130.

Now, this is where you can hit some hiccups. In order for you, the USC, to petition for her as a stepchild, you must marry her mother before she turns 16. Marry her a day late and only her mother can petition for her.

If you do marry before she turns 16, you can petition her at any point up until she turns 21. ETA: ~1 year from filing to CR-2/IR-2 visa.

If you do not marry before she turns 16, then the mother has to petitioner for her, which she can only do after she gets the green card (after AOS is approved). Then it's about a 2 year wait currently from filing to interview since she would be in the F2A preference category. She must remain unmarried.

As for CSPA, this changes based on who files for her. If the petitioner is a USC then her age freezes as of when the I-130 is filed. However, she must still seek to acquire permanent residency within 1 year. She can't let the approved I-130 sit until she's 22 or older and then try to proceed.

If her mother files for her and she becomes a USC, the I-130 can be upgraded at that point. Her age will freeze as of the date the mother gained US citizenship. Same rules as above then apply.

The her mother does NOT becomes a USC, the time spent while the mother's I-130 was filed but not yet approved would be deducted from the child's age to determine if she falls into F2A (under 21) or F2B (21 and over). She must still seek to acquire permanent residency within 1 year of becoming eligible for an immigrant visa.

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/child-status-protection-act

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

and we do not know the country she is from but some US embassies don't approve a visa when they realize the woman is planning to leave a child behind

best to add her now

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
Spoiler

the age for marrying mom is under 18 not 16. you must marry her mom before she is 18 and file the i130 for her before she is 21,  to file for her as a minor

if you file for her over 21, then it will take years for her to come

3 minutes ago, aleful said:

Thank you so much! So, I guess this wouldn't apply to me. Her daughter currently is 15 and does not have intention to come here to the USA at the moment. What I'd like to do is have a groundwork set in case she decided to come in the future. So, she wouldn't be able to come when she's like 28 and unmarried simply because I as an USC added her name to the K-1 application, correct?
Thanks again!

2 minutes ago, aleful said:

Thank you!!

Timeline
4 minutes ago, ColoradoVinny said:

hi

you will add her in all the forms where children are required to be named, not only for the k1 visa but for the adjustment of status, any children that she has, whether they come or not have to be included

now for you to be able to petition her in the future you would have to marry her mom before she turns 18, but  why wait until that age?

over 21 now is taking over 7 years of waiting, that is for unmarried children, if she marries the wait would be 12 to 13 years

everything over 21 takes a long time.

you should file for her before she turns 21

21 minutes ago, ColoradoVinny said:

Thanks again!

Either way, the petition is asking about all children so you must list them even if they aren't coming with her.

Under current law, she can be petitioned at age 28 still. But it will take about 8-10 years. This category (adult sons/daughters) is also regularly mentioned as being on the chopping block if there is immigration reform. I'm not saying it is likely or anything liek that, but it is something to be aware of.

16 minutes ago, aleful said:
  Reveal hidden contents

the age for marrying mom is under 18 not 16. you must marry her mom before she is 18 and file the i130 for her before she is 21,  to file for her as a minor

if you file for her over 21, then it will take years for her to come

OMG! Wow...brain fart there. Yes, it's age 18 for a stepchild to be recognized, not 16. Don't ask...it's been a long day. I need some coffee...

Thank you for picking up on that!!!

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
1 minute ago, geowrian said:

Either way, the petition is asking about all children so you must list them even if they aren't coming with her.

Under current law, she can be petitioned at age 28 still. But it will take about 8-10 years. This category (adult sons/daughters) is also regularly mentioned as being on the chopping block if there is immigration reform. I'm not saying it is likely or anything liek that, but it is something to be aware of.

OMG! Wow...brain fart there. Yes, it's age 18 for a stepchild to be recognized, not 16. Don't ask...it's been a long day. I need some coffee...

jajja!! that makes two of us long day and coffee needed!!!!

Timeline
40 minutes ago, geowrian said:

jajja!! that makes two of us long day and coffee needed!!!!

Timeline

CSPA doesn't apply for fiancé visa

never has, never will, it is meant to file for fiancés children under 21 as immediate relatives.

it doesn't carry over to any other petition

Once she turns 18, you or her mother can file for her and she doesnt need her  father's permission to move either.  If she is here before she is 18 and her mother is already a citizen, or becomes one before her daughter turns 18 and is an LPR also, the daughter will automatically become one as well.   (Same goes foe the son.)  However, not to burst any bubbles, the mother may need the father's consent for the son to immigrate so be prepared for that.  

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.