2,950 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

Most of these documents are only required for the interview, so while I agree with gathering them when filing the N400, there is no actual requirement to attach them to the file (although USCIS says you may attach them). 

I remember while filing online, some of them are required. You just can’t fill the form and click submit. I attached as much as I could, so I avoid RFE or any misunderstanding. 

The interview officer told me anyway that I submitted too much documentation and it looks perfect :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Nayda said:

I remember while filing online, some of them are required. You just can’t fill the form and click submit. I attached as much as I could, so I avoid RFE or any misunderstanding. 

The interview officer told me anyway that I submitted too much documentation and it looks perfect :)

My point is that the actual list of Required evidence for the N400 submission is relatively short, and with someone that also has an I751 in process, it seems like overkill.  In our case, we only submitted the required evidence (Katya filed by paper) and took a copy of the I751 submission with us to the interview along with updated tax transcripts and had no issues.

From the N400 Instructions: 

Required Evidence

Below is a list of documents to submit with your Form N-400.

1. Photographs. Only applicants who reside overseas must provide two identical color photographs of yourself taken

recently. The photos must have a white to off-white background, be printed on thin paper with a glossy finish, and

be unmounted and unretouched. Passport-style photos must be 2” x 2”. The photos must be in color with full face,

frontal view on a white to off-white background. Head height should measure 1” to 1 3/8” from top of hair to bottom

of chin, and eye height is between 1 1/8” to 1 3/8” from bottom of photo. Your head must be bare, unless contrary to

your religious beliefs. Using a pencil or felt pen, lightly print your name and A-Number (if any) on the back of the

photo.

2. Photocopy of Permanent Resident Card. Provide a photocopy of the front and back of your Form I-551 (Permanent

Resident Card). USCIS must be able to read the information on the photocopy. If you have lost your Form I-551,

attach a photocopy of any other entry document or a photocopy of a receipt showing that you have filed Form I-90,

Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.

3. Photocopy of your Current Legal Marital Status Document. Provide a photocopy of your current marriage

certificate, divorce, annulment decree, or death certificate of former spouse.

4. Documents for Military Personnel or Spouses of Military Personnel:

A. Form N-426 (Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service). If you are a current member of the U.S.

Armed Forces, provide a completed and certified Form N-426. If you are separated from the military, provide an

uncertified Form N-426.

B. Evidence of Military Service. If you ever served in the U.S. Armed Forces, provide a Certificate of Release or

Discharge from Active Duty, DD Form 214, for all periods of service. If you are currently serving in an active

duty status within the United States or abroad, you should submit a photocopy of your official military orders.

C. Spouses of Military Personnel have additional requirements. Refer to Naturalization Information for Military

Personnel (M-599) for eligibility requirements. You can obtain this information on the USCIS website at

www.uscis.gov/military.

Below is a list of documents to bring with you to your Form N-400 interview.

1. Permanent Resident Card.

2. State-Issued Identification. Bring a valid State-issued identification, such as a driver’s license.

3. Passports and Travel Documents. Bring valid and expired passports, as well as any travel documents issued by

USCIS.

4. Evidence of Your Current Legal Marital Status. Bring the original of all marriage certificates, divorce or

annulment decrees, death certificates, and other official records to confirm your marital history and your current legal

marital status.

5. Evidence of the Termination of Your Spouse’s Prior Marriage(s). Bring the original of your current spouse’s

divorce certificate. If your spouse is widowed, bring the original of his or her former spouse’s death certificate. If

neither of these are available, bring any other evidence that indicates the termination of your spouse’s marriage for

consideration.

6. Name Change(s). If you have changed your name at any time, bring the document(s) that legally changed your

name(s), such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree, name change petition, or other official record if you ever

changed your name.

7. Other Documents. Depending on the circumstances, you should bring certain documents to your interview. You

may also submit copies of these documents with your application. For example:

A. Spouse of a U.S. Citizen. Bring the following items to your interview if you are applying for naturalization on

the basis of your marriage to a U.S. citizen:

(1) Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for at least 3 years at the time you file your Form N-400.

Such evidence may include: a birth certificate (if your spouse never lost U.S. citizenship since birth),

Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, or Form FS-240 Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen

of the United States of America;

(2) Evidence of the termination of all your prior marriages; and

(3) Evidence that you and your spouse have lived in marital union for at least 3 years at the time you file your

Form N-400. Such evidence may include:

(a) Joint bank and credit card statements;

(b) Leases or mortgages;

(c) Birth certificates of children;

(d) Insurance policies; and

(e) Internal Revenue Service (IRS)-certified copies of the income tax forms that you and your spouse filed for

the past 3 years (or an IRS tax return transcript for the last 3 years).

B. Spouse of a U.S. Citizen Who is Regularly Stationed Abroad. Bring evidence demonstrating your U.S. citizen

spouse’s qualifying employment abroad if you are filing under section 319(b). Such evidence may include:

(1) The employer’ name and nature of the employer’s business;

(2) The nature of the work the U.S. citizen spouse is performing;

(3) Documentation to establish the employing entity is owned in whole or in part by U.S. interests; and

(4) Documentation to establish the employing entity is engaged in whole or in part in the development of the

foreign trade and U.S. commerce.

In addition, bring the following:

(1) Your U.S. citizen spouse’s travel orders which include your name as a spouse;

(2) Documentation to establish your spouse’s employment abroad is scheduled to last for at least 1 year from the

date you filed Form N-400; and

(3) A written statement of your intent to reside abroad with your spouse, and to live in the United States

immediately after your spouse’s employment abroad ends.

etc, I am not copying the entire list.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/n-400instr.pdf

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Bill & Katya said:

My point is that the actual list of Required evidence for the N400 submission is relatively short, and with someone that also has an I751 in process, it seems like overkill.  In our case, we only submitted the required evidence (Katya filed by paper) and took a copy of the I751 submission with us to the interview along with updated tax transcripts and had no issues.

From the N400 Instructions: 

Required Evidence

Below is a list of documents to submit with your Form N-400.

1. Photographs. Only applicants who reside overseas must provide two identical color photographs of yourself taken

recently. The photos must have a white to off-white background, be printed on thin paper with a glossy finish, and

be unmounted and unretouched. Passport-style photos must be 2” x 2”. The photos must be in color with full face,

frontal view on a white to off-white background. Head height should measure 1” to 1 3/8” from top of hair to bottom

of chin, and eye height is between 1 1/8” to 1 3/8” from bottom of photo. Your head must be bare, unless contrary to

your religious beliefs. Using a pencil or felt pen, lightly print your name and A-Number (if any) on the back of the

photo.

2. Photocopy of Permanent Resident Card. Provide a photocopy of the front and back of your Form I-551 (Permanent

Resident Card). USCIS must be able to read the information on the photocopy. If you have lost your Form I-551,

attach a photocopy of any other entry document or a photocopy of a receipt showing that you have filed Form I-90,

Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card.

3. Photocopy of your Current Legal Marital Status Document. Provide a photocopy of your current marriage

certificate, divorce, annulment decree, or death certificate of former spouse.

4. Documents for Military Personnel or Spouses of Military Personnel:

A. Form N-426 (Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service). If you are a current member of the U.S.

Armed Forces, provide a completed and certified Form N-426. If you are separated from the military, provide an

uncertified Form N-426.

B. Evidence of Military Service. If you ever served in the U.S. Armed Forces, provide a Certificate of Release or

Discharge from Active Duty, DD Form 214, for all periods of service. If you are currently serving in an active

duty status within the United States or abroad, you should submit a photocopy of your official military orders.

C. Spouses of Military Personnel have additional requirements. Refer to Naturalization Information for Military

Personnel (M-599) for eligibility requirements. You can obtain this information on the USCIS website at

www.uscis.gov/military.

Below is a list of documents to bring with you to your Form N-400 interview.

1. Permanent Resident Card.

2. State-Issued Identification. Bring a valid State-issued identification, such as a driver’s license.

3. Passports and Travel Documents. Bring valid and expired passports, as well as any travel documents issued by

USCIS.

4. Evidence of Your Current Legal Marital Status. Bring the original of all marriage certificates, divorce or

annulment decrees, death certificates, and other official records to confirm your marital history and your current legal

marital status.

5. Evidence of the Termination of Your Spouse’s Prior Marriage(s). Bring the original of your current spouse’s

divorce certificate. If your spouse is widowed, bring the original of his or her former spouse’s death certificate. If

neither of these are available, bring any other evidence that indicates the termination of your spouse’s marriage for

consideration.

6. Name Change(s). If you have changed your name at any time, bring the document(s) that legally changed your

name(s), such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree, name change petition, or other official record if you ever

changed your name.

7. Other Documents. Depending on the circumstances, you should bring certain documents to your interview. You

may also submit copies of these documents with your application. For example:

A. Spouse of a U.S. Citizen. Bring the following items to your interview if you are applying for naturalization on

the basis of your marriage to a U.S. citizen:

(1) Evidence that your spouse has been a U.S. citizen for at least 3 years at the time you file your Form N-400.

Such evidence may include: a birth certificate (if your spouse never lost U.S. citizenship since birth),

Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, or Form FS-240 Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen

of the United States of America;

(2) Evidence of the termination of all your prior marriages; and

(3) Evidence that you and your spouse have lived in marital union for at least 3 years at the time you file your

Form N-400. Such evidence may include:

(a) Joint bank and credit card statements;

(b) Leases or mortgages;

(c) Birth certificates of children;

(d) Insurance policies; and

(e) Internal Revenue Service (IRS)-certified copies of the income tax forms that you and your spouse filed for

the past 3 years (or an IRS tax return transcript for the last 3 years).

B. Spouse of a U.S. Citizen Who is Regularly Stationed Abroad. Bring evidence demonstrating your U.S. citizen

spouse’s qualifying employment abroad if you are filing under section 319(b). Such evidence may include:

(1) The employer’ name and nature of the employer’s business;

(2) The nature of the work the U.S. citizen spouse is performing;

(3) Documentation to establish the employing entity is owned in whole or in part by U.S. interests; and

(4) Documentation to establish the employing entity is engaged in whole or in part in the development of the

foreign trade and U.S. commerce.

In addition, bring the following:

(1) Your U.S. citizen spouse’s travel orders which include your name as a spouse;

(2) Documentation to establish your spouse’s employment abroad is scheduled to last for at least 1 year from the

date you filed Form N-400; and

(3) A written statement of your intent to reside abroad with your spouse, and to live in the United States

immediately after your spouse’s employment abroad ends.

etc, I am not copying the entire list.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/n-400instr.pdf

In my case, it was good that I submitted everything, because the I751 still wasn’t approved and it wasn’t in front of the officer at N400 interview. So the officer had all information about me, without I751, and my N400 was clean completely without any struggle. The officer liked that I submitted everything.

I like to be over prepared. Just my experience. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hello All,

I am a December 2018, N400 filer.  I received my interview for September 03.  My I-751 case approved somewhere in April' 2019.  I had filed N400 concurrently while my I751 was pending.

I have a question and appreciate any/all suggestions - I didn't receive the physical copy of the Interview letter in mail (I think it got lost in the mail).  However, I do have an online account and I have a copy of the letter from the online account.  Do I need the physical letter from USCIS or can I just use the letter I downloaded from online for going to interview???

Thanks.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Nayda said:

In my case, it was good that I submitted everything, because the I751 still wasn’t approved and it wasn’t in front of the officer at N400 interview. So the officer had all information about me, without I751, and my N400 was clean completely without any struggle. The officer liked that I submitted everything.

I like to be over prepared. Just my experience. 

It most likely would not have mattered since the I751 had to be approved first anyway.  When my wife went for her N400 interview, the IO called me back as well and she had the complete I751 submission in front of her.  We added the updated tax information to the package at that time, and verified the I751 info, then I left and my wife had her N400 interview.  My only point was that most of the information listed is not required evidence for filing the N400, and I for one would not hold up filing if I did not have all that information.  If folks file online, they can always add it later, or as USCIS suggests, bring it to the interview.

1 minute ago, Bill & Katya said:

It most likely would not have mattered since the I751 had to be approved first anyway.  When my wife went for her N400 interview, the IO called me back as well and she had the complete I751 submission in front of her.  We added the updated tax information to the package at that time, and verified the I751 info, then I left and my wife had her N400 interview.  My only point was that most of the information listed is not required evidence for filing the N400, and I for one would not hold up filing if I did not have all that information.  If folks file online, they can always add it later, or as USCIS suggests, bring it to the interview.

I completely understand your point and I agree :) Just sharing my experience. As other people’s helped me too.

Timeline
1 hour ago, asr_nyc said:

Hello All,

I am a December 2018, N400 filer.  I received my interview for September 03.  My I-751 case approved somewhere in April' 2019.  I had filed N400 concurrently while my I751 was pending.

I have a question and appreciate any/all suggestions - I didn't receive the physical copy of the Interview letter in mail (I think it got lost in the mail).  However, I do have an online account and I have a copy of the letter from the online account.  Do I need the physical letter from USCIS or can I just use the letter I downloaded from online for going to interview???

Thanks.

I would print out the letter online.  To my knowledge, there are no differences between the online letter and the mailed letter, and if anyone asks, let them know the mailed one was never delivered.

Good Luck!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
10 minutes ago, Bill & Katya said:

I would print out the letter online.  To my knowledge, there are no differences between the online letter and the mailed letter, and if anyone asks, let them know the mailed one was never delivered.

Good Luck!

Perfect.  Yes, the letter's are identical - that's why I wasn't sweating about it much. 

Thank you very much!

On 7/21/2019 at 12:13 PM, mz_066 said:

Hello Dilip,

I really appreciate your help and advises, I'm sorry if i'm asking too much.

I'm about to write a letter to the officer who interview me. My questions is: What should I say, just ask about the status of the case, or should I attach the documents he was asking about during the interview, which is W2 and proof of rent payments.

Thanks.

Hey,its been 2 weeks since my combo interview. my i751 got approved and i already received a card, but nothing on n 400( i passed but decision couldnt be made at the time). Was going to do the same, did you end up doing it?

1 minute ago, ukrainian said:

Hey,its been 2 weeks since my combo interview. my i751 got approved and i already received a card, but nothing on n 400( i passed but decision couldnt be made at the time). Was going to do the same, did you end up doing it?

Hello,

It's been 4 weeks now since my interview and nothing happened yet. I sent a letter last night but nothing changed yet.

How long it took you to get the GC and which office you had your interview at?

Good luck in advance.

4 minutes ago, mz_066 said:

Hello,

It's been 4 weeks now since my interview and nothing happened yet. I sent a letter last night but nothing changed yet.

How long it took you to get the GC and which office you had your interview at?

Good luck in advance.

it got approved the next day after the interview and came in in mail about 1 week after. it was New Orleans. there were technical difficulties during my n 400 part , now wondering if that got fixed or got forgotten.

Thanks ! Im about to write one myself. hopefully you hear back soon!

Edited by ukrainian

9 minutes ago, ukrainian said:

it got approved the next day after the interview and came in in mail about 1 week after. it was New Orleans. there were technical difficulties during my n 400 part , now wondering if that got fixed or got forgotten.

Thanks ! Im about to write one myself. hopefully you hear back soon!

Sounds good, Keep me updated.  I hope you get it soon.

Hi everyone, new to this forum. I finally sent my N400 today, waiting to see how long the process is and what will happen with my pending I-751. Good luck everyone and congratulations to all of you new citizens! 

I-130 sent: 28th of October, 2015
USCIS received I-130: 2nd of November, 2015
NOA1 - text message: 4th of November, 2015
CASE routed to Nebraska Service Center
NOA1 - mail: About a week later - not sure about the exact date
NOA2 - 8th of March, 2016

Adjustment of Status

AOS packet sent - 6th of June, 2016
AOS delivered/picked up - 7th of June, 2016

3x NOA1 via e-mail/text - 20JUNE, 2016

3x NOA1 hard copy - 24JUNE, 2016

Biometrics letter - 30JUNE, 2016 (appointment date 07/15/2016)

Biometrics done - 1JULY, 2016

Interview for GC scheduled - 15 August, 2016 (date was 15 September, 2016)

EAD/AP approval - 23 AUGUST, 2016

EAD/AP received - 30 AUGUST, 2016

Interview rescheduled - 13 September, 2016

Interview date - 18 October, 2016

Removal of Conditions 

I-751 packet sent: 13th of September, 2018 (Texas),

Text notification of case received : 20th of September, 2018 (receipt number SRC xxxx]

Biometrics: REUSED, notice 22 MAY, 2019

Case transferred: 25 JULY, 2019

N-400

Applied online: 24 JULY, 2019

NOA: 24 JULY, 2010

Biometrics: Appointment scheduled on 8/3/2019 for 22 AUGUST, 2019

Biometrics: successful WALK IN on 8 AUGUST, 2019 (Jacksonville, FL) 

Biometrics: "We reviewed your biometrics" update 8 AUGUST, 2019 

Estimated time of completion: November 2019 (3 months)

On 7/20/2019 at 11:38 AM, kc2177 said:

Hey guys,

I filed ROC in Feb 2018 and then filed for N400 online in May 2019. At first the online time estimate was at 12 months, and then I checked it a few days later and it was at 10 months. Then at the beginning of this month (July), It was at 8 months, but today it bumped down to 6 months. does anyone have any insight on how accurate these estimated processing times are on the online application site?

Hey, around the same time, mine was cut down from 5 months to 2 months and estimated time changed to 4 days! Spoiler alert nothing happened after those 4 days and my waiting times changed to "we are taking longer than expected to process your case ..." I am tending to believe that those times are not accurate.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.